NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Default Should I say something about it?

Let's say that there was a major auction coming up, to sell items from a very well known person's collection. And let's say that there was a fairly significant item with a beautiful display and description in the catalog stating that this is THE ONLY KNOWN COPY, and it is not. What is the proper thing to do? Should I say something to the auction house? Should I say something to collectors/bidders so that they make an informed decision?

I know it is not the only one because I owned another one of these items, and it is not the same one. I know of at least 2 others, unless this one is from the Halper collection, and if it were, I believe the description would say so. What would you do?

Robbie >>

I may post this to the memorabilia side.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Dave Fa*st

Yes, I'd say something to the auction ouse. It may well be an honest mistake.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Banned

Robbie,

It's been my experience when notifying auction houses of such an error that nothing gets done. More than once I've read "only one known" descriptions, only to have another example of the described item sitting in my basement. Sometimes I've even e-mailed a photo as proof. I suppose the auction house can maintain that unless its representatives see another example in person, theirs is the only one known to them. I suppose.

Looking at the bright side, most bidders know to take all such puffery that auction houses spew with a grain of salt.

(Like you, in the very auction to which you're referring, there's an item described as "Extremely rare, this is the only one we've ever seen." I have one, have seen another offered at a National and have seen two others for sale on eBay. Who knows, maybe my eyesight is above average.)

Last edited by Rob D.; 12-05-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:22 PM

They said only known copy and if they didn't know of yours, they were correct.

My experience is to never say anything is the only example, because when you do that usually means a second and third will pop up in the future. If on eBay you honestly say "This is the only one I've seen before" that's fine. You're only discussing what you've seen. No one says you have to see and know all.

Last edited by drc; 12-05-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Hi Guys...

I thought that a major auction house would at least check major auctions before proclaiming something "the only one." We're talking the Halper Collection! I guess, based on what Rob D says, I'm expecting too much.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
Hi Guys...

I thought that a major auction house would at least check major auctions before proclaiming something "the only one." We're talking the Halper Collection! I guess, based on what Rob D says, I'm expecting too much.
Well, my thoughts and experiences obviously are anecdotal. Who knows, maybe the auction house in question strives for accuracy and will welcome your input. It's worth a shot.

Please let us know the result if you contact the auction house.

Last edited by Rob D.; 12-05-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:50 PM

It seems obvious to me that the thing to do is let the auction house know. I would be surprised if they did not change their online description if you have convincing evidence of another example.
JimB
Old 12-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Craig

Well enough with the suspense.
Which lot in the Mastro auction are you referring to?
Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Joe M.

Lot 508 says "Only Known copy", not sure if that is the item though.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 12-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Jon Canfield

Joe - funny you mention lot #508. When I saw it, I thought to myself it's not the only known copy as I know another board member owns a copy (and has displayed it before).
Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Jon Canfield

Here's the other calendar from the thread on this board... clearly a different example.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ghlight=wagner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3658993660_e276f5fded_b.jpg (74.2 KB, 340 views)
Old 12-05-2010, 11:57 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Speaking of only known copies, is Lot 309 really the only known copy of a 1922 Ruth "Home Runs Chocolate" postcard?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The times I've spotted that sort of error and have emailed them, they've corrected it online.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 AM

I see no downside to bringing it to the attention of the auction house. It could add significantly to their trustworthiness to acknowledge and correct the error. And if they don't, well I think that says a lot too.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Bob B.

Default Only known...

That's my copy Jon shows above. I was going to notify them myself, but have not yet and probably don't need to at this point. Looks like I have the only un-restored copy now.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Is this the Michael Jordan shooting shirt?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Doug Allen

Default Not the only one known

I emailed Robbie when I saw this post last night. The offered example was purchased from the Halper sale. This and the fact that it is not the only example known has been added to the Internet listing.

As I indicated to Robbie never hesitate to contact us if there is a question or clarification is needed. You will note we made modifications to the Mueller Deacon statue lot 2 and the fingerless glove lot 786 as a result of great feedback from customers.

My staff and I will obviously be available throughout the week if questions arise. Bottom line we want to get it right.

The reception to the material has been unprecedented.

Btw if you are not an active bidder feel free to contact us if you want a catalog.

Doug Allen