NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-30-2016, 10:02 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Default 1952 Mays on ebay

Was anyone watching that psa 2 Mays that sold on ebay for 2150? It looks like a 7, and I couldnt figure out how or why it is a 2. I wanted to ask you guys your thoughts, but didnt want to bring it up until after it sold. What do you guys think? It sold for what some 5s sell for. Worth it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.2 KB, 440 views)
Old 05-30-2016, 11:23 PM
David M.

It's really hard to tell for sure from the scan, but there appears to be a bend to the left of Willy's head that runs about 2/3rds the length of the card. PSA isn't in the habit of giving a 2 to a card that nice for no reason.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:40 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

David, I didnt say that PSA conspired against this card. I am sure they have their reason for the technical grade. My post was really meant to begin a discussion on the value of a technical grade vs. the value of a card's appearance and presentation. If that slab on this card had a 7 on it instead of a 2, I dont think you would question it for a second. I personally buy the card and not the holder, so I prefer this card to MOST 52 Mays cards that come up regardless of the grade. Find me a nicer one in ANY grade. My question to the board was intended to start discussion on grade vs presentation for purposes of collectibility AND value. Usually, my practice of buying the card and not the holder saves me money because I get a beautiful card at a lesser grade. In this instance, however, we have a card that with the lowly grade of a 2 has sold for what some 5s sell for (and i believe rightfully so). I am curious as to the opinions of others on the issue.

Last edited by orly57; 05-31-2016 at 02:51 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:32 AM
And*y Quig!ey

Sorry ... accidental dupe post ... glitchy mouse.

Last edited by ajquigs; 05-31-2016 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:37 AM
And*y Quig!ey

I agree that this Mays card seems to be a good illustration that grades are mainly objective assessments of condition (not subjective assessments of appeal). As David said, this card has flaws that will be evident with the card in hand unless the grade is a huge swing-and-a-miss by PSA; which is possible but unlikely to me especially since I think human nature would cause a grader to take a little extra care knowing he's grading a '52 Mays.

Thus, to me it's a question of the nature of the flaws that can't be seen on the scan. Based on the '2' grading standard (copied below) I guess there may be creases and little to no surface gloss. Before buying this Mays card I would definitely seek a lot of details - and probably additional scans - from the seller. In my experience a number of sellers will provide you a fair description of the flaws if you ask.

When buying a low grade card I think of the Ott scanned below. It has a raised ridge, not just a crease, running the length of the card through his face. It's visible, but not very obvious on the scan. The way I have it displayed - in a case along with other lower grade DS HOFers - the flaw doesn't stand out and I'm okay with it. Naturally, my standards for a $2,000+ card would be very different.

A PSA Good 2 card's corners show accelerated rounding and surface wear is starting to become obvious. A good card may have scratching, scuffing, light staining, or chipping of enamel on obverse. There may be several creases. Original gloss may be completely absent. Card may show considerable discoloration. Centering must be 90/10 or better on the front and back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 DS Ott.jpg (72.0 KB, 412 views)

Last edited by ajquigs; 05-31-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:28 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
David, I didnt say that PSA conspired against this card. I am sure they have their reason for the technical grade. My post was really meant to begin a discussion on the value of a technical grade vs. the value of a card's appearance and presentation. If that slab on this card had a 7 on it instead of a 2, I dont think you would question it for a second. I personally buy the card and not the holder, so I prefer this card to MOST 52 Mays cards that come up regardless of the grade. Find me a nicer one in ANY grade. My question to the board was intended to start discussion on grade vs presentation for purposes of collectibility AND value. Usually, my practice of buying the card and not the holder saves me money because I get a beautiful card at a lesser grade. In this instance, however, we have a card that with the lowly grade of a 2 has sold for what some 5s sell for (and i believe rightfully so). I am curious as to the opinions of others on the issue.
we dont know who bought the card..theres a question whether its a legit sale...if a real person on this board bought the card that would end the question of legitimacy of the sale.....anyway until people stop selling the holder and not the card...the holder matters more than people admit..
Old 05-31-2016, 09:06 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

the winning bidder on that mays psa 2 came out of nowhere

u***i ( 50Feedback score is 50 to 99)
Item description:
Item Title:
1952 Topps #261 Willie Mays New York Giants HOF PSA 2 GOOD " AWESOME CENTERING "
Bids on this item: 1

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 1
Items bid on: 1
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100% Help
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 0
Old 05-31-2016, 10:49 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

where's a pic of the back?

the slightest hint of paper loss w/ overall eye appeal like that would auto knock it down to a 2, thus being graded properly.

happens all the time and usually end up being steals.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:59 AM
je.sse @rnot

The back was clean. The issue appears to be on the front, whatever is going on in the background to the left.

Quite possibly the nicest looking Mays PSA 2 in existence, and at the least one of the best. I'm not sure why people are surprised by the sale price.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

let's see the back, still....
Old 05-31-2016, 11:06 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
let's see the back, still....
There is a link to the ebay listing in the Mays crossover thread. I'm on my phone so posting links and pics is difficult. But I just clicked through to see it.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:24 AM
D@le Irv*n

It still blows me away the price differences between grades.

I know it's the norm, and I understand why, but I just can't get my head around how this card is worth $37,000 more dollars than that 2.
http://www.goodwinandco.com/1952_top...-lot30284.aspx
Old 05-31-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
It's really hard to tell for sure from the scan, but there appears to be a bend to the left of Willy's head that runs about 2/3rds the length of the card. PSA isn't in the habit of giving a 2 to a card that nice for no reason.
When PSA gives a grade like this, it must be for a reason. And sometimes photos don't show that reason. For example, I bought a '52 Durocher that was PSA 4 but my god the corners and the color...it was a surefire PSA 7 to my mind. I couldn't figure out what they were thinking...until I got the card in hand and saw there was a hairline crease that transected Durocher's face. Very subtle but definitely there. A good lesson learned.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:19 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

previous card owner contacted me (and laughing at all of this) but the card did have a very minute surface wrinkle that isn't visible in scans.

all part of it and while it blows away the technical grade, I'd probably crack and resubmit. worth a shot or two.

and I doubt very seriously this guy shilled this auction or the pete rose 7 that was being talked about in another thread.

there's no need for him to do it, especially on these...
Old 05-31-2016, 08:32 PM
je.sse @rnot

With the market the changing so fast it's easy to jump to conclusions and conspiracy theories. Who knows exactly how much, if any, of what's going around is true, but sometimes a collector just steps up and spends big to get a nice card.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:46 PM
Ryan Waggoner

I'm telling you, it's oil money gone wild.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:01 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

well from what other threads are pointing to (and making a lot more sense) is that this could be a group of internationals looking for somewhere to park money. at least they quoted somebody vs all this talk w/o one shred of evidence.

seems to be better rationality there vs claiming it's 4 guys that are creating the entire stir in every single aspect of the hobby.

i have an experiment going on w/ one of these *1950's* rc cards just to see that i set @ a $.99 auction w/ no buy it now option.

within minutes, an ebay user actually offered me $2500 for the card. ***BUT*** he has the same card, same grade listed @ $7xxx.

this is where it gets good. he actually dropped the "buying group" angle, n54 and said $2500 is the right price...but again, he's asking $7xxx for his and wanted to scoop mine up.

im was just curious just to see what happens whether i win or lose.

but that certainly was not the way i expected the experiment to start.

mainly wanted to see who the bidders where/are, check history and bidding patterns.

Last edited by begsu1013; 05-31-2016 at 09:37 PM. Reason: x'd out price point: purpose isnt to call out the guy
Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

so far all bidders seem legit w/ several feedbacks left from pwcc, probs, champsnbaums, memory lane, etc.

edit: there is 1 private and one that is under 15, but were very early bids.

Last edited by begsu1013; 05-31-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:58 PM
je.sse @rnot

Should be interesting. At least no one will be able to claim it was shilled.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:10 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

should be about the best market gauger out there....

edit: only 1 card, not consigned, wont be shilled, watched thoroughly and will report back if it's bid up and not paid for.

and a second ebayer asked how much to end it which was replied w/ "im open to an offer..."

it will not be ended early.

Last edited by begsu1013; 05-31-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:31 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
should be about the best market gauger out there....

edit: only 1 card, not consigned, wont be shilled, watched thoroughly and will report back if it's bid up and not paid for.

and a second ebayer asked how much to end it which was replied w/ "im open to an offer..."

it will not be ended early.
Bob, you're doing God's work.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:54 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

this is absolute nonsense, actually!

i have literally been peppered w/ several great and tempting offers already to end it.

4 very legit offers actually and several by good people (amongst all the boards) that did not know this was my account.

there absolutely is no "buying group".

i can tell this already and still have almost 5 days to go.

and yes, i did intentionally mislead by saying "1950's rc".
Old 05-31-2016, 11:00 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
Bob, you're doing God's work.
thanks, bud.

and didn't even hype up the card in the listing one bit.

simply put: "let the card do the talking"

no extra fillers or puff fluffers like "centered, high end, top-tier, hot, pop blah" or any of that non-sense.

i even put $30 shipping to kinda sorta work against the d@mn thing!
Old 06-01-2016, 01:44 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
thanks, bud.

and didn't even hype up the card in the listing one bit.

simply put: "let the card do the talking"

no extra fillers or puff fluffers like "centered, high end, top-tier, hot, pop blah" or any of that non-sense.

i even put $30 shipping to kinda sorta work against the d@mn thing!
That's just so dang odd. I'm really still trying to wrap my head behind the meaning of all of this. I don't follow the hobby as deeply as some of you, because frankly I don't have the $$$, but it's really fascinating to see all of this go down and play out.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:15 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

original lowballer / buying group theorist / guy who had his card listed @ $7xxx has now retracted his bid and lowered his card drastically.

even funnier part: this person also has **16** bid retractions.

very interesting. maybe i should out'em?

and nightman,

don't worry about wrapping your head around it. just thought id have some fun and obtain some real data on one of these "hot" rookie cards that this supposed buying group is sucking up.

the only thing that has been suspicious so far is original n54'r trying to lowball which had the same non centered card @ $7500 claiming the buying group.

exact opposite of what i was expecting.

btw: and just so nobody makes any false accusations, it is ***NOT*** peter.

Last edited by begsu1013; 06-01-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:57 AM

Mays sure seems to be hot right now. Just the other day I got an offer through Heritage Auctions from a fellow wanting to buy my 52 Topps Mays PSA 6. He offered a thousand over what i paid for him, just two years ago.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
original lowballer / buying group theorist / guy who had his card listed @ $7xxx has now retracted his bid and lowered his card drastically.

even funnier part: this person also has **16** bid retractions.

very interesting. maybe i should out'em?

and nightman,

don't worry about wrapping your head around it. just thought id have some fun and obtain some real data on one of these "hot" rookie cards that this supposed buying group is sucking up.

the only thing that has been suspicious so far is original n54'r trying to lowball which had the same non centered card @ $7500 claiming the buying group.

exact opposite of what i was expecting.

btw: and just so nobody makes any false accusations, it is ***NOT*** peter.
What's happening with your card is super interesting and very entertaining. Can't believe a n54'r tried to lowball you, while selling the same card for 2.5 times what they're asking for theirs. That's like taking a reprint Mantle rookie, scuffing it up, and duping buyers on the bay. Thankfully you're not gullible and know what your cards are worth.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:26 PM
je.sse @rnot

Any update on the mystery card experiment?
Old 06-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

2 more offers, stuck at $2550 and will prolly stay there til the last 10 secs.

a few great conversations though!

several more 7s surfaced, but centering is key! 😉
Old 06-02-2016, 05:50 PM
je.sse @rnot

Centering is pretty important on these types of cards as of late as is evident by the big sales mentioned on this board. I've paid a premium for a nice centered card myself from time to time. Good luck with the sale.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:02 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post
Mays sure seems to be hot right now. Just the other day I got an offer through Heritage Auctions from a fellow wanting to buy my 52 Topps Mays PSA 6. He offered a thousand over what i paid for him, just two years ago.
Heck id pay that too
Old 06-02-2016, 09:32 PM
Bob F.

I have a buddy that's looking to sell this card. Thoughts? What avenue would you use to sell it if it were yours?

Old 06-02-2016, 10:54 PM
Mike

A good friend would tell him he's nuts for selling now, and that beauty will double in a year and to thank you later
Old 06-02-2016, 10:56 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canofcorn View Post
A good friend would tell him he's nuts for selling now, and that beauty will double in a year and to thank you later
The way things are going it could double in a month. Or they could all come back down in a year. Hard to predict the future. I hope you're right though.

Edit: as for where to sell that card I don't think you can go wrong anywhere right now. Every major AH and Ebay are recording record prices. Definitely a seller's market for HOF RCs.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 06-02-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:05 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

people buy direct also all the time......on a card worths several thousands you are talking about an auction house getting potentially a few thousand instead of a good part of that money going to the sellers pocket..

but some buyers just dont pony up direct like they will with an auction house for safety or whatever other reason..
Old 06-04-2016, 09:48 AM

Interesting there are 7 rose PSA 8 rookies and 15 rose PSA 7 rookies listed on eBay. With such a large supply prices have been decreasing for the 8's and 7's.
The PSA 9 rose rookies and only PSA 10 rookie are in low supply so they are more likely to retain their value.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:21 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdoggs View Post
Interesting there are 7 rose PSA 8 rookies and 15 rose PSA 7 rookies listed on eBay. With such a large supply prices have been decreasing for the 8's and 7's.
The PSA 9 rose rookies and only PSA 10 rookie are in low supply so they are more likely to retain their value.
plus many psa 7s and 8s on other sites now too....its supply AND demand not just supply remember.....
Old 06-04-2016, 10:36 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

And the PSA 10 rose just came up

Pardon me if it's been discussed

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 06-04-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:53 AM

The demand for the rose 7 and 8 rookies will be hard to keep with the large supply at current prices.
The demand for the rose 9 Rookies and 10 will be more likely to keep up with the limited supply so prices for those should continue to rise.
The only PSA 10 rose rookie will be in heritage auctions sale this summer.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

you are dead wrong.

centered cards will always be in demand

and the supply is certainly not overflowing.

outta all those 7's and 8's that are posted,

id probably only be happy w 3 of them.

but the one id really want, id go big on.

clear cut evidence that you are solely looking at the flips,

and not the cards.

in closing, your definition of supply and mine are most definitely....

off-centered, dogg.

Last edited by begsu1013; 06-04-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:17 PM

I like the Rose rookie PSA 9's as both a collector and investor and I especially like the Rose rookie PSA 10
Jdoggs
Old 06-04-2016, 05:26 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
I especially like the Rose rookie PSA 10
Jdoggs
my point exactly.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
you are dead wrong.

centered cards will always be in demand

and the supply is certainly not overflowing.

outta all those 7's and 8's that are posted,

id probably only be happy w 3 of them.

but the one id really want, id go big on.
Let's see how the sales of all the PSA 7 and 8 rose rookies go and we can see if you are correct that the prices won't drop from the current highs. Even for the so called centered ones. If you look at eBay completed sales you can see that the most recent sales have already dropped from the highs.

Last edited by Jdoggs; 06-04-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:04 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

you are the only one concerned about what the oc 7s and 8s go for.

i could care less.

but enjoy your one track continued care only about prices.

quick question:

you like your psa 10 w/ that huge fish eye and numerous pd's?

or just mesmerized w/ the price that it fetches?

Last edited by begsu1013; 06-04-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
you are the only one concerned about what the oc 7s and 8s go for.

i could care less.

but enjoy your one track continued care only about prices.

quick question:

you like your psa 10 w/ that huge fish eye and numerous pd's?

or just mesmerized w/ the price that it fetches?

Quick answer:
I like PSA 10's better than PSA 9's. I also like PSA 9's better than PSA 8's.
Reason:
PSA 10's and 9's have proven to be great investments.
However:
For PSA 8's and below this is not always the case depending on the card.

Last edited by Jdoggs; 06-04-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Quick answer:
I like PSA 10's better than PSA 9's. I also like PSA 9's better than PSA 8's.
Reason:
PSA 10's and 9's have proven to be great investments.
However:
For PSA 8's and below this is not always the case depending on the card.
thank you. ya proved my point again.

you care nothing about the card itself, solely what the flip says.

and not only that, your only motive is the investment angle.

you're a sad lil puppy, dogg.

Last edited by begsu1013; 06-04-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
thank you. ya proved my point again.

you care nothing about the card itself, solely what the flip says.

and not only that, your only motive is the investment angle.

you're a sad lil puppy, dogg.
Well if PSA says a card is a 9 or a 10 I believe their opinion more than yours.
You are the one who doesn't like to discuss your previous sale of rose PSA 9 rookie of $35k recently and you brought up your sale when I didn't even know.
Funny how you like to show the cards you bought but any sale you do you are offended.
To answer your question of where you posted that you sold your 52 mantle topps PSA 7(oc) for $27k a few months ago it was on a thread in collectors forum I read cause you said you sold your 52 topps set to help fund a lake house for your family.
Oh and the source of where you sold your 52 topps mantle PSA 5 and 51 mantle PSA 6 for the $34k range combined was on your eBay completed sales page.
So that's the answers to your questions dogg.

Last edited by Jdoggs; 06-05-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:21 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

again. point proven and caught in your own lie.

you said i boasted my sales prices when in actuality you stalked them and then posted them because you were pissed about me turning down your low ball offer.

oh and the sales you are referring to on the 52 topps were last year, dogg.

not last week or month.

but good to see you finally getting your facts straight.

Last edited by begsu1013; 06-05-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:40 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Well if PSA says a card is a 9 or a 10 I believe their opinion .
well since they say it, it must be true.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rose.jpg (43.8 KB, 178 views)

Last edited by Leon; 06-05-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n