NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 10-06-2022, 05:51 PM
Jeremy

Default Mets Jeff McNeil wins NL Batting Title!

Let's Go Mets!!!

It's great to see a throwback slap hitter win the batting title. I love everything about his swing and approach to the game, good for him!

I was fortunate enough to go to my first Mets game at the end of August and got to see McNeil hit an infield single to Trea Turner AND be able to buy the ball after the 7th inning from the memorabilia shop. Very happy to have this ball in my collection and congrats to Jeff McNeil!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MetsDodgersCitifield2.JPG (52.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg mcneil.JPG (109.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 10-07-2022, 09:04 AM
John I.

Well, I'm happy. I picked him up for my fantasy baseball team after the draft as a free agent.

I've always liked him anyhow. .300 hitters are hard to find these days.

Nice ball, btw.

Last edited by John1941; 10-07-2022 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:30 AM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1941 View Post
Well, I'm happy. I picked him up for my fantasy baseball team after the draft as a free agent.

I've always liked him anyhow. .300 hitters are hard to find these days.

Nice ball, btw.
Agreed, it's great to see a throwback slap hitter who just hits em' where they ain't win the batting title. He reminds me a lot of Ichiro in his approach and execution. I saw Ichiro hit an infield single in Seattle in 2010 and McNeil hit an infield single this year, both were eerily similar.
Old 10-07-2022, 10:41 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Though 'My' Braves otherwise dominated the Mets during that last series, McNeil was outstanding. If Alonso and Lindor had done as well, the series results would have been reversed.

It gave me an upset stomach when the Braves then lost 2 of 3 to the lowly Marlins...never a good sign to end a regular season that way.

But, I'm glad they get five days off instead of having to play tonight, tomorrow and possibly Sunday, then be 'rewarded' by having to face the Dodgers.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-07-2022, 11:00 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

An impressive recovery from last season too. Not many .300 hitters this year.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:11 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
An impressive recovery from last season too. Not many .300 hitters this year.
Very impressive. He had a big power year, then tried to duplicate it in 2020 and it backfired. He went back to his choke-up/slap-hitting ways and now he has a batting title.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:33 PM

Both batting titles went to slap hitters this year. Luis Arraez won the AL title while hitting all of 8 home runs.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:11 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
Both batting titles went to slap hitters this year. Luis Arraez won the AL title while hitting all of 8 home runs.
Yep, I love it! McNeil had 9 home runs. I was watching an interview and he always chokes up on that knobless bat, but he had to separate his hands a bit while he recovered from a finger injury, so the announcers were talking about him looking like Willie Keeler. Any time a Willie Keeler reference is brought up to compare a modern day player then they are doing it right.

Here is his standard grip:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcneil2.JPG (44.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:22 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

agree he is a very good small ball player/hitter. He is less valuable when he is going for long ball.
As long as they use him right like they have all year then his is great for his role. Now he is a batting Champ.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-07-2022, 05:36 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

lfgm!!!!!!

(This is really weird, but it wouldn't let me put it in all caps. WTF??) (Wait, but it lets me put "WTF" in all caps???? Strange days, indeed.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 10-07-2022 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2022, 06:00 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I'm happy for the Flying Squirrel. Apparently he is an excellent golfer in his non-baseball time.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 10-07-2022, 10:27 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I'm happy for the Flying Squirrel. Apparently he is an excellent golfer in his non-baseball time.
Good point, I forgot the best part about McNeil, he has an amazing nickname! Not more lazy stuff like A-rod, it’s the Flying Squirrel!