NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Dmitri Young collection prices!? WHAT!

Is it only me or is anyone else completely FLOORED by some of the final prices for the Dmitri Young Ccollection - Clemente Rookie 432K!! Aaron Rookie 357K! Rose Rookie 157K! Unbelievable - who is buying these cards!!

Last edited by hcv123; 05-20-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 PM

Sadly I suspect people looking to enhance and diversify their investment portfolios, who care not a bit about those players, or the cards themselves...for whom these cards are nothing more than commodities to be locked away until they've matured and can be flipped for a 20 percent profit...sad.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
Sadly I suspect people looking to enhance and diversify their investment portfolios, who care not a bit about those players, or the cards themselves...for whom these cards are nothing more than commodities to be locked away until they've matured and can be flipped for a 20 percent profit...sad.
Yep, I agree. Sad.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:33 AM
John Michael

I also agree, sad, especially for anyone hoping to turn a profit at those prices.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

The Clemente was purchased by a collector who posts on the PSA message board (EOMint). He says that the Rose and Aaron were purchased by a friend of his.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

What about a 77 MARK FIDRYCH for $3,493. I can't imagine paying more than $10 for a person who had a four year career.

another one that got me thinking was the 90 FRANK THOMAS NNOF - $24,244

or how about the Johnny Ray card... or they like to call it Barry Bonds error $2,125
Old 05-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Banned

totally nuts no matter which way you slice it.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
David M.

It's funny, because Dmitri Young had someone buy these for him so the prices wouldn't be driven up by the sellers. Then he turns around and sells them with his name put on the slab to drive the prices up. Smart business man!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 PM

What surprises me is that the '52 Hoyt Willhelm rookie fetched "only" $25,000. Honestly, if I that sort of dough to throw around, I would've been willing to pay twice that. I mean, we're dealing with a unique example, a rookie card for a Hall of Famer, a Topps high number, and just a damn beautiful card (Wilhelm's sleepy eyes aside). What more can you ask for?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 PM

According to this article-

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012...t-for-charity/

-Dmitri spent $5,000,000 to build this collection, yet at auction the lot raised around $2.5 million...

Unless I'm missing something, the dude got taken to the 'effin cleaners on this one...
Old 05-21-2012, 02:29 PM
David M.

If that article is accurate he spent $5 million on 497 cards. That's $10060 per card. That includes all of those "rare" Bonds rookies and Dmitri Young rookies that were offered. I find it hard to believe that he could have spent that much. A lot of the money spent had to go to overhead for the guy he had fly around buying his collection. Clearly the cards aren't worth that much, as the auction results show.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:38 PM

And he's donating "part" of the revenues to charity. A shame he didn't take the 5 million and donate that, instead of embarking on a vanity project buying perfect 10s, and turning that 5 million into a 2.5 million net loss
Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Steve

Call it sour grapes, but I hope to live long enough to see the investment market for collectible cards collapse. Then, grinning toothlessly while my palsied hands caress my old pasteboards, I will know they are worth exactly as much as those once owned by the great Dmitri.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

he could have spent the 5 million on as many t206 wagners as he could hoard and he would have probably made a profit. the prices for wagners is crazy too but understand the mystique and lore, not the mystique and lore of a psa 10 joe shlobotnik rookie card.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:00 PM
John Michael

If grading serves and the registry never existed, would these gem mint tens get anywhere near the premium they have received over an eight or a nine? Did the Willie Horton RC get a lot more desirable in that gem mint slab? It did get a lot more expensive. PSA sure make Dimitri a lot of money on that one.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Michael..Adams

I'm a little surprised by some of the comments I've read here so far about the SCP Auction. I'm not saying that I personally think any of Dmitri's collection was worth what was paid...however, his collection of PSA graded RC simply has no equal in the market. The majority of what sold was psa10 pop 1 versions of Hall of Fame Members. What's confusing about the attraction there?

The 55 Clemente is an absolutely beautiful card, as is the 54 Aaron, and I'm not surprised at the hammer price for either. I questioned several aspects of the Rose when I first got my SCP catalog and I was surprised that it fetched what it did.

Lastly, it is NOT simply an "investor" that is buying these cards for financial purposes. These are baseball junkies, guys that post on other card forums everyday just like you do, that bought the vast majority of Dmitri's collection.

This auction, like many other recent auctions, as well as sales on Ebay, have all pointed to a rally in high grade, low-pop HOF RCs from the 50s-70's.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Steve

Rally is good, said Gordon Gecko.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:41 PM
John Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcadams View Post
I'm a little surprised by some of the comments I've read here so far about the SCP Auction. I'm not saying that I personally think any of Dmitri's collection was worth what was paid...however, his collection of PSA graded RC simply has no equal in the market. The majority of what sold was psa10 pop 1 versions of Hall of Fame Members. What's confusing about the attraction there?
The 55 Clemente is an absolutely beautiful card, as is the 54 Aaron, and I'm not surprised at the hammer price for either. I questioned several aspects of the Rose when I first got my SCP catalog and I was surprised that it fetched what it did.

Lastly, it is NOT simply an "investor" that is buying these cards for financial purposes. These are baseball junkies, guys that post on other card forums everyday just like you do, that bought the vast majority of Dmitri's collection.

This auction, like many other recent auctions, as well as sales on Ebay, have all pointed to a rally in high grade, low-pop HOF RCs from the 50s-70's.
The over-the-top premium placed on PSA 10's by guys that use words like "pop 1." Again, take a PSA 10, 9, and 8 out of their slabs and sell them raw, there simply isn't the stupifying difference in price. There wouldn't be any justification for that kind of price difference without the slab and registry. For many of us there still isn't.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
The over-the-top premium placed on PSA 10's by guys that use words like "pop 1." Again, take a PSA 10, 9, and 8 out of their slabs and sell them raw, there simply isn't the stupifying difference in price. There wouldn't be any justification for that kind of price difference without the slab and registry. For many of us there still isn't.
I agree.

The fact is, people who pay those kinds of numbers for a card, are actually paying for the holder. Yes, the card is in wonderful shape, but take it out of the holder and they wouldn't have paid that amount.

I appreciate that some people collect holders, and I have no problem with that.

Doug
Old 05-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Michael..Adams

I think you're missing the point that these buyers like being able to say that they own the best of something.

We can all debate what the true value gap should be between something deemed to be Mint vs. Gem Mint (according to TPG standards), but when there is only 1 BEST version of something (that can be a card or a coin or a comic or a house), there will always be people willing to pay a significant premium to say theirs is best.

What I hear you offering up is hypothetical "if you take it out of the holder" then....etc. etc. etc. I don't think you understood why the owners of those cards had them graded to begin with.

I've never said that any TPG was perfect..none of them are... But some people like to think the services offered by TPGs are meaningless and that the grades provided by TPG are meaningless. That's just an absurd notion that is completely out of sync with today's marketplace.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM
John Michael

Quote:
I think you're missing the point that these buyers like being able to say that they own the best of something.

We can all debate what the true value gap should be between something deemed to be Mint vs. Gem Mint (according to TPG standards), but when there is only 1 BEST version of something (that can be a card or a coin or a comic or a house), there will always be people willing to pay a significant premium to say theirs is best.

What I hear you offering up is hypothetical "if you take it out of the holder" then....etc. etc. etc. I don't think you understood why the owners of those cards had them graded to begin with.

I've never said that any TPG was perfect..none of them are... But some people like to think the services offered by TPGs are meaningless and that the grades provided by TPG are meaningless. That's just an absurd notion that is completely out of sync with today's marketplace.
Noooo, I do understand why owners of those cards have them graded to begin with. And, IM not so HO on the subject, that is the absurb notion. It's today's marketplace that is completely out of sync. And there is a thing called a market correction. This hobby has been badly manipulated for the last 3 decades, this is just the latest "hook."

Last edited by theseeker; 05-27-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:21 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
Noooo, I do understand why owners of those cards have them graded to begin with. And, IM not so HO on the subject, that is the absurb notion. It's today's marketplace that is completely out of sync. And there is a thing called a market correction. This hobby has been badly manipulated for the last 3 decades, this is just the latest "hook."
I agree 100%...Just wait till the bottom falls out later this year or early next...collectors wont be able to get 10 cents on the dollar!
And BTW safe deposit boxes are about the least safe place to keep your valuables......The contents are not fdic insured and when the bank doors are locked (as in the great depression) Or after hours, The contents are not yours! And those banks can stay closed indefinitely. If those banks and this economy fails (and I believe it will never recover) your shit is gone! aloha, dave. ps Yes this hobby has been destroyed by TPG. Crooked bastards! Don't give a shit about our beloved hobby and and and shit time, for another bowl and a cold brew. aloha, dave.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Be.n C0z1n

A lot has been said already on this thread, so I'll look to keep it rather short. I can see paying $250.000 for a Wagner T-206, or another true rarity that only has say 50-250 total examples in existence. My hang-up is basically I can understand paying $20-30K for a Clemente 10. I love vintage cards. But to pay what it would cost to buy a house ( or 2-4 houses depending on what part of the country you live in ) for a baseball card, that has hundreds of really nice looking copies that could be bought from between $2,000-$10.000. I just don't get it. But that's what makes the hobby great, is that everyone likes different things, etc... In conclusion, I really can't see these Young cards selling for this much ever again. I think that he caught lightning in a bottle by offering them all at once.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

bump for peter

end of story.

Last edited by begsu1013; 05-27-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:53 PM
Jay D Wi.ley

If only Dimitri had waited 4 more years...........Doh!!! millions left on the table? Maybe ten million? Did he have 10s of the Clemente and Aaron?

Last edited by ashes13; 05-27-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashes13 View Post
If only Dimitri had waited 4 more years...........Doh!!! millions left on the table? Maybe ten million? Did he have 10s of the Clemente and Aaron?
Yup, that dang bubble theory
Old 05-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
bump for peter

end of story.
Double bump for peter.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:32 PM
Dave_Berg

Looking for helicopters
image.jpg
Old 05-27-2016, 02:42 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
...This auction, like many other recent auctions, as well as sales on Ebay, have all pointed to a rally in high grade, low-pop HOF RCs from the 50s-70's.
Quite the prescient statement there. Kudos, sir.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:47 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashes13 View Post
Looks like he had every post war rookie expect mays, mantle, robinson, koufax, and Ryan in a 10. And yea he probably should have waited a few years to sell. Quite the collection.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:34 PM
Bryan
Bryan Bossa.rd

Quote:

+1. It's a good thing.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:10 PM

He probably wishes he would have most of those back considering the market today.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:40 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

i know of 13 of them that he aint getting back!
Old 05-28-2016, 08:48 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
i know of 13 of them that he aint getting back!
Let's see them
Old 05-29-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Is it only me or is anyone else completely FLOORED by some of the final prices for the Dmitri Young Ccollection - Clemente Rookie 432K!! Aaron Rookie 357K! Rose Rookie 157K! Unbelievable - who is buying these cards!!
The prices of the Clemente, Aaron and rose 10 have probably tripled in 4 years.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:07 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Let's see them
i would but there's a whiny, pestering gnat that only quotes prices and contributes nothing that hovers around this porch.

simply don't wanna put out any sugar water.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:11 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
i would but there's a whiny, pestering gnat that only quotes prices and contributes nothing that hovers around this porch.

simply don't wanna put out any sugar water.
Probably still available from the SCP website, no?

I doubt Dmitri is even aware of the current market - what's a couple mil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 PSA 10 Front.jpg (79.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 1955 PSA 10 Back.jpg (81.8 KB, 93 views)