NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post
I was able to meet Ryne Sandberg and get my card signed last Tuesday at spring training. It was really cool that he remembered the card and my Instagram post. Mission Complete!
That's way cool!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 PM
qu@n nguy3n

sorry i don't see the point of this, waste of a signature...but i'm glad ryno was gracious enough to sign it and included the HOF inscription.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 AM

I know this card is not worth much, but to me this card has more value than any other Sandberg autographs that I currently own. It was 26 years in the making when I first put that card in my wallet in my 9th grade Algebra class. I'll never forget that day and the joy I had when he signed it. And for good measure, he also signed a ball for me, so I also got a nice and clean autograph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
sorry i don't see the point of this, waste of a signature...but i'm glad ryno was gracious enough to sign it and included the HOF inscription.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
One of my favourite signed cards I have seen on this site.
+1 The items that people get because they truly love them and don't care about the value are always the best.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:02 AM

Glad this worked out for you and also that everything I heard about Sandberg was true.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post
I was able to meet Ryne Sandberg and get my card signed last Tuesday at spring training. It was really cool that he remembered the card and my Instagram post. Mission Complete!
That's flat out great. Congrats Niembre!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:39 AM
Dave Foster

I'd call this a pity signing becuz of how pitiful the card is.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:06 PM
Scott S

Quote:
I think the card and signature are very cool - most people on here are collectors at the very core, and not every autograph or card has to be about the value of the almighty buck attached to it.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Curt

There had to be more people thinking the same thing and good for you for being the first to actually post it for all to see. I expected the exact response you received. Although you simply shared your opinion and it was 180 degrees from the owners, you were still judged for it.

I agree as well and it isn't based on value in my eyes. I am one that would, without a 2nd thought, take that extreme the other way and have something so valuable signed that many would shudder just at the thought of it. I just always liked a nicer item for my collection and something that worn out would be a waste of a signature in my eyes, even if I had unlimited access to said signature.

I get how someone may have a sentimental attachment for an item like that, although I don't really get that either. I have never kept anything in my wallet for that long, let alone anything that wasn't needed in there. To each their own though and it makes for an interesting story.

Quote:
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 PM
qu@n nguy3n

my intention wasn't to bash at all. my most sentimental card is a 1989 donruss jose canseco 40/40 club or '89 score roger clemens, and although they're worthless i would never even consider dinging a corner or creasing it, maybe i'm just a condition freak.

to each their own tho, i never tell someone how to collect and i always find it funny when people ask what they should get next...if you don't know what you want and need other people's advice maybe it's time for a new hobby.