NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 04-30-2015, 08:53 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default My Favorite Quotes:

At a time when a lot of us need to hear some good words or have a good chuckle:

MY FAVORITE QUOTES

“A life is not important except in the impact it has on the lives of others”.
– Jackie Robinson

Like it or not, we live in times of danger and uncertainty. That is the way he lived, that is what he leaves us. My brother need not be idealized, nor enlarged in death beyond what he was in life, but be remembered simply as a good and decent man who saw wrong and tried to right it, saw hurt and tried to heal it, saw war and tried to stop it. Those of us who loved him, and who take him to his rest today, pray that what he was to us, and what he wished for others, will someday come to pass for all the world. As he said many times, in many parts of this nation, to those he touched, and who sought to touch him, “Some men see things as they are, and say, ‘Why?’ I dream things that never were, and say, ‘Why not?’
(Ted Kennedy, at Bobby’s funeral)

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater

“It is played everywhere. In parks and playgrounds and prison yards. In back alleys and farmers' fields. By small children and old men. Raw amateurs and millionaire professionals. It is a leisurely game that demands blinding speed. The only game in which the defense has the ball. It follows the seasons, beginning each year with the fond expectancy of springtime, and ending with the hard facts of autumn. It is a haunted game, in which every player is measured against the ghosts of all who have gone before. Most of all, it is about time and timelessness. Speed and grace. Failure and loss. Imperishable hope. And coming home.” - John Chancellor, Narrator in Ken Burns’ ‘Baseball’

“Hey Lord… Whatever I done… Don’t strike me blind for another couple ah minutes.” – George Kennedy as Dragline in ‘Cool-Hand Luke’

“…and I’m gonna be that way ‘til I’m a DEAD old man.” – Red Foxx as Fred Stanford in ‘Sanford and Son’ responding to his son Lamont calling him a dirty old man.

If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
Barry Goldwater

“This is my most special place in all the world. Once a place touches you like this, the wind never blows so cold again. You feel…like it was your child.” Burt Lancaster as Doc Graham, saying ‘no’ to Ray Kinsella’s invitation to Iowa in ‘Field of Dreams’.

“People will come, Ray. They’ll come to Iowa for reasons they can’t even fathom. They’ll turn up your driveway, not knowing for sure why they’re doing it. They’ll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. “Of course, we won’t mind if you look around,” you’ll say. “It’s only $20 per person.” They’ll pass over the money without even thinking about it, for it’s money they have and peace they lack.
(“Ray, just sign the papers!”)
“Then they’ll walk out to the bleachers and sit in their shirt sleeves on a perfect afternoon. They’ll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they’ll watch the game and it will be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they’ll have to brush them away from their faces.”
(“Ray, when the bank opens in the morning, they’ll foreclose.”)
“People will come, Ray.”
(“You’re broke, Ray. You sell now or you lose everything!”)
“The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It’s been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But Baseball..has marked the time. This field, this game. It’s a part of our past. It reminds us of all that was once good, and could be again. Oh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come.” James Earl Jones as Terence Mann in ‘Field of Dreams’
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
George Carlin

There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of them.
Casey Stengel

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
Yogi Berra

If people don't want to come out to the ball park, nobody's gonna stop 'em.
Yogi Berra

The key to being a good manager is keeping the people who hate me away from those who are still undecided.
Casey Stengel

He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious.
Yogi Berra

All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.
Casey Stengel

I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary.
Yogi Berra

Never make predictions, especially about the future.
Casey Stengel

Good pitching will always stop good hitting and vice-versa.
Casey Stengel

Most ball games are lost, not won.
Casey Stengel

Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.
Yogi Berra

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
Yogi Berra

I was not successful as a ball player, as it was a game of skill.
Casey Stengel

They told me my services were no longer desired because they wanted to put in a youth program as an advance way of keeping the club going. I'll never make the mistake of being seventy again.
Casey Stengel

The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.
Yogi Berra

It gets late early out there.
Yogi Berra

You can observe a lot by just watching.
Yogi Berra

"All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian." – Pat Paulsen

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente