NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2023, 05:32 AM
James M.

Default The Dangers of "Prospecting" and its Impact on Vintage

I don't think any of us, are unfamiliar with this concept or term. I feel like It really took off in the late 80s (Greg Jefferies anyone?) with the hobby boom. With the recent explosion of the past few years, It seems like people are leaving themselves more open to huge financial loses. I feel like this is more prevalent now, than ever before in the social media age, with many younger people wanting to be "Famous Influencers."

The latest case that I ran into, was something I saw on Twitter. I mostly use the platform for breaking sports transactions, but this came across my page recently.

https://twitter.com/cblez/status/1623144423445131264

For those of you who can't see the link, It's some social media "card guru" that explains that he paid $50,000 for a 1 of 1 Austin Martin Signed Card, which has seriously tanked in value. Almost if like "investing" in these rookies is like playing with penny stocks. Never mind all the wonderful vintage he could have bought with that sum! As a side note, I'd love to hear what everyone over here would use that 50K for.

Back to the true point of the post, the outrageous prices of some modern cards, the minuscule chances of any of these players actually putting up numbers that would justify these insane prices, combined with the fact that "1 of 1" means nothing at all at this point, makes me think that that the modern market will fall to pieces in a similar way the hobby on the whole did, in 1994. I do however think that while it will drive the "new money" away from modern, those in vintage, or are getting into vintage, are here to stay. Nothing is going to change CY Young's 511 Wins, Ruth's 714 Homers, or Cobb's 4189 Hits. They'll continue to remain strong, and the new blood in the Vintage side of the hobby, will continue to be involved for years to come. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:45 AM

Default Prospecting

Interesting topic, Seven... I am not surprised by your anecdotes about
modern "prospectors"; however, I am VERY glad I'm not one of them.
Absent the notion of collecting actually to have fun (!!), I'll never understand
why someone looking to invest would skip obviously successful cards,
in favor of guys who have never been to the plate, or taken a shot, or thrown
a football. Seems like I am affirming your opinion on this one.

I have one anecdote that has stuck with me about this topic. About 30 years
ago, I bought a box of baseball (can't even remember what company). The
box cost maybe $20, and I pulled a Tim Salmon insert card. I
took the card to a show a month later, and someone paid me $60 for the card.
I bought a Hank Aaron card with that money Trent King
Old 02-11-2023, 05:49 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
Interesting topic, Seven... I am not surprised by your anecdotes about
modern "prospectors"; however, I am VERY glad I'm not one of them.
Absent the notion of collecting actually to have fun (!!), I'll never understand
why someone looking to invest would skip obviously successful cards,
in favor of guys who have never been to the plate, or taken a shot, or thrown
a football. Seems like I am affirming your opinion on this one.

I have one anecdote that has stuck with me about this topic. About 30 years
ago, I bought a box of baseball (can't even remember what company). The
box cost maybe $20, and I pulled a Tim Salmon insert card. I
took the card to a show a month later, and someone paid me $60 for the card.
I bought a Hank Aaron card with that money Trent King
Trent,
Thanks for your take on my post. I'll never for the life of me, understand it either. I will admit, I occasionally buy a modern box, just to rip open a few packs. Sure, cards today are more of a financial interest then they used to be, but I could never collect something I didn't like. I'll stick to my long retired players, when it comes to buying cardboard.

The Tim Salmon story is perfect for this example. Salmon was certainly no slouch as a player. A solid, consistent contributor, that many Angels fans have come to adore. He is certainly, no Hank Aaron though! Do you still have the Aaron? Would love to see the card you bought, if you still have it!

- James

Donscards.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:27 AM

Let uneducated fools be fools. It's unavoidable.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:27 AM
octavio ranzola

Aston martin terrible investment austin martin even worse lol
Old 02-11-2023, 06:32 AM
Al Stein

Sure, vintage cards are safer than modern. Your cards' prices won't go up or down by as much.

If you are in the hobby to make money, though, you are still speculating. The fact is that for cards to have more value, more people must want to buy them. The question is, as us old farts die off and the new modern collectors lose interest and go away, who will that be?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2023, 06:38 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
This is Funny!
Old 02-11-2023, 06:44 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
Octavio, that gave me a good chuckle. Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Sure, vintage cards are safer than modern. Your cards' prices won't go up or down by as much.

If you are in the hobby to make money, though, you are still speculating. The fact is that for cards to have more value, more people must want to buy them. The question is, as us old farts die off and the new modern collectors lose interest and go away, who will that be?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I think there are enough younger people involved in the Hobby, especially on the vintage side that will keep it strong. The overwhelming majority of my collection, was either long retired or dead by the time I picked up their cards. Hell, Mickey Mantle, my main collecting interest, retired 25 years before I was born! When you're regaled with stories of Aaron, Mantle and Koufax in your childhood, you end up wanting to collect them!

Donscards.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:45 AM

Default Prospecting

To Seven (James)- I agree, once in a great while I buy packs or a box just
to rip open packs

I no longer have the Aaron from the Salmon anecdote. He must have gone on
to bigger and better things. Trent
Old 02-11-2023, 06:46 AM
Tom Re.bert

Default Buy and sell the new!

I'm in the category of buying the new, it sells, the key sell while the player are in hype speculation--my gig open the new, and sell for stupid prices--example--2019-20 Zion and Morant, 2020 Burrow and Herbert, 2022 Rodriguez, I've sold many new cards in the 500.00 range the list goes on and on every year, yep they could have bought a Mantle but not the big instant WOW hit $$$ return. A young buyer pulled a Jalen Green #10 RC graded a 10 sold for $3,000 and didn't think it was enough (?) out of a $15.00 pack so now he is hooked on the new like most younger speculators. I have put up many NEW unopened boxes ( probably too many) to cover the fascination of our younger generation buying habits.

Last edited by Directly; 02-11-2023 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:50 AM
Dave

Why on earth would anybody spend 50K on a 37th round draft pick out of college, who hasn't done anything of note in the minors.

Almost seems made up.

About 10+ years ago, I filled up a decent sized storage locker with a vintage memorabilia buy from an auction house for a lot less then 50K...a looooooooot less. Made my money back many times over, and still sell stuff off from that buy on a regular basis.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 02-11-2023 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:56 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

I enjoy prospecting my Rockies (talk about a bad investment)

I enjoy it because they add to my collection and bring happiness. Regarding modern, I only collect what I enjoy, which is Rockies prospects and early Nolan Arenado cards.

There is No Doubt the Modern Prospecting world is a house of cards and it will tumble to zero.. Penny stocks is a great comparison. Most go to zero over time and a rare needle in the haystack pops now and then. The investors are hoping for the needle, collectors are just building for future enjoyment. (And doing so within a reasonable budget for that collector)

If that same guy in the story didn’t blow his 50K on a stupid purchase baseball card, he probably would have made a much better purchase with a non-fungible token of the same Austin Martin card. We can’t stop this and while I feel bad for all the people losing money they can’t afford....these are just hard lessons learned.

Now, Go Rockies! Our PR team says we have a chance at .500 ball this year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TovarSuper.jpg (183.6 KB, 441 views)
Old 02-11-2023, 06:57 AM
Tom Re.bert

When some modern Lebron or Trout card sells for million's of dollars, what should we expect --yep they might open the right pack and hit the lottery so to speak--AH Please Keep the HYPE going!
Thanks Rockies for your Nolan Arenado plus Paul Goldschmidt??

Last edited by Directly; 02-11-2023 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:40 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Steven, it’s like a penny stocks impact on mega-cap blue-chip dividend aristocrats. The good major big names, Ruth, Jackie, Mantle, and Mays 50’s and earlier quality high-end vintage aren't going down.

ZERO IMPACT
Old 02-11-2023, 08:09 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Why on earth would anybody spend 50K on a 37th round draft pick out of college, who hasn't done anything of note in the minors.

Almost seems made up.

About 10+ years ago, I filled up a decent sized storage locker with a vintage memorabilia buy from an auction house for a lot less then 50K...an looooooooot less. Made my money back many times over, and still sell stuff off from that buy on a regular basis.

37th round out of HS which he didnt sign. Then in 2020 he was the #5 overall pick.

Still dumb $ but he was a top guy.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:16 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I generally avoid commenting on these threads because it seems like we're saying "don't like things I don't like" but there is a different mindset to these collectors / investors. Say what you might about their strategy, they have brought a lot of attention to cards.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:22 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
37th round out of HS which he didnt sign. Then in 2020 he was the #5 overall pick.

Still dumb $ but he was a top guy.

Ah gotcha, didn't notice that. Had a nice 21 game run in Fall ball last year, but not much else.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:50 AM
Joe

Most here are collectors. This guys is a flipper. Huge difference. He wasn’t putting that Martin card in a safety deposit box for his children. He was looking to cash in and speculate some more.
We as collectors ( most of the time collectors) look at $50k and wonder what we can add to our collection.
If people are willing to pay millions for fake 1 of 1’s of Lebron James than celebrate the hobby is alive and well.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:18 AM
George E.

I have recently looked into prospecting a little bit, but hyper-focused on my fan interest, and not more than $20. What I have been wondering about is where is the sweet spot? You have 1/1s/3/5s and the like that are way too expensive to take a risk on buying. And even so, there are, for any given prospect, 20 different RC that come in those low-number versions. And step that up to the 20 / 50 / 99, level, and their 20 different issues, Then there are the 300 - 1000 numbered versions, and then the unnumbered but quantifiably less (like the unnumbered auto versions). Where is that prospecting sweet spot of low-risk entry point but still a chance for return? For instance, I see that you can find RCs of prospects that hit 8 years ago for under $200. What were these cards being sold for eight years ago? $200 doesn't seem like a return in value based on what people are paying for prospects right now. If you pay $200 for a 1/50 card and the prospect turns into a near immediate all-star, will the value even go up? Are people prospecting in hopes they'll b HOFers 25 years from now? Because that doesn't make sense. I'd like to get a card of a young pitcher in my team's system. I have good reason to believe he'll be a fun sensation of sorts. Yet pitchers are terrible investments, especially now that they don't even pitch 5 innings. There may never be another pitcher to be elected to the HOF once this nearly retiring generation is through. But let's suppose he does hit, and in 5 years is a top 3 pitcher in the mlb, and has a trajectory that could spell HOF. What cards would I want to have prospected on that would be paying off? Would the 1/300s, which I could get for $20 right now be anything?

I'm not looking for answers (unless you have some), just pointing out another layer to the prospecting game. The risk/reward is so out of whack that it is a wonder the market functions the way it does. But maybe there is a sweet spot where it can make a little bit of sense, especially if you have a fan investment of the player too. But I'm not sure where that sweet spot is.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:18 AM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Surely, the buyer was confused. He probably thought he was buying a used 2011 Aston Martin for $50,000.00, which is about the right price, and not an 2021 Austin Martin card.

These modern collectors/investors are crazy. They are purchasing cards that are priced as if the player will win X number of championships, Y number of MVPs, and will finish their careers not only as hall of famers, but inter sanctum hall of famers at that.

I’ll stick to boring vintage. Cobb and Mantle aren’t having bad seasons, potentially sustaining season or career ending injuries, or being accused of sexually assaulting women.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:37 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I think there are enough younger people involved in the Hobby, especially on the vintage side that will keep it strong. The overwhelming majority of my collection, was either long retired or dead by the time I picked up their cards. Hell, Mickey Mantle, my main collecting interest, retired 25 years before I was born! When you're regaled with stories of Aaron, Mantle and Koufax in your childhood, you end up wanting to collect them!
Good for you! I hope you convince your friends to be collectors too. Here's a modern Mantle to help bridge the gap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86D Jackson Mantle Auto.jpg (84.7 KB, 335 views)
Old 02-11-2023, 10:58 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Steven, it’s like a penny stocks impact on mega-cap blue-chip dividend aristocrats. The good major big names, Ruth, Jackie, Mantle, and Mays 50’s and earlier quality high-end vintage aren't going down.

ZERO IMPACT

You are wrong. It takes someone(a future mega cap buyer) out of the marketplace, likely for good. It's all about supply and demand. People getting burned losing on the next best thing, tend never to return.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-11-2023, 11:01 AM
James M.

Quote:

ZERO IMPACT
I don't think there's necessarily zero impact. I think the people that want to stay in the Hobby, will do so, just go more into the vintage side of things once the modern market falls flat. I think we see vintage, stagnate for a small while. I do agree I certainly don't think the value of it goes down. But I think for the next few years, outside of the Cobbs, Ruths, and Mantles of the world, I can't see it climbing much higher. But I of course could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Good for you! I hope you convince your friends to be collectors too. Here's a modern Mantle to help bridge the gap.
I wish more of my friends collected! Very few do. Though I have one, that loves the memorabilia side of the game!

Donscards.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:20 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Here is my take: When prospecting, you never dig for young, you dig for old and go for the gold.

JMHO

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:02 PM
Al Richter

Dig in a mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_2023-02-11_130055.jpg (22.7 KB, 282 views)
Old 02-11-2023, 12:05 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
You are wrong. It takes someone(a future mega-cap buyer) out of the marketplace, likely for good. It's all about supply and demand. People getting burned losing on the next best thing, tend never to return.
That’s your opinion. My opinion is people with money thinking about spending big on cards aren’t speculating on prospecting sorry not happening.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:16 PM
Scott Russell

I'll get back into prospecting as soon as I break even on my Felix Jose hoard...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-11-2023, 03:01 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
That’s your opinion. My opinion is people with money thinking about spending big on cards aren’t speculating on prospecting sorry not happening.
Ever go see a collection of cards? 99% are 1987 topps to 1993 topps. The "speculative" years. Those people never returned to the hobby. That's fact.

Whether or not they would have if not for the "greg Jefferies" hype and speculation, that is opinion.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-11-2023, 03:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Julio Rodriguez -- back up the truck!!

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:58 PM
Jeremy

Quote:

Nothing is going to change CY Young's 511 Wins, Ruth's 714 Homers, or Cobb's 4189 Hits.
Funny, I remember when it was 4191 hits.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 02-11-2023, 03:59 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-11-2023, 05:06 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default It’s not rational

The only thing that really seems to make sense is supply and demand, with a whole lot of irrational exuberance on the demand side and artificially suppressed supply.

In effect, people with way too much money to blow are paying handsomely for the right to be the only one to own this item. And everyone who is anyone right now is jonesing bad to have it now, because hot prospect #7 in the draft is bound to be the next big thing some day. So they bid like drunken sailors in an attempt to out-stupid each other.

And in the end, they pay richly for the privilege of owning it for a hot second until the next new shiny toy comes along and everyone has to have that one instead. Lather, rinse, repeat.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 02-11-2023, 06:35 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
The only thing that really seems to make sense is supply and demand, with a whole lot of irrational exuberance on the demand side and artificially suppressed supply.

In effect, people with way too much money to blow are paying handsomely for the right to be the only one to own this item. And everyone who is anyone right now is jonesing bad to have it now, because hot prospect #7 in the draft is bound to be the next big thing some day. So they bid like drunken sailors in an attempt to out-stupid each other.

And in the end, they pay richly for the privilege of owning it for a hot second until the next new shiny toy comes along and everyone has to have that one instead. Lather, rinse, repeat.
When I first started reading, I thought you were talking about the Ruth Baltimore News, haha.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:52 PM

I think prospectors are more likely than vintage collectors to be buyers of scratch off lottery tickets.

They buy them because they like the thrill of gambling. And there is a bit of research involved so they can pay themselves on the back if they “hit.”

No self-respecting person should play slot machines or buy a lottery ticket; yet surprisingly enough they do. Whatever is the underlying emotion that compels them to do that is likely what drove this guy to pay $50k for a card of nobody who wants to be a somebody but will never be an anybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2023, 08:22 PM
Fred

Quote:
I don't think any of us, are unfamiliar with this concept or term. I feel like It really took off in the late 80s (Greg Jefferies anyone?) with the hobby boom. With the recent explosion of the past few years, It seems like people are leaving themselves more open to huge financial loses. I feel like this is more prevalent now, than ever before in the social media age, with many younger people wanting to be "Famous Influencers."

The latest case that I ran into, was something I saw on Twitter. I mostly use the platform for breaking sports transactions, but this came across my page recently.

https://twitter.com/cblez/status/1623144423445131264

For those of you who can't see the link, It's some social media "card guru" that explains that he paid $50,000 for a 1 of 1 Austin Martin Signed Card, which has seriously tanked in value. Almost if like "investing" in these rookies is like playing with penny stocks. Never mind all the wonderful vintage he could have bought with that sum! As a side note, I'd love to hear what everyone over here would use that 50K for.

Back to the true point of the post, the outrageous prices of some modern cards, the minuscule chances of any of these players actually putting up numbers that would justify these insane prices, combined with the fact that "1 of 1" means nothing at all at this point, makes me think that that the modern market will fall to pieces in a similar way the hobby on the whole did, in 1994. I do however think that while it will drive the "new money" away from modern, those in vintage, or are getting into vintage, are here to stay. Nothing is going to change CY Young's 511 Wins, Ruth's 714 Homers, or Cobb's 4189 Hits. They'll continue to remain strong, and the new blood in the Vintage side of the hobby, will continue to be involved for years to come. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
A social media knucklehead with money doesn't make him a card guru - it makes him someone with money that hasn't got a clue.

I'd feel like an idiot telling everyone I spent $50K on a card that is going to be worth dog crap soon. Look at all the vintage stuff you can get for $50K - wow (ok, not near as much as lets say, 5 years ago). Complete sets, Cobb, Ruth and all the other one time hot rookies/players...

Let's say Tatis Jr actually puts up obscene numbers for the next 5 years. People will be jumping all over his 1/1s, shiny crap and rookie cards. What happens after he starts putting up normal numbers and reaches his 30th birthday and everybody is on the next potentially hot rookie/player. I have a difficult time believing those Tatis cards will continue to increase in value. Hell, by the time Tatis hits his 30th birthday, the whole phenomena/stupidity of buying all these crazy modern cards will probably be over. All those people that spent TONS of money on those cards will be wondering what happened to their "investments". That whole "asset class" of cardboard will become a passe investment strategy that turned into losses for the people that didn't have a clue. Oh, I guess I could be wrong - somehow, I think not.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:40 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I love these hobby 'influencers.' They influence me to never watch one of their videos or ever listen to a word they say about anything. Perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 02-11-2023 at 08:40 PM.