NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Default How about a baseball card movie ?

Has anyone seen "Dimished Capacity" ? It stars Alan Alda as an old man with a very rare Wildfire Schulte card (looks like a T206 size-wise) and Matthew Broderick plays his nephew, who is driving him to a card show to sell it ?
I saw it a while back and the discussion about baseball movies made me wonder if others were aware of it.
Have a great day !
Old 12-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Jake

I've wanted to see this movie, but have not been able to find it on t.v.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default MASK with Cher & Eric Stoltz

1955 Brooklyn Dodger Cards
Old 12-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Wayne Walker

I wanted to like the movie but couldn't. I thought it was terrible.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 12-14-2012, 06:22 AM
bi11h00d

"Cop Out" with Bruce Willis. Story revolves around somebody stealing his 1952 Andy Pafko.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Ted Zanidakis

"Rainman"

Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise....at the start of the movie, Dustin is displaying his BB card collection.

TED Z
Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Plum View Post
"Cop Out" with Bruce Willis. Story revolves around somebody stealing his 1952 Andy Pafko.
That's a good one.Gem Mint Pafko I can't remember what Willis said the value was though.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold View Post
Has anyone seen "Dimished Capacity" ? It stars Alan Alda as an old man with a very rare Wildfire Schulte card (looks like a T206 size-wise) and Matthew Broderick plays his nephew, who is driving him to a card show to sell it ?
I saw it a while back and the discussion about baseball movies made me wonder if others were aware of it.
Have a great day !
It's on Netflix streaming...it was almost unwatchable in my opinion. The dealers were just caricatures and the acting all around was horrible.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I stuck it in my cue
Old 12-16-2012, 01:40 PM

The movie A Christmas Story has some old cards near the beginning, stuck to the headboard of Ralphie's bed. If you're anything like me, you'll see that scene about 6-10 times nine days from now
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I concur Diminished Capacity was ok...worth watching...the way they handle baseball cards in these always drives me up the wall. My mother-in-law who had dementia, lived with us for several years until her death, so it was interesting to me from that perspective.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
The movie A Christmas Story has some old cards near the beginning, stuck to the headboard of Ralphie's bed. If you're anything like me, you'll see that scene about 6-10 times nine days from now
Ralphie also mentions "Rube Walker" calls him "Ruby" as many of us oldtimers did. Dave. Kinda like "Hooteman or Houteman"?
Old 07-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
Ralphie also mentions "Rube Walker" calls him "Ruby" as many of us oldtimers did. Dave. Kinda like "Hooteman or Houteman"?
You can see some T206 cards taped/glued to Ralphie's headboard in one scene from A Christmas Story.

Anyone seen Brighton Beach Memoirs? Lots of cards/memorabilia on the walls of the main character's bedroom.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 PM
I@n Cl@rke

The Natural- it has the uncut sheets of wanna be '41 Play Ball type cards

Mask- Rocky Dennis rips his buddy's '55 Topps card... I think it's Rube Walker but might be wrong.. Check that, I think he rips a '74 Topps Dodger (Cey?).. But think they have a '55 Rube Walker

Major League- Pedro Cerrano has a '54 Topps Aaron hanging in his locker

Boardwalk Empire- Jimmy's son has a stack of T206's including a Cobb bat on (assuming reprints)

I'll add more if they occur to me... I'm not sure this is the OP's intention but I like where this is going.

ADDING-

Jacob's Ladder- sort of a downer here... little McAauly Culkin while crossing the drops a stack of '74 Topps cards and gets run over by a car while picking them up

Stand By Me- Gordie Le Chance's big bro (John Cusack) has some Topps cards hanging from his wall.. I think maybe a '60 Mantle? Which I think I remember bugging me because the movie is supposed to be in the late '50's. I may be making that memory up though.. Haven't seen the movie in year

Big- flipping through a wax pack ('86 or '87 based on shooting dates) saying, "got em, got em, need him, got em"

Last edited by itjclarke; 07-31-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Adding-