NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Dan Marke1

Default Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens makes ruling on "Ruth's Called Shot"

In case any of you didn't see 60 Minutes tonight, there was a segment on Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens. Most of the news story was devoted to Stevens' 35 years as a Supreme Court Justice. However, the final portion was devoted to Stevens' interest in Chicago's sports including attending Game 3 of the 1932 World Series where Babe Ruth allegedly made the famous called shot. Here's the transcipt from the 60 Minutes website of his account of that event:

In our time with Stevens we expected to cover momentous events, but, in his chambers, we didn't imagine we would get a ruling on one of the greatest controversies in baseball.

We noticed a box score from Game 3 of the 1932 World Series. Legend has it that the Yankees' Babe Ruth pointed to a spot in the Cubs' Wrigley Field and nailed a homerun right there - it's the famous "called shot," but whether it actually happened is ferociously debated.

Remember the fateful year when Stevens was 12? Well, he was here when Ruth came to bat. And we figured it was a question of suitable national importance on which to render this justice's final ruling.

"He took the bat in his right hand and pointed it right at the center field stands and then, of course, the next pitch he hit a homerun in center field and there's no doubt about the fact that he did point before he hit the ball," Stevens recalled.

"So the 'called shot' actually happened?" Pelley asked.

"Oh, there's no doubt about it," Stevens said. "That's my ruling."

"Case closed!" Pelley said.

Stevens said, "That's the one ruling I will not be reversed on!"

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...in;contentBody
Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Clayton

Default Cool

Thanks Dan, that was a good read. Must've been quite a day to have witnessed that in person !!! Mr. Stevens is a lucky guy

Clayton
Old 11-29-2010, 07:15 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Hey, great timing, I just won the 1932 Game 3 WS Program in the Mile High Auction on Friday.

I'm also listening to a book on CD (The Big Bam), outstanding if u have long drive to work, highly recommend, 15 hours on tape. Makes the drive each way fly by.

Ruth years after would tell some people "hell ya I called my shot, pointed right at those F-ing bleachers". Then other times with people he'd say "are you crazy, u'd have to be nuts to do a thing like that."

The next day in Game 4, in the very 1st inning, with runners on 1st & 2nd, Guy Bush, who was riding Ruth the most from the Cubs dugout during his famous at bat, was the starting pitcher for the Cubs, drilled Ruth with the 1st pitch. Payback for yesterday.

So Ruth must have done something.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:07 PM
Johnny S

Very cool, Lou Gehrig is also quoted as saying 'can you believe the nerve of that big monkey calling a shot like that' adding to the fact that he did indeed call his shot.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:57 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Hunt recently sold a scrapbook that had autographed quotes from many of the players at the game. Lot is here:

Link
Old 11-29-2010, 03:40 PM
David McDonald

Charlie Root was one of the fiercest competitors the game ever knew . . . his cigar-chomping, no-nonsense visage was one of the most intimidating tools in his baseball arsenal. Of Ruth's alleged called shot Root said, "If he pointed to the bleachers, I would have put one in his ear and knocked him on his ass." Two days before his death he told his daughter, "I gave my life to baseball, and I'll only be remembered for something that never happened."
Above cobbled together from Wikipedia and elsewhere. The judge saw a gesture 78 years ago when a 12 year old boy. I like Root's version better.