NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-06-2013, 04:11 AM
P.hil €lli$

Default How 'bout them Boston Bruins?

Very tired this morning. 2OT game ended about 12:15am this morning. B's go up 3-0 on Pittsburgh.

2nd biggest surprise in this series is that the high-flying Penguins have only scored 2 goals in 11 periods!

Go B's!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:01 PM
P.hil €lli$

No Bruins fans? Shame on you!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Michael S

4 more to go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bergeron cup.jpg (78.6 KB, 138 views)
Old 06-08-2013, 06:56 AM
bi11h00d

Congrats. As a Blackhawks fan, hoping to see you in the finals.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:00 AM
H Murphy

Feeling very good about this team and how they are playing at both ends of the ice. Rask is seeing the puck, much due to B`s def and back cking, as well as any goalie I can remember. Getting balanced contributions from all lines and loving the "all business" attitude from Claude and the entire team. This squad is all about it`s leaders, Chara, Bergeron, Claude, and Kreckci. GO B`s !!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Doug Chamberlain

Thumbs up

Always been an advocate of "defense wins", especially come playoff time ... all major sports.
Can't come up with a better example here, 2 goals allowed in 14 periods of hockey against the leagues highest scoring team????
Congrats B's!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Dan Lundrigan

Crosby, Malkin, and Iginla 0 points for the entire series! I don`t think anybody saw that coming! Go Bruins all the way!!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 06:24 AM
H Murphy

Have a feeling this series could be an all-time classic. Wow triple O T in the opener, doesn`t get much better than that my boys. B`s get one Sat nite then back to beantown for the next 2 !!!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Scott R

Hawks in 7 for sure!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:01 AM
H Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
Have a feeling this series could be an all-time classic. Wow triple O T in the opener, doesn`t get much better than that my boys. B`s get one Sat nite then back to beantown for the next 2 !!!!!!
Hawks had HUGE chance to get this one but Rask stoned them. B`s got stronger as the game progressed and I expect them to get a big boost at home. Here we go B`s here we go !!!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Brandon

OF COURSE another OT game... why not?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:41 AM
bi11h00d

Hard to figure out how this series will finish. Teams seem to be very equally matched. Neither team seems to be able to force their style on the other except for brief stretches during a game.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:17 AM
H Murphy

That game 4 was one hell of a shootout for the fans. This series, as anticipated, is doing great TV #`s which should only improve as they move on. Like the B`s in a bounce back sat in Chitown with a pace a litttle more to their liking. Let`s Go B`s !!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Todd Schultz

Tonight's game is huge. Quenneville must play six D all night--the decision to bench Leddy was dumb. I don't care what the so-called experts are saying, especially that irrelevant Melrose and his smug sycophant Steve Levy at ESPN, it would not be a bad move to give Emery the nod in goal. It would be bold though. Talk of Crawford for Conn Smythe is foolishness--he was outplayed by Rask in his two good games; in fact, arguably outplayed in all of them. The winning goal from Game 4 was a bit soft IMO (there wasn't that much of a screen), but the others were the product of a barrage of rebounds in which Rask was constantly under attack. By contrast, at least three of Boston's goals were stoppable. Crawford had deer in the headlights on Peverly's goal and fell asleep on the ricochet over the back/top of the net--you've got to know where the puck is. Bergeron's blast probably gets past most goalies, but Crawford again looked to be glued in his tracks.

In any event, it should be another good one. Chicago has better overall talent--although not dramatically so-- but Boston is better coached and plays smarter. Hawks are better served with that frenetic throw-it-at-the net style of game 4 then the Penguin approach of who can get the prettiest goal. Boston should take a shot or two at Odouya and Keith pinching and get a couple of odd-man rushes to add to their more methodical style.

Let's get started--drop the puck!!
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-22-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:12 PM
qu@n nguy3n

i like steve levy, i don't think he's smug at all. actually i like all the old nhl guys on there, bucci etc from when they still carried nhl.

emery's not sniffing this series unless crawford gives up 6 goals high glove-side tonight. 2 original six teams in 2 big markets SHOULD do well ratings-wise, otherwise just bury nhl on the ocho next to flyfishing.

huge jagr fan since '91, so rooting for bos...otherwise don't really care about either team. tukka needs to steal another game, otherwise chi in 7 imo.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Todd Schultz

Quan, I used to like Levy, especially in the old days when he made that bulging dick, er disk, gaffe and seemed humble. Now there's not a thing Barry Melrose could say that Levy wouldn't lap up as gospel. Melrose, whose pick for the cup at the beginning of the playoffs usually gets eliminated in the first round, is a nice enough guy and completely likeable. I just don't think he or anyone at ESPN puts much time into it anymore yet they try to come across as having earned some serious props. I readily admit it could be me though--I'm brutally critical of almost all hockey TV guys.

I would love to see Emery but the only thing that gets him on the ice is Quenneville's ego--the very thing that I don't like about him-- or a collapse by Crawford, which is not something I want. I still have an ominous feeling that if the goaltending is the difference, it won't be the Hawks that win.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-22-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:54 PM
H Murphy

Do or die Mon nite, see you back in Chitown on Wed. Go B`s !!!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Scott R

We take it Monday!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 06-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Todd Schultz

WOW, well played Hawks!!!!

Great series--thanks for the ride Bruins and Hawks!!!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 PM

As a die hard hockey fan being objective the Bruins played liked Dogs after the game got tied at 2-2 and were willing to settle for OT. They got complacent and it killed them
Old 06-24-2013, 11:41 PM
Todd Schultz

You may be right, but c'mon, you can discern that in the 17 seconds between goals 2 and 3? I mean a little let down is inevitable, but you really think they just quit that fast?

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-24-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 AM
H Murphy

Damn, kind of reminds me of the morning after the 2004 ALCS with the Yanks around here today. Another great NHL playoff run, nothing better in sports. B`s played as tough as they could but the Hawks had more left in the tank later in the game. Was really looking forward to a game 7 in Chi or not would have been great ! As far as dogs, nah.................don`t think so. Hawks won because they were quicker to the puck and Crawford played up to and maybe slightly better than his ability. Good job Hawks, P S NEVAH EVAH change the name or the uni for any of these PC loonies, they are the best in ALL sports !

Last edited by TUM301; 06-25-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Brock

All I have to say is... CHOKE hahahahahahahaha
Old 06-26-2013, 08:41 AM
bi11h00d

Heck of an ending to a great series. NBC ratings were outstanding; thought I heard the highest for any hockey game, ever.

There certainly seemed to be either a slight let down from Boston or a jump in Chicago after the Blackhawks tied. Happens all the time during the regular season when a team scores late. Sometimes the puck finds the back of the net, sometimes it doesn't. Unfortunately for the Bruins, this time it did and it cost them a chance for the Stanley Cup.

Chicago Blackhawks seem to be an ultra competitive team, never giving in. Huge congrats on a terrific season. 2013 Stanley Cup Champions.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Scott R

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post

+1
Old 06-26-2013, 01:59 PM

Default Choke

As a leaf fan all I can say is "looks like it was the Bruins turn to cough it up" Still a leaf fan but ya gotta luv the hawks 2nd best team in hockey>>>>
Still lookin to trade for any vintage hockey (pre 70) Also still building my Beehive set......come on guys toss me some trade offers
Old 06-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Stay classy my friend(s).
Old 06-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Brock

They choked did they not.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
They choked did they not.
As has every team that's been outplayed by a nearly evenly matched team.

I'm guessing you're both rangers fans?

I'm a Bruins fan, and I've got to say that while I've ignored Hockey this year mostly because of the silly labor squabbles, I did watch some of the playoffs. Chicago and Boston seemed just about equal throughout the entire series, and it was one of the better series I've seen. Persoanlly I think the Bruins let up a bit, and that allowed the tying goal. The winning goal was purely a defensive mistake. two defenders in front of the goal, both watching the puck but not the guy coming around behind. Allowing a guy to come from behind the goal untouched into position at just the right time like that is bad defense. Good for the Blackhawks for exploiting it. Without it that's another OT game, and maybe a trip back to Chicago for game 7.

Congrats to them for winnning the cup, and thanks for giving us all a great finals.

Steve B
Old 06-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
As has every team that's been outplayed by a nearly evenly matched team.

I'm guessing you're both rangers fans?

I'm a Bruins fan, and I've got to say that while I've ignored Hockey this year mostly because of the silly labor squabbles, I did watch some of the playoffs. Chicago and Boston seemed just about equal throughout the entire series, and it was one of the better series I've seen. Persoanlly I think the Bruins let up a bit, and that allowed the tying goal. The winning goal was purely a defensive mistake. two defenders in front of the goal, both watching the puck but not the guy coming around behind. Allowing a guy to come from behind the goal untouched into position at just the right time like that is bad defense. Good for the Blackhawks for exploiting it. Without it that's another OT game, and maybe a trip back to Chicago for game 7.

Congrats to them for winnning the cup, and thanks for giving us all a great finals.

Steve B
Nope I hate hockey, just wanted to see Boston lose. It got tired listen to the hillman morning show and they just keep talking about how great the bruins are and pretty much naming themselves champions before the series was over.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Rob G.

I've only started watching hockey the past couple years and have chosen the Rangers to root for. I'm in Connecticut and bring my two young boys to see the Connecticut Whale - an affiliate of the Rangers, so picking the team was easy. And I am anti-Boston in all sports as most of my family and friends are Boston fans so its fun to have some rivalries.

Anyway, playoff hockey is intense. Its fun to watch. Boston lucked out in the first round, played dominant hockey in the 2nd and 3rd rounds vs NYR and Pitt, and then were crowned champs (by many, not all, local fans and media) after their game 1 win vs Chicago in the finals. Chicago had a hard time scoring in the first 3 or 4 games but they remained physical and seemed to be faster than Boston. I don't know many of the names or understand all the penalties and rules nor the strategies, but I'll continue to watch playoff hockey no matter who is in it cuz its pretty intense.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Nope I hate hockey, just wanted to see Boston lose. It got tired listen to the hillman morning show and they just keep talking about how great the bruins are and pretty much naming themselves champions before the series was over.
Well, AAF is about hype if nothing else. I wouldn't expect them to do anything different with an ex player on the broadcast team.

Some of my favorite radio moments were LB going off on some listener or other random person. I wish I had a tape of him getting yelled at for being in the road during one of the charity walks around thanksgiving and totally snapping. Then an amazing 180 to get back to the show.

I'm amazed I watched hockey again. The sport was doing really well a few years ago, had a strike and went from regular network coverage to ESPN 40 or Spike TV or something. Then a lockout that wiped out another season.

Hockey? Isn't that the wierd soccer on ice palyed by foreigners who don't get more than a couple weeks of summer?

Then the playoffs and finals whaich were actually exciting.

Steve B
Old 07-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Scott R

Quote:
+2 !!!