NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-03-2014, 02:14 PM

Question My K. Puckett Autographed Baseball + C. Santana Autographed Bat

Hi, first timer here. Just had some questions about my autographed memorabilia, any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

+ Kirby Puckett Autographed Baseball
1. Does it pass the eye test? (I've had this ball since I was a child, not that's relevant, but I'd be really surprised if it was fake as the uncle that gave it to me owned a card shop. But, ya' never know.)
2. Will there be a premium getting it authenticated by PSA instead of JSA? (A JSA rep comes into my local card shop, much easier.)

Last edited by holyWahoos; 04-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:32 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Having those graded is just a waste of money, and it will not enhance the value.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:33 PM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyWahoos View Post
Hi, first timer here. Just had some questions about my autographed memorabilia, any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

+ Kirby Puckett Autographed Baseball
1. Does it pass the eye test? (I've had this ball since I was a child, not that's relevant, but I'd be really surprised if it was fake as the uncle that gave it to me owned a card shop. But, ya' never know.)
2. Will there be a premium getting it graded by PSA instead of JSA? (A JSA rep comes into my local card shop, much easier.)
3. Should I get it graded? If so, by which grader/authentication? (I personally think it's a really nice baseball but I'm not sure what grades well and if it helps the value that much.)

+ Carlos Santana Autographed Bat
- So I'm 100% confident that this is an authentic autograph. Justin Masterson's wife, Cheryl Masterson, did a silent auction/fundraiser.
- Authenticating/Grading it is something I would do for fun, just to be official, not worried about value increase.
- Should I grade it with PSA, or just authenticate it? Just wondering what it would grade out as without documentation from Carlos himself.
- Is there anyway to authenticate something as game/practice used without a written statement from the player?

1. Not familiar with his autograph
2. PSA might give a SLIGHT, VERY SLIGHT premium, but I'd just go with JSA if it's convenient.
3. Grading is a waste of money.

1. It looks fine to me.
2. PSA does in fact authenticate game used bats but it is costly and may not be worth it for a Santana bat.
3. Photomatching.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

If you are going to sell the bat put it in an auction and let them cert it. Puckett is not worth paying the price.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Puckett is not worth paying the price.
Just wanted to clarify, paying the price for grading? Or even authenticating? I can't imagine being able to sell it for a decent price without authenticating. Appreciate the response.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

The Puckett is right on the money and very nice. If you listed it on eBay without authentication, you would probably get $100-125. With authentication, maybe $150-200. Some people like grading, but it means nothing to me. It should grade well as the signature appears quite dark. I don't think it's a big deal either way.

No opinion on the bat
Old 03-03-2014, 09:27 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I am no expert on Puckett, but It does match fairly well with others I know to be good.No idea on Santana.

As far as getting stuff certed by PSA, JSA, etc is concerned, my feeling is this.
I would only submit stuff to the TPAs if I was going to sell them in the near future. Certing is expensive, and any of these companies is only 1 scandal away from their opinion being worthless. Who knows how PSA or JSA will be regarded in 10-20yrs. Look at what happened to GAI. At one time, they were right up there with PSA. Now their certs are mostly thought of as garbage. What if you had paid several thousands worth of fees to get items certed by them during their peak time?
If you're selling right now, I would get both certed only if you can recoup the cost of the cert in the sale price. Also, if selling now, I would only get the ball graded if you're going to get a 10. I'm sure there is someone out there who only wants to buy "the Best" and for them it means certed and graded a 10. You could probably get a very nice premium for the 10 grade, but I think anything less probably doesn't help increase sale price more than the plain cert.
Personally, I'd rather use the money to buy more autos.
Just my 2c. Others may think differently.
Good Luck either way.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 04-10-2014, 01:56 PM

Just wanted to say thank you for the advice to those that helped, made me confident that I wasn't flushing $40 down the drain. It did indeed come back JSA authentic.

Is it unreasonable to ask for more than what I've seen other Kirby Puckett authenticated balls go for? Not a ton more obviously, but a little bit of a premium. This autograph is much prettier and better quality than other ones I've seen, and the ball is in great shape.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:34 PM

I second the opinion of the previous poster.
The Puckett ball is a no-brainer and is 100% correct.
I personally would not waste your money on getting this authenticated, IMHO.