NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-19-2011, 07:41 AM
chris

Default HELP - Removing crop marks ect. from photos

Does anyone out there have any experience removing crop marks ect. from old newspaper photos?

I've heard it can be done but not sure how to go about doing it???

Thanks,

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1908 cuban tour sign crop 3.jpg (74.1 KB, 249 views)
Old 01-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Steve Birmingham

I wouldn't try. Water will damage the photo for sure. Removing the marks will require some kind of solvent. It's also possible that the black is India ink which is very hard to remove. The only stuff I ever had luck with removing india ink from anything was with 111 trichloroethane. And that's been essentially off the market since 2002 and before. I couldn't buy it induustrially as a cleaner after about 1998. Its replacement is alcohol related, and will also wreck photos.

Aside from the difficulty, I like seeing the cropping/image changes done manually back then. To me it adds to the picture as a historical object.
Especially if you can find the original item the photo was published in.

Steve B
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Dave

If the cropping marks are done with a wax pencil they can simply be rubbed off with a cloth. In the case of the picture you showed that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't think there's much you can really do.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 AM

It can be done with mixed results if you know what you are doing. White and Gray are not bad but I would not attempt the black, it is heavier material and almost always will start to peel the gelatin surface and damage the photo.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I collect wire photos and love the marks...JMO, but it adds to the history of the photos.

Jeff
Old 01-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
I collect wire photos and love the marks...JMO, but it adds to the history of the photos.

Jeff
I agree.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 AM
chris

Default Re - HELP - Removing crop marks ect. from photos

Thanks for everyone's input.

I'm pretty sure that Steve B's assumption is correct, that it is indeed india ink. So, I guess it's going to stay the way it is. I've attached a scan of the full image. It measures approximately 4" x 10". This was one of my "holy grail" items. Pictured are the 1908 Cincinnati Reds on there tour of Cuba! Included in the picture are: baseball hall of famer Miller Huggins (far left standing) and Frank "Banny" Bancroft (Center Standing) who was instrumental in bringing Major League baseball to Cuba and Cubans to the major leagues. He should be in the baseball hall of fame. After many years of searching, this is the first item I have encountered that dealt with this tour.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1908 cuban tour_res. 200.jpg (81.3 KB, 144 views)
Old 01-20-2011, 02:12 PM
David McDonald

Chris: Seeing the whole piece, the impact of the edit marks is not as affecting. I'm not crazy about edit marks either so I can understand why you'd want to investigate their removal. Realizing that it is a "holy grail" item for you (and it is indeed a right smart photograph) I wouldn't take the risk of tampering with it. What you might consider doing is making a high-res scan and do a Photoshop clean-up of the worst marks. You could probably smooth out that crease and even put a face back on the one guy. I have no Photoshop skills myself but on a few occasions I have taken pictures to a local camera shop to "Stalinize" stray faces etc and have been very pleased with the result. You'd have the original as an artifact and a nice presentation image.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Jon Canfield

I think David posted a great idea. Make a high resolution scan and then usig photoshop, fix the portions of the picture that need repair. You could even replace the missing face with a clone from a different photo of the same guy, taken at approximately the same angle.

The photoshop repairs actually would not be too difficult to do and you would be left with a BEAUTIFUL edited version for display purposes, while the original can stay tucked away.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Paul

Default Great ideas by everyone!

Great suggestions by everyone, and I totally concur as to leaving it alone in it's current state, and doing photoshop on a high res scan to make a copy look like new. I would really like to see the details of all those fans in the background going all the way across. That and the palm trees make it a very interesting photo as well. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:50 AM

BTW, I am pretty sure that the guy with the missing face is non other than Dick Hoblitzell in his Rookie year. I have a ton of vintage photos of Hoblitzell from his estate if you want one to photoshop in there for display.

Rhys
Old 01-22-2011, 12:43 PM
chris

Default 1908 reds in cuba - hoblitzell

Thanks, Rhys. It is indeed Hoblitzell. I would love to have any image you think would fit.Chris
Old 01-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Shinzo Shimozukawa
Banned

Last edited by shimozukawa; 02-16-2011 at 11:14 PM.