NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Mikeknapp

Default Yasiel Puig

As a long suffering Pirate and Indian fan the Dodgers are my guilty pleasure. I got the pleasure of watching Yasiel Puig in the Cactus League. He was a stunning talent to behold. At 22 he is 6’3” and 245 lbs., he looked, moved and played like Bo, only with more discipline at the plate. In 27 games he hit .517 and had a .828 slugging percentage. In one game I saw him work his way back from an 0-2 count and then drive a 3-2 curve ball over 400 feet for a homer. His next at bat he slapped a slider away to right field and then stole second base. He then singled and tripled in his next two at bats. Although it was a spring training game his talent was undeniable.

The Dodgers have optioned him to AA Chattanooga. Mattingly claims, “He needs a little work in certain areas, the details of the game”. One of those details would be who would be willing to take Carl Crawford and his contract off the Dodgers hands so Puig can play. I hope the Dodgers make the rumored trade of Ethier for Kinsler. This would allow Profar to play in Texas and open a spot for Puig in LA and would benefit both clubs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?p...level='ALL'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AxqHudDCQAAdfZb.jpg (53.4 KB, 380 views)
Old 04-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Looks like he will be starting tonight for Chattanooga in their home opener, with the big contract I can't imagine he'll be down there for too long.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:26 PM
qu@n nguy3n

he's still green. has only played 30 games in the low A after a year and a half layoff. he needs more seasoning. zero walk in ST.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
he's still green. has only played 30 games in the low A after a year and a half layoff. he needs more seasoning. zero walk in ST.
I disagree. He played for the Cuban National team and for Cienfuego for two years prior to defecting. He has hit well at every level, albeit in brief stints, with the Dodgers. I have to believe that his experience to date has prepared him for the opportunity to join the Dodger roster.

Cespedas was a product of the same Cuban system where he played 4 seasons. He signed with Oakland in February 2012 and made his MLB debut a month later. The lack of minor league seasoning does not seem to have effected him.

Before he made his MLB debut Bryce Harper's seasoning included one year of Minor League ball and Community College. Surely JC ball is a bit less competitive than the Cuban National team.

After high school Mike Trout played 44 Rookie League games, 131 games at A ball, and the 91 games at AA before playing his first MLB game at age 20.

The seasoning you refer to was not a factor in the development of these three players because they are freakish talents just as Puig is. I am not saying that he will necessarily duplicate their success but it would be fun to watch him try!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Not bad so far.
Puig's Stats
Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
Not bad so far.
Puig's Stats
He must think it is still spring training
Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
He must think it is still spring training
Sure looks like it. If he keeps this up, it won't be long at all before he's in the bigs.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:25 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Wonder if he's been tested yet? Look at those arms!?! Not saying he's doing anything, but that pic is kinda scary!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Mikeknapp

Injured and just off the DL he was struggling a bit but still has decent numbers

AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI
.333 14 54 9 18 3 1 4 11

He already has a record as well.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr...ested-20130428

I hope this is evidence of being colorful not troubled.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Mikeknapp

Puig continues to be impressive.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=624577
Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Looks like our boy had a nice MLB debut!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Jake

This guy is getting some decent press.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/d...el-puig-060313

http://www.baseballnation.com/2013/6...gers-mlb-debut

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodger...,1369399.story

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!

Last edited by Jlighter; 06-04-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Mikeknapp

Awesome news! As evidenced by last nights performance, Puig will be very exciting and fun too watch. That throw was pure unfiltered athletic ability. Perhaps he will be around long enough for Fox reporters to learn how to pronounce his name..."Yosio Puig"??

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodger...,1369399.story

Will Joc Pederson be next? His numbers are very comparable to Puigs and he is even younger.
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=592626
Old 06-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Eric Shaeffer

He's on FIRE!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Mikeknapp

Default Puigamania

As Vin Scully said, "Havana Cuba has arrived, Viva Piug!!!" He has two homers, a double and five RBI tonight how much fun is that? This has a Fernando Mania feel to it already. Ironically Mike Brito signed them both.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Its just great fun, what a ballplayer, but can their pitching hold out?
Old 06-05-2013, 06:49 AM
bi11h00d

Hopefully, he's not all hype. I just picked him up in my fantasy league. Being in last place, my team can use all the help it can get. My main pitchers Cain & Haren. along with Marcum and Miley have been huge disappointments.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

picked him up in my fantasy league and very happy so far, lol
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Mikeknapp

He was 2-4 with a grand slam tonight. This ridiculously fun and only could happen in Hollywood

http://m.mlb.com/2013_06_06_atlmlb_l...am=home&type=b
Old 06-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Really hard to believe, and he's still raw. Hopefully he'll be humble, all this quick success can destroy a guy.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:36 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Four homers in five games now, seems to have reinvigorated the whole team!
Old 06-11-2013, 04:12 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

he hasn't stopped hitting yet.... And I drafted him thinking I would get some stolen bases. lol
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Interesting stat line

After 32 ABs and 16 hits and 1 walk,

he has scored only 4 runs.

I think I have discovered his flaw.

With four home runs and four runs scored,

he appears to be incapable of being batted in by another player.

He only scores if he hits a home run.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Mikeknapp

I remember when I first started as an associate scout for the Reds. The area scout I worked with asked me if I knew what a MLB hitter actually looked like in high school. I told him I thought so. I did not. He took me to a game in White Salmon which is a small town Washington to see such a creature. There were more scouts and GMs in the stands than fans. The player he brought me to see was so far off the charts it was ridiculous. At the plate his talent made it appear as if he were an adult playing with children. He was drafted later that year and never got higher than AA due to serious and chronic injuries. However, I never forgot how impressive he was compared to his peers. The only other HS school players I saw like that were Travis Snyder and Tim Lincecum.

When I first saw Puig in spring training this year it was honestly the same sensation. You could not see his ability without knowing that you were seeing something special.
Like I said in post #1 of this thread Puig is the most impressive raw talent I have ever seen. Despite this I am still shocked at his current numbers. If you combine all of his stats from this season between the Cactus League, Chattanooga, and the MLB he is hitting .390 with 12 homers after 236 at bats. Ironically he struggled in AA by only hitting .313. I am sure he will struggle in the near future once the pitchers figure him out but I think his performance brings to rest any talk of his needing seasoning. I think that if he stays healthy and continues to mature mentally and physically we could be seeing a once in a generation talent. This is not a fluke or an over hyped player, this young man is something very, very special. We should all sit back and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by 71buc; 06-11-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 AM
pariah1107

White Salmon?! I may know who you're talking about... might it be Brandon Verley? Try to make it to as many Cascade ballgames as I can and remember his (2003?) Columbia High team.

Puig seems to be making a big splash in LA, much like Trout last season. Probably single-handedly will save Mattingly's job.

Hope everything is going well Mike.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
White Salmon?! I may know who you're talking about... might it be Brandon Verley? Try to make it to as many Cascade ballgames as I can and remember his (2003?) Columbia High team.

Puig seems to be making a big splash in LA, much like Trout last season. Probably single-handedly will save Mattingly's job.

Hope everything is going well Mike.
Hi Ty,
It's a very small world isn't it? Yes it was Brandon Verley. He was a sight to behold in the box. He was destined for first base as he was not much of an outfielder, but my God he was an absolute savant at the plate. At that time he was actually more impressive than Travis Snider. It's a really a shame he did not get to enjoy his talents at the highest level. The last time I saw him play he was walked intentionally three times despite his team being behind by seven runs. In his last at bat every scout in the stands looked into the opposing dugout at the coach. He then nodded to the pitcher. The pitcher challenged him with a fastball that was hit into the trees about 450 feet away. I have never seen a ball hit that hard. It left the park much like a golf ball stuck by a driver. The area scout I worked with looked at me and said, "That is a major league hitter. He knew that representatives from 20 MLB teams were in the stands. He was given only one pitch to earn his money and performed when it mattered most". I scouted for the Reds for a couple of more years before moving onto the Indians for a season and then the Nationals. It was a lot of fun for about five years and then life got in the way and I had to give it up.

Thanks for asking, I am doing well. Ironically, my friend who I donated my kidney to last month was the scout that took me to see Brandon Verley. He is doing fantastic. Recovery has been hell for me but when I see how well my friend is doing it is worth the pain and drama. There are few times in life when you afforded the chance to make an impact on someone's life in a positive life changing manner. I was blessed with that opportunity and remain grateful for it.

Mike
Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Mikeknapp

I promise I will quit talking about Blitzpuig after this post no matter how difficult it may be. I just hope that both pre and post war guys understand how special this guy is. He throws out runners at first and third from right field, goes from first to third on ground balls to short, stretches singles up the middle into doubles, and drops bombs for good measure. He reminds me why I love this game so desperately.

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar..._team/13935652
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard38 View Post
What do you think of Joc Pederson, Mike?
He too is very talented and signed for much less than Puig. He is another 5 tool player and is younger than Puig. The Dodgers struck gold with him as an 11th round pick. I didn't get to see him play in Spring Training but I am looking forward to seeing him play in the Futures Game. Although he has power his speed may place him at the top of the Dodger order. Many in he Dodger organization believed him to be more of a prospect than Puig. I'm sure they would not admit that now. However, the Dodgers are going o have a ridiculous outfield in the next couple years Kemp, Puig, and Pederson...Wow
Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Eric Shaeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
the Dodgers are going o have a ridiculous outfield in the next couple years Kemp, Puig, and Pederson...Wow
That will be something special right there with those three, if it comes to pass.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ease View Post
That will be something special right there with those three, if it comes to pass.
It will be fun to see the Dodgers and my Bucs at the top again like they were in the 70's.

Yahoo had a very nice article on Puig. It made me feel bad for other Cuban stars who were denied the opportunity to display their talents on the big stage. We were all cheated out of witnessing Omar Linares, Antonio Pacheco, German Mesa, and the Kindelin brothers. When I saw Linares play he was every bit as good as Mike Schmidt.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/coast-g...141306377.html
Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Outstanding article. Thanx for posting that Mike. He hit his eighth tonight.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:56 PM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 04:30 PM.