NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-17-2015, 12:18 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
This entire discussion evolved from the OP's unfortunate incident that took place in California. You made your ignorant opinion public by saying that you think all pit bulls should be euthanized.

So, I merely asked that "Should I have to euthanize my pet due to the circumstances of the OP that occurred in California"?
Ok, Phil, let me throw some statistics at you that might hit you a little closer to home (statistics below from Boston).

In 2011, there were 267 reported dog attacks, 54 by pit bulls (20%)
In 2012, there were 251 reported dog attacks, 53 by pit bulls (21%)
In 2013, there were 287 reported dog attacks, 88 by pit bulls (30%)
I do not have complete data for 2014, but at the time the article was published, there were 123 reported dog attacks, 39 by pit bulls (32%)

Notice a trend in the increase?

But pit bulls only make up 3% of the dog population in Boston.

Phil, it doesn't matter what part of the country we're talking about, all the stats are pretty close.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:23 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
It is just frustrating that someone who apparently has no experience at all with a pit bull would be so dismissive when people who have experience with pit bulls share their point of view.
It's also very frustrating that every pit bull owner will tell you the same thing - "Oh, my pit bull would never attack. She's a good family pet and great with the kids" - until it actually happens.

Why is it that all pit bull owners will tell you the same thing, but pit bulls are responsible for a large percent of dog attacks?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:28 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
No, Phil, I'm not going to change my mind. I've seen too many stories, video footage and pictures of the aftermath of a pit bull attack. It bothers me even more when it's a child.

What does California have to do with anything? Are pit bull attacks isolated to only California?

I really hate to bring this up, but I found your posts a bit ironic considering the stances and arguments you make as a hyper-vigilant gun rights advocate.

Rationalizations are brought up like, Pools are dangerous to, why don't we ban pools. Kids die in pools all the time.

From statistics I can find 307 people total have been killed in the U.S. AND Canada by Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes in the 32 year span of 1982 to 2014. That's "total"! Kids, Adults, etc......

http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/32-year-...ack-trends.pdf

Now, I'm going to forget about total gun deaths per year in the U.S. alone, because that's just not fair. Total accidental gun deaths alone.........scrap that out because it's just a vulgar number.

How about just total "accidental" gun deaths in the U.S. alone for children under the age of 18. It's a tough statistic to even pin down, but it seems it ranges in the "100" number.....per year. About half that if you count children under the age of 13.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...-we-dont-know/

I won't even get into the number of people maimed by dogs (all dogs), compared to the number of people maimed by guns.

But I bet, depending on the state you live in, you can bring any number of guns into a PetSmart, without any repercussions at all.

Funny, it just so happens the gun lobby is far more powerful then the pit bull lobby.

You may claim none of this makes any sense to you, they are strawman arguments, not relevant to the point...........but I would disagree with you, especially if I chose to attack with the same logic you are to this topic.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:37 PM

I'm expressing my own opinions which I've formed during my own experiences. You are telling me my experiences are invalid because of someone else's third hand account. But you have nothing to add yourself. So that is frustrating for many other reasons than the hypothetical arguments you're making.

Last edited by packs; 02-17-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:39 PM
Dave

As to the original poster in this thread. I'm sorry you had to go through what you did. Depending on what state you live in, it's pretty cut and dry regarding dog bites that you could get a fairly significant payout from the homeowners insurance company, should you want to go that route, without very much resistance at all. Especially if your injuries have been well documented.

Myself, in my 6 year career as a UPS delivery driver, I was bitten a good half a dozen times by different dogs. Never really serious, except for one time. Always had it taken care of at an urgent care center, and then UPS's insurance company would go after them to cover the health care costs, whatever they might have been. I never went after them personally for compensation, but might have a different view if I was attacked as bad as you were.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:46 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Pit bulls were originally bred for blood sports. That is documented fact, whether anybody agrees or not. They were bred to attack and kill. Period.

Let's say I own both a gun and a pit bull. I can control whether my gun kills or not. I cannot control whether my pit bull is going to attack or not.

You're right, I don't think it's relevant, but I did address it.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:48 PM

Most modern dogs were bred to hunt or provide protection for their masters (i.e. attacking intruders). That is a moot point.

Last edited by packs; 02-17-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:55 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Most modern dogs were bred to hunt. That is a moot point.
There is a huge difference in blood sports (for entertainment purposes) and hunting. If you don't understand the difference between the two, I don't know what else to say.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:56 PM

I do understand the differences but I would bet a dog does not.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:45 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I can't understand a statement that all pit bulls should be euthanized. I am not really into blanket statements in general. That being said, I agree that the pit bull breed seems to be the most dangerous and have the most horrific stories associated with them.

The only experience that I have personally is that my cousin and her husband own a pit bill. They have no kids, so their dog is like a child to them. The dog has interacted with many generations of our family and he is friendly and lovable. If David were to try to euthanize their pet, I would suggest he bring an arsenal. My cousin's husband is also a gun collector .

Jeff
Old 02-17-2015, 03:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

I have never seen so many ignorant statements in one thread. David - you are wasting your time.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:57 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I have never seen so many ignorant statements in one thread. David - you are wasting your time.
Scott - My statements are based on facts that I can back up. Others statements are based on....well, nothing.

Here is a great webiste where you can get a lot of non-biased information as it is a non-profit.

http://www.dogsbite.org/

"In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (326)."

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-17-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Scott - My statements are based on facts that I can back up. Others statements are based on....well, nothing.
There is a lot I would like to say here, but you have it covered well, and the pit bull argument is one of the least productive available.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:40 PM

I live in Ontario, Canada. Pit bulls must be muzzled whenever they are outside, even if they are in a fenced backyard. Why? Too many brutal attacks by this breed. I agree with David (and clearly the Province of Ontario does as well).

Of course there are probably some loving, docile pit bulls, but these dogs can be very unpredictable.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Dave

Quote:

Here is a great webiste where you can get a lot of non-biased information as it is a non-profit.

http://www.dogsbite.org/

"In the 10-year period from 2005 to 2014, pit bulls killed 203 Americans and accounted for 62% of the total recorded deaths (326)."

Really? You can read that site, and with a straight face, tell me it is non-biased because it's non-profit?

The NRA is also a non-profit.

I'm sure that's just an ignorant assumption on my part though.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:11 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Really? You can read that site, and with a straight face, tell me it is non-biased because it's non-profit?

The NRA is also a non-profit.

I'm sure that's just an ignorant assumption on my part though.
The NRA has an agenda.

What is the agenda of the site I linked?

I'll await your response but, after that, I am done with this thread. I apologize the the OP if the thread got derailed. We're forgetting that through all this, there is still someone with some serious dog bite injuries that was just looking for answers on how to proceed.

To the OP, there is some good information on the dogsbite.org website that may benefit you. Here is a link...

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-victim-realities.php
Old 02-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
The NRA has an agenda.

What is the agenda of the site I linked?

I'll await your response but, after that, I am done with this thread. I apologize the the OP if the thread got derailed. We're forgetting that through all this, there is still someone with some serious dog bite injuries that was just looking for answers on how to proceed.

To the OP, there is some good information on the dogsbite.org website that may benefit you. Here is a link...

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-victim-realities.php
David, you bit

He has successfully deflected the argument from pit bulls to the NRA. Now you have to defend your views regarding the NRA, and if you can't then that makes you wrong about pit bulls as well.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Ben North

Quote:
David, you bit

He has successfully deflected the argument from pit bulls to the NRA. Now you have to defend your views regarding the NRA, and if you can't then that makes you wrong about pit bulls as well.
There is nothing wrong with the NRA. They provide a valuable public service by getting guns into the hands of criminals so they can shoot unarmed innocent citizens.

Maybe my botched Woody Allen quote will help derail his(David) posting of ridiculous so called facts.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 AM
Dave

Quote:
David, you bit

It was a correlation. Not a deflection. He said the site was non-biased because it was a non-profit. I could have chosen a 1000 different organizations that was untrue for. I chose the least subtle one I could think of that fit into our conversation about things that can kill people on a regular basis.

Whether the stats are accurate or not on that site is one thing (further research shows they are not). But to go on it and see that it's general tone consists of article after article telling us how Pit Bulls are such killers. Seems to be it's only purpose actually.

It even goes on to blame shelters and animal rights groups for an uptake in Pit Bull violence since the Michael Vick case.

No mention of the trendy practice of the media to label any snub nosed mutt, they can't figure out what breed it is...as a Pit Bull or a Pit Mix.

To say it's unbiased is laughable, all you have to do is a simple Google search on that site to see it's run by a woman who would like to have all Pit Bulls, Pit Bull mixes, and dogs with any sort of "Aggressive" blood line in them, to be sent to the gas chamber

She even gave out her coveted "Dog Warden of the Year" award to a guy who ran a high kill rate shelter, based seemingly on the fact he ran a high kill rate shelter. He was soon run out by the residents of his town because they were disgusted by his practices.

This is just one debunker of that website. Believe me there are many more out there:

http://btoellner.typepad.com/kcdogbl...gsbiteorg.html
Old 02-18-2015, 11:59 AM

That's why I wish personal experience could at least play a little part in this discussion. It has largely been ignored. I think we all acknowledge that pits bite people. But to be so ready to tell someone else their dog should be euthanized without any experience with the breed is a little much.

Last edited by packs; 02-18-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
There is nothing wrong with the NRA. They provide a valuable public service by getting guns into the hands of criminals so they can shoot unarmed innocent citizens.

Maybe my botched Woody Allen quote will help derail his(David) posting of ridiculous so called facts.
Like the one you just posted?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default lawyer

I have a lawyer friend here in Wisconsin. He told me that if I ever get bit by a dog, I should give him a call. He said it is an easy $10,000 in my pocket.

I have never followed up on it, but you might want to contact an attorney.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:44 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I have a lawyer friend here in Wisconsin. He told me that if I ever get bit by a dog, I should give him a call. He said it is an easy $10,000 in my pocket.

I have never followed up on it, but you might want to contact an attorney.

That's a lot of cardboard, or at least a real rare one or two,

but the shih tzu next door is too god damn friendly.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
That's a lot of cardboard, or at least a real rare one or two,

but the shih tzu next door is too god damn friendly.
$10,000 paid by who...if no insurance its always hard to collect....the guy may have t206 green cobbs and Leaf Rookie Jackie's and #53 goudey babe ruth and 51 bowman mantle and mays stashed and hidden away graded..but no money in the bank...
Old 02-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Jim H

Thanks for all the support, I enjoy reading inputs. Here is the latest; my thighs, back, and ribs are black and blue and my skin is itching. The doctor told me to keep the skin dry and let it air out. I take pain killers when I get home from work and rest in the evening.
Animal Control has the dogs in the 10 day quarintine. I need to decide what to do as far getting back some money for material items (clothes torn, bed sheets blood stain, and two pairs of work pants blood stain). I'm hoping the dogs owner is in a panic state.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:00 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
Thanks for all the support, I enjoy reading inputs. Here is the latest; my thighs, back, and ribs are black and blue and my skin is itching. The doctor told me to keep the skin dry and let it air out. I take pain killers when I get home from work and rest in the evening.
Animal Control has the dogs in the 10 day quarintine. I need to decide what to do as far getting back some money for material items (clothes torn, bed sheets blood stain, and two pairs of work pants blood stain). I'm hoping the dogs owner is in a panic state.
Have you tried to contact the dogs owner and ask about getting the money for your expenses? I would guess they would be very happy to pay for your items directly rather than pay much much more if you have to get a lawyer. Good luck with getting your $ and hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
I wouldn't settle for a few dollars reimbursement for some stained sheets. Dude, you've been maimed and it's clearly the fault of some loser who thinks "oh my pit bull is gentle," at least contact a lawyer who handles these types of cases on a contingency and see what he or she thinks.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.