NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2005, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Default O/T: Great Night Tonight

Posted By: warshawlaw

One of the benefits of living in LA is that you see famous people all the time. Occasionally it is someone you really want to meet. My wife and I went to dinner and then to a book store to kill a little time before picking up our daughter from a birthday party. My wife is great at spotting celebrities; I am not. She tapped me at one point and pointed out a man who I was 95% sure was someone whose work I’d loved literally all my life. I kept my eye on him and when he asked a clerk for a book about Voltaire, I heard his voice. I then recognized him instantly. I wanted to ask for an autograph but I was really torn. Normally in LA we are all too cool to bother celebrities, or so we think. I usually won’t even say hello and there are relatively few people in the world who I would hit up for an autograph (Lennox Lewis was the last one and that was at a promotional event for a fight). Tonight, however, I was dying to say hello and get an autograph. We had to go and I had decided not to do it. We started to leave the store and my wife remarked that my reluctance to approach him was silly; no one else had bothered him and it was evident that no one else recognized him. So I screwed up my courage, went up to him and told him that I was a huge fan and loved his work, had seen all his movies and followed his act all my life. He shook my hand, we chatted for a few moments and I asked for his autograph. I cannot believe I met Monty Python’s Eric Idle; for me it is like meeting a Beatle. THAT was a cool night!

Old 03-06-2005, 02:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Pretty cool. The only celebs I've met out in public was Tatoo from Fantasy Island. He was in a Scottsdale 7-11 buying some Swisher Sweets. Also, met Father Guido Sarduchi in a San Fran record store.

Old 03-06-2005, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

"Look, there's a penguin on the television set".

Old 03-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

....close to meeting the beatles

Old 03-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

recognized standing in front of "Chez Panisse," the best restaurant in town. She wheeled over and said, I can't remember your name, but you were in "The Color Purple." Can I have your autograph?" He laughed. "Good eyes," he said, and gave her his autograph.

Danny Glover.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

throwing raves in San Fran for 2 years and driving limo for 10 years, I've met more than my fair share of celebs. Outside of those settings though. I don't really notice celebs. When I was married, then X would spot them all the time and I would never notice them. Guess it's becuase I've dealt with and been exposed to them so much that I don't really care.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

Growing up in Beverly Hills practically my whole life I have seen most of them from sports to big screen. The one thing I learned is they are human just like the rest of us and in most cases they starve for attention. When I was 16 many years ago my mom sent me to pick up my little sister at her friends house a famous directors daughter, I went to the wrong address and knocked on the door thinking it was the right place and Milton Burle opens the door. I asked if he knew where the directors house was and he told me...Then he says "Kid don't you know who I am" ..yeah I said "Milton Burle" and thanked him and left..his jaw dropped to the ground becasue I made no big deal of it. Recent sightings for me are Cindy Crawford (sat next to her at sushi roku), Shaq, dustin Hoffman, Meg Ryan, Jualia roberts, Kieffer, Charlie Sheen and his wife at my peditiatins office where I talked to her mostly, he did not say much...

Old 03-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

...but that was a while back...

Old 03-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

My only brush with a celebrity (other than sports stars at shows or Tom Osborne and Bob Devaney while a student at Nebraska) would have been during the filming of "To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar" which was a terrible movie, but they were filming it in my hometown. Christopher Penn was hanging out every night in the same little pub that was at one time my hangout. He sat down and bought us beers on a couple of occasions. At one point he got so intoxicated that the owner made him leave so he went out in the parking lot, threw up and came back in. He was staying at the Residence Inn right next door so some of the movie's crew members came and got him. Patrick Swayze and Wesley Snipes would come in to the same pub, but they just kept to their own little clique. I think the only other time I've ever seen a celebrity was when Debra Winger was dating our governor while she was filming "Terms of Endearment".

Old 03-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike P.

This anecdote is really my wifes but I thought it was a cool story none the less. She told me that a few years ago she was with some friends and had stopped at this chinese restaurant in Williamsburg, VA (which is where she is from). I have been there as well on a seperate occasion but I can't remember the name. Anyway, she says that the evening went as expected with nothing unusual. She said that as she was leaving the restaurant she was trailing behind her friends. She had opened the door to leave and didn't realize there was someone behind her. She then realized she just let the door smack Jackie Chan in the face! She was apologetic and she said he was a good sport about it. I just thought it was funny, him being a martial arts action hero and he can't keep a door from smacking him in the face. To err is human!