NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Yu Darvish has 8 K's thru 3 innings

I know I know, but wow!!!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Sean Costello

And zero walks.

Hey Paul, quick trivia question: R Johnson,Kerry Wood and R Clemens twice struck out 20 in a game. How many walks did each of them allow?

Last edited by Sean; 08-01-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
And zero walks.

Hey Paul, quick trivia question: R Johnson,Kerry Wood and R Clemens twice struck out 20 in a game. How many walks did each of them allow?
I have no idea, but would guess zero
Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

10 K's thru 4.....can he get 20?
Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Sean Costello

Correct, none of them walked a batter.

Now Yu has 10 Ks through 4 innings. But 71 pitches.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

he threw 130 pitches earlier this year.....and was a machine in Japan.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:23 PM

The last few seasons he's been huge for my fantasy team.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Correct, none of them walked a batter.

Now Yu has 10 Ks through 4 innings. But 71 pitches.
Oh hell, Sean. I'm watching "the Ghosts of Flatbush" right now. Do I stop, and put on the Rangers game, or watch Bobby Thompson hit the shot heard 'round the world, sending Brooklyn fans home disappointed again?

It is this kind of conundrum that has plagued baseball fans since the advent of television.

Ok, Yu. Here I come.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-01-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Sean Costello

14 K's through 6th.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Bruce C@rter

14 after 6 innings. He could get the 20. My guess is 18 though.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
he threw 130 pitches earlier this year.....and was a machine in Japan.
Yeah, but remember that pitchers in Japan only pitch once a week, not every 5th day like here.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Oh hell, Sean. I'm watching "the Ghosts of Flatbush" right now. Do I stop, and put on the Rangers game, or watch Bobby Thompson hit the shot heard 'round the world, sending Brooklyn fans home disappointed again?

It is this kind of conundrum that has plagued baseball fans since the advent of television.

Ok, Yu. Here I come.
Bill, when you watch the 9th inning, watch Don Mueller's at bat. With a man on 1st, no one out, and a three run lead, Hodges is holding the runner on first. Why? His run is irrelevant.

And Mueller hits the ball 6 inches out of Hodges' reach. I don't know if it was Hodges fault or Dressen's, but the Dodgers could have gotten out of the inning without Thomson's homer if not for a mental mistake.

Last edited by Sean; 08-01-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Bill Gregory

It's hotter than hell here today, too (100 currently in Arlington). I imagine that the medical staff is working hard to keep Yu (and the other players) hydrated. But no matter what they do, you've got to think the heat is going to affect his fatigue level.

Yu's at 14 through 6. Can he strike out 7 of the last nine?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Bill, when you watch the 9th inning, watch Don Mueller's at bat. With a man on 1st, no one out, and a three run lead, Hodges is holding the runner on first. Why? His run is irrelevant.

And Mueller hits the ball 6 inches out of Hodges' reach. I don't know if it was Hodges fault or Dressen's, but the Dodgers could have gotten out of the inning without Thomson's homer if not for a mental mistake.
I'll look out for that, Sean. It seems Gil had a couple of real rough patches in the World Series. In the '52 series against the Yankees, he was 0-21 at the plate. Ouch. The way I look at it, though, the Dodgers wouldn't have been there in the first place without his play during the regular season. I know when I see interviews of Ted Williams talking about how terrible he was in the '46 World Series, I wish I could tell him "hey, Ted, you are the reason the Sox even got there in the first place".

In the last couple of years (just before i started collecting again), I developed an affinity for Dem Bums, and their fans. How wonderful it must have been living in Brooklyn as a Dodgers fan, and knowing all the players lived there, too. Walking to Ebbets Field, seeing Duke Snider or Pee Wee Reese walking to the ballpark, saying hi to them on the way.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:11 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
With a man on 1st, no one out, and a three run lead, Hodges is holding the runner on first. Why? His run is irrelevant.

I've gotta think most managers/1st baseman would hold the runner in that situation, unless maybe he was a guy like Willie Stargell or the pitcher. With fewer than 2 outs, you'd want to keep that guy on first to preserve a double play.. you're also then by default guarding the line against an extra base hit (more applicable if it was a 1 or 2 run game). As an old first sacker, I know I'd be holding him unless told otherwise. I may be wrong.. maybe thinking has changed??

JUST SEEING- he ended up with 14 K's. 20 is an amazing feat and I can't believe it's happened 4 times in my lifetime.

Last edited by itjclarke; 08-01-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: adding
Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I'll look out for that, Sean. It seems Gil had a couple of real rough patches in the World Series. In the '52 series against the Yankees, he was 0-21 at the plate. Ouch. The way I look at it, though, the Dodgers wouldn't have been there in the first place without his play during the regular season. I know when I see interviews of Ted Williams talking about how terrible he was in the '46 World Series, I wish I could tell him "hey, Ted, you are the reason the Sox even got there in the first place".

In the last couple of years (just before i started collecting again), I developed an affinity for Dem Bums, and their fans. How wonderful it must have been living in Brooklyn as a Dodgers fan, and knowing all the players lived there, too. Walking to Ebbets Field, seeing Duke Snider or Pee Wee Reese walking to the ballpark, saying hi to them on the way.
Going back to Hodges 0-21 in the 52 series, I blame the Dodger coaches for that. I've seen lots of Hodges AB's from that series and he had a VERY open stance at the plate. They were throwing him curves low and away and he couldn't touch them. A couple of adjustments would have helped and with a few hits from him they could have won that series. It wasn't until later the next season that he came out of the slump finally and you can see his stance was much more closed.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Ken McMillan

14 strike out. Not bad but no record.