NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Default SGC AUTH with card attributes

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I hope people don't think I'm "outing" an auction because this is in the correct category. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a new SGC policy? Is SGC now including the reason a card has been deemed AUTH and not assigned a numerical grade? This is the first I've seen of this. If this is the new policy then I applaud SGC for their efforts and innovation. It's about time a grading service stepped up to the plate and hit one out of the park. Thanks SGC (if this is now a policy and not a mistake). See the auction below and look at the scan of the card in the item description.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-T205-GOLD-BORDER-TY-COBB-POLAR-BEAR-SGC-AUTHENTIC_W0QQitemZ280071474312QQihZ018QQcategoryZ 57993QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

I hope this is the new standard. If so - outstanding decision - once again, SGC is out ahead of the pack.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That is an innovative step in the right direction, and SGC should be applauded for it. They do seem to be ahead of the other major grading services.

Old 01-18-2007, 04:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I have a card from GAI that has the same information on it in regards to the card being trimmed and receiving the authentic grade, so this is not exclusive to SGC unless GAI stopped doing it.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...a large (200) T206 card submission from SGC. I had 4 or 5 returned in AUTH holders. Two or three of them had an explanation (color added), but the others didn't -- and I think the issue was trimming, which, perhaps, SGC thought was obvious (even if I hadn't caught it before submission).

Still, it is a step in the right direction and may help to keep these kinds of cards out of "raw" circulation, where buyer after buyer would still be duped.

And, yes, I believe GAI started it.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I find it curious that when GAI began grading cards as "authentic" there was an angry buzz about the practice from some here but when SGC does it, it is an innovative step forward....

Old 01-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I erroneously credited SGC with the innovation because I am less familiar with GAI graded cards. But I think a previous board survey showed that SGC is favored among vintage collectors by a wide margin.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

SGC has been slabbing cards AUTH for over a year, maybe two. When they did it originally, and at times since, there has been an "angry buzz" about the legitimization of altered cards by this process. It is not a criticism unique to GAI.

This thread is merely about the addition of an explanation for the AUTH on some SGC holders.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Ok, I thought the thread was more about SGC's grading cards as authentic rather than the delineation about why the card was authentic. Just for the record I use SGC about 70% of the time and exclusively for the larger cards like Zeenuts because I prefer their holders to the license plate style GAI uses.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

I sure wish SGC made boxes that easily held their cards, much like what PSA does. It would make liking SGC a lot easier.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

So does this mean they will slab skinned OJ's?