NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Default Baseball Quotes

I was looking through some photos from my trip to Cooperstown last year and found this of a quote from Casey Stengel. Let's see your favorite baseball quotes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stengel Quote.jpg (68.6 KB, 337 views)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

"It ain't over until it's over" - Yogi
Old 05-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Tommy Lasorda has many many great quotes but my favorite all time was given about Darryl Strawberry after his first season in L.A. He was awful and a huge disappointment to Dodger fans. A reporter asked Tommy something about Darryl dogging it in the outfield...

"He is not a dog; a dog is loyal and runs after balls."

Joshua
Old 05-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

My favorite isn't a quote, it's a rant by Cubs manager Lee Elia lashing out at Cuns fans on April 29, 1983. In honor of the 30 year annivesary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0CDtEz_Bo
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:30 AM
Vin¢£nt J@m£s Mo®£tti

"Hit 'em where they ain't"

-Wee Willie Keeler
Old 05-04-2013, 09:32 AM
Mike Dugan

Former Red Sox pitcher Frank Sullivan on how he faced Mickey Mantle; "With tears in my eyes."
Old 05-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

"When I'm hitting, I'd play for nothing. When I'm not, any kind of money I receive
makes me feel as if I'm stealing." Mickey Mantle
Old 05-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Joshua, that Lasorda quote is priceless!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Pete Rose -- I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball.

Reggie Jackson on Tom Seaver -- He's so good, blind people come to the park to hear him pitch.

Anonymous batter protesting after striking out looking on three pitches against Walter Johnson -- the third one sounded low.

Writer about Lefty Grove -- he was so fast he could throw a lambchop past a wolf.

Pitcher I don't remember about Hank Aaron -- trying to get a fastball by him is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster.

Babe Ruth on justifying his higher salary than Herbert Hoover -- I had a better year than he did.

Willie Stargell on hitting against Sandy Koufax -- it was like trying to drink coffee with a fork.

Sal Maglie on why he threw two consecutive pitches at a batter's head -- to show him the first one wasn't a mistake.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-04-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

My favorite is probably John Updike explaining why Ted Williams did not come out of the dugout to acknowledge the cheering after homering after his last pitch -- Gods do not answer letters.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Rick

Roger Craig on catcher Choo-Choo Coleman's baseball smarts:

"Choo-Choo would give you the sign and then look down to see what it was."
Old 05-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Bob Gibson to Tim McCarver after McCarver told him after a game that there was a colored guy waiting to see him: What color is he?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Jeff

Bob Gibson to Tim McCarver upon his approach to the mound to talk to Gibson, "What are you doing out here? The only thing you know about pitching is you can't hit it!"

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 05-08-2013 at 02:17 AM. Reason: wrong catcher originally, Thanks Al!
Old 05-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Mark Grace story

My favorite Mark Grace story:

One day Rick Sutcliffe gave up back-to-back home runs in Cincinnati. And in Cincinnati, they shoot off fireworks after a Red hits a home run. And Sutcliffe was pretty intense on the day he pitched. So Eric Davis takes him deep and Paul O'Neill takes him deep right after that. So Sutcliffe is all pissed off, and Billy Connors comes out to the mound and Sutcliffe yells at him, "I know I gave up f---ing back-to-back home runs and get your f---ing ass back in the dugout and tell Zimmer to f---ing settle down there, too."

Billy looks at him and says, "I know you have everything under control, Rick. I just wanted to give that guy running the fireworks a little time to reload."

Cheers,
Geno
Old 05-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Bob Gibson to a reporter after being asked why, as a BATTING PRACTICE pitcher for the Braves, he had dusted off a batter: He was crowding the plate.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver View Post
My favorite Mark Grace story:

One day Rick Sutcliffe gave up back-to-back home runs in Cincinnati. And in Cincinnati, they shoot off fireworks after a Red hits a home run. And Sutcliffe was pretty intense on the day he pitched. So Eric Davis takes him deep and Paul O'Neill takes him deep right after that. So Sutcliffe is all pissed off, and Billy Connors comes out to the mound and Sutcliffe yells at him, "I know I gave up f---ing back-to-back home runs and get your f---ing ass back in the dugout and tell Zimmer to f---ing settle down there, too."

Billy looks at him and says, "I know you have everything under control, Rick. I just wanted to give that guy running the fireworks a little time to reload."

Cheers,
Geno
I've never heard that one but it is classic!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Sean Costello

Reggie Jackson, explaining the importance of hitting well if you play 1st base, 3rd base, right or left field:
"If you want to stand on the corner, you have to lean on the pole."

Last edited by Sean; 05-04-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:45 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Another from Yogi..."Swing at the strikes".
Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Bruce Babcock

More Choo Choo - Ralph Kiner interviewed Choo Choo Coleman in 1962, and asked, “What’s your wife’s name, and what’s she like?” Coleman replied, “Her name is Mrs. Coleman — and she likes me."
Old 05-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Chico Escuela -- Baseball been berry berry good to me.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Skip

As related by former Milwaukee Brewers pitcher Jerry Bell, walking from the mound to the dugout upon being relieved after walking Harmon Killebrew:

Bell: "Ump, that last pitch to Killebrew looked like a strike to me."

Umpire: "Son, Mr. Killebrew will let you know when it's a strike."
Old 05-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson
Old 05-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Baseball Quotes

Tom Hanks: There's no crying in baseball.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Doug Chamberlain

Mike Flanagan - "I never could play in New York. The first time I ever came into a game there, I got into the bullpen car and they told me to lock the doors."
"You know you're having a bad game when the ground crew goes out and drags the warning track."

Claude Osteen - "I'm not sure which is more insulting, being offered in a trade or having it turned down."

Hank Aaron - "It took me 17 years to get 3,000 hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon at the golf course."

Richie Ashburn (on playing the '62 Mets) "I don't know what's going on, but I know I've never seen it before."

Early Wynn - "The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is breathe on a mirror and hope it fogs."

Mickey Lolich - "All the fat guys watch me and say to their wives, 'See? There's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer'."

Johnny Pesky - "When you win, you eat better, sleep better, and your beer tastes better. And your wife looks like Gina Lollabrigida."

Stan Hack (his home town) - "It's so small, we don't even have a town drunk, everybody has to take a turn."

Last edited by digdugdig; 05-04-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Bi11..R0berts

One more:

Dick Allen being interviewed about how he hits a knukleball pitcher: "I take three swings and go sit on the bench"
Old 05-04-2013, 03:13 PM
S Gross

Upon being told the amount of his fine for spitting at an umpire:

"It was a little more than I expectorated" ---- Frenchy Bordagaray

George Stallings supposed last words (falling to an unknown illness):

"Bases on balls, you idiot, bases on balls is the cause of all of this ....."

OT: on the morbid last words thought: Stanley Ketchell's supposed last words after being shot in the back by a jealous man:

"I'm so tired, just take me home to Mother"
Old 05-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
Tommy Lasorda has many many great quotes but my favorite all time was given about Darryl Strawberry after his first season in L.A. He was awful and a huge disappointment to Dodger fans. A reporter asked Tommy something about Darryl dogging it in the outfield...

"He is not a dog; a dog is loyal and runs after balls."

Joshua
omg thats great, never heard that one. im a huge et fan as well as love Darryl but he never did like busting it to catch a ball.

Here is a funny one all mets fans will remember - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz15iZfnTtI
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 05-04-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Bob Uecker:

"I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up."
Old 05-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Satchell Paige is known for saying quite a number of "Paige-isms. Here is one of his well known quotes......

"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

TED Z
Old 05-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

In a rather confusing play Babe Herman hit a ball off the wall with the bases loaded and the Dodgers wound up with three men on 3rd base. Dazzy Vance who had somehow failed to score from 2nd was diving back into third with Chick Fewster standing on the bag already and Herman sliding in thinking he was getting a triple. While the umpires were trying to figure it out, Vance made a speech, "Mr. Umpire, fellow teammates, and members of the opposition. If you carefully peruse the rules of our national pastime you will find that there is one and only one protagonist in rightful occupation of this hassock - namely yours truly, Arthur C. Vance". And he was right. The other two were out.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:42 PM
David Pierson
Banned

"you're gonna get the mcgwire...".
Old 05-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Goose Goslin - "I truly loved those fastballs. Zip they'd come in, and whack .. right back out."

Al Bridwell on getting the hit that set off the whole "Merkle Boner" incident: " I wish I had never gotten that hit. I wish I'd struck out instead. If I had done that it would have spared Fred a lot of unfair humiliation. Yes, I wish I'd struck out. It would have been better all around."

For some reason a reporter asked the opposing pitcher before a World Series game how he would pitch to Gus Niarhos who was hardly a threat at the plate: "We'll probably throw him fastballs and bunch him towards the mound."
Old 05-04-2013, 04:56 PM
Rob Ruddy

Any Yogi Berra quote works for me!

On why he no longer went to Ruggeri's, a St. Louis restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 05-04-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Banned

"Guys, there's clap in the Valley."

-- Brewers minor-league director Bruce Manno, spring training 1985, Phoenix
Old 05-04-2013, 05:08 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Dick Allen about artificial turf:
"If a horse won't eat it, I don't want to play on it."

Bob Uecker:
"The way to catch a knuckleball is to wait until the ball stops rolling and then to pick it up."

And then there's Yogi:
"So I'm ugly. So what? I never saw anyone hit with his face."

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:52 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:57 PM
qualitycards

Some memorable Ty Cobb quotes...

"I had to fight all my life to survive. They were all against me... but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

"When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch."

"The base paths belonged to me, the runner. The rules gave me the right. I always went into a bag full speed, feet first.
I had sharp spikes on my shoes. If the baseman stood where he had no business to be and got hurt, that was his fault."

Old 05-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ty Cobb, asked in the 1950s what he would hit if he played today: about .275. When the interviewer expressed shock, Cobb added, I am almost 70 years old.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Dodger pitcher Jerry Reuss was in a tight ball game. Tommy Lasorda went out to the mound with the intent to pull Reuss. Of course, Reuss wanted to continue to pitch. As Lasorda and Reuss were going back and forth about his staying or going, Yeager made it to the mound. Lasorda told Reuss that he would put it to a vote and be Democratic about it. Lasorda voted to pull Reuss, Reuss naturally said he wanted to pitch. With Yeager by his side, Reuss figured he had this in the bag. Lasorda asked Yeager what he thought, and Yeager said " Shoot, I would have pulled him two innings ago ".
Old 05-04-2013, 07:24 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Crash Davis: Yeah, I was in the show. I was in the show for 21 days once - the 21 greatest days of my life. You know, you never handle your luggage in the show, somebody else carries your bags. It was great. You hit white balls for batting practice, the ballparks are like cathedrals, the hotels all have room service, and the women all have long legs and brains.

Your shower shoes have fungus on them. You'll never make it to the bigs with fungus on your shower shoes. Think classy, you'll be classy. If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful. Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you are a slob.

Relax, all right? Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.

Man that ball got outta here in a hurry. I mean anything travels that far oughta have a damn stewardess on it, don't you think?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:38 AM

Sparky Anderson in his HOF induction speach: "Baseball is a great game and if you don't like it GET OUT."
Old 05-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Jeff

"You can't hit what you can't see." – Walter Johnson

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:53 AM

Default Quotes

Manager concerned over Hack Wilson's heavy drinking.

"When I put a worm in a glass of water nothing happens to it. But when I put it in a glass of whiskey it dies. What does that tell you?"

Hack's response: "That I'll never get worms from drinking whiskey."
Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Dan Bretta

"In our sun-down perambulations, of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball...Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms...the game of ball is glorious."

Walt Whitman 1846
Old 05-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
"In our sun-down perambulations, of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball...Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms...the game of ball is glorious."

Walt Whitman 1846
+1. Love it! The beginning to Ken Burns Baseball - First Inning. Whenever I've had a stressful day at work, I throw that DVD in and it always relaxes me!!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:06 AM
pariah1107

"Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter." Satchel Paige
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Todd Schultz

A young woman commented to Yogi Berra on a sweltering day "Yogi, you look pretty cool out there", to which he responded "Thanks, you don't look so hot yourself".
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Shawn M

mine is in my sig.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

Johnny Keane, asked why he stayed with Bob Gibson in Game 7 of the World Series when he was getting shelled and on the verge of blowing a big lead: I had a commitment to his heart.

Yogi on playing left field in Yankee Stadium: It gets late early out there.

Yogi summing up his life: I never said half the things I said.

Mickey Mantle, asked by a Senate committee on his views of baseball's antirust exemption after Casey Stengel had made a typical meandering, long speech: My views are pretty much the same as Casey's.

Yogi, after Sandy Koufax, who had gone 25-5 during the season, blew away the Yankees in game 1 of the 1963 World Series: How did he lose 5?

Pete Rose, asked why on earth he was back out taking batting practice at night after going 6 for 8 in a doubleheader: They got me out twice.

Warren Spahn, interviewed after he gave up a titanic homerun to Willie Mays early in Willie's career: Gentlemen, for the first 60 feet it was a hell of a pitch.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Mike Ryan

Several years ago, after a golf tournament, Tommy Lasorda was the guest speaker at our club. He started by saying.. "Well I guess you read lately about Steve Yeager crying his eyes out to the sportswriters that Mike Scioscia gets to play ahead of him because he's(Scioscia) Italian. I want you all to know that is not true. I play Scioscia ahead of Yeager because I'M ITALIAN!!"