NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-01-2018, 11:00 AM

Default Vintage Basketball Thread

March Madness is upon us. Thought it might be time to throw out some vintage basketball. Anything new or interesting out there?

Rob M.

I'll start it out with this one. It's a rppc of one of the greatest teams in early pro basketball. It is the 1907-08 Gloversville (NY) team with HOF'er Ed Wachter (Ed is depicted in the 1933 Sport Kings cards). The team also included his brother Lew. Several of these players later became the nucleus of the great Troy Trojans team. Ed is considered the greatest center to play the early game. This card is partially signed by Ed and was sent to a family member.

Just a side note - The Hall of Fame's Buffalo Germans team, is often (erroneously in my opinion) considered the top team of the early years in large part because of their 111 game win streak. However, the Germans played this Gloversville team in a double-header just before their streak began and were obliterated 52-32 and 56-13 by the Gloversville team. The Germans then refused to play them again during their winning streak.

Basketball - Gloversville front.jpg
Basketball - Gloversivlle back.jpg
Old 06-25-2022, 12:26 AM

Great post! Very interesting…. I have seen several other Wachter listed on those teams… a Chuck and Joe. Any idea if they are all related?

Frank
Old 06-25-2022, 09:51 AM
Bob C.

Speaking of interesting vintage basketball stories, here's one about the Waterloo Wonders. An unbelievable depression era story from an extremely small and rural Ohio town. They were doing things no one else was at the time, and were possibly an influence on what the Harlem Globetrotters eventually became. (Except their opponents weren't being paid to lay down like the Globetrotters opponents are.)

Below is a link to a 1995 story about them from the SI vault. There is also an almost hour-long PBS documentary that came out about them just a few years back, titled "The 8th Wonder: The Waterloo Wonders". Unfortunately, you can't find and view it for free on YouTube, or elsewhere online, for now. There is a also a book written by Dick Burdette about their exploits, titled "The Fabulous Waterloo Wonders", if anyone is so interested, but again not free. Anyway, they would take on all comers, including college teams, and handle them all pretty well. The reason I bring them up is because they are the kind of story that very few people really know and remember. Also, when I was very young, one of the Wonders players, Beryl Drummond, lived a couple doors over from me.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1995/02/0...-waste-to-ohio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XwZ4b2jUco
Old 06-25-2022, 03:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Love the 'trotters

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-25-2022, 03:19 PM

Default rare

Here's a very esoteric but v rare basketball sign I picked up in the parking lot of the Grass Valley Show last November...the archaic illustration style of the face and hair had me...looks like something from the old west...mixed with the basketball and it was a winner....

Old 06-28-2022, 12:44 PM

Very cool Bob.

Here is another barnstorming team of the 1920's. The Olson Swedes mostly operated in the Midwest.

Rob M

Basketball - Olson Swedes 2.jpg
Old 07-09-2022, 02:23 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Help ID'ing these Basketball Cabinets

Hi Guys:

NOT my area of expertise. I can pick up these attached cabinet cards but know nothing about this kind of collectibles.

They all seemed to have been owned by Karl F. Eipper an Optometrist from Springfield. His name is noted on the reverse of two of the photos so I guess these are his from his "playing days"

The second photos appears to be from Cain's Studios in Springfield Ohio if I am reading the info on the bottom right corner correctly.

The third shows a woman's team

Anyone familiar with these or similar cabinets?Any info appreciated that will advise if I should acquire them and pass them along to others who would enjoy them and add to their collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2453.jpg (190.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2454.jpg (196.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2455.jpg (199.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2456.jpg (189.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2457.jpg (190.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2458.jpg (189.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2459.jpg (188.0 KB, 90 views)
Old 07-09-2022, 04:42 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

The Springfield Ohio Meteors may have been a club team. The 1906 Spalding Basketball guide has them with a record of 9-3. The teams they beat were listed as Cardinals, High School, Wittenberg College (twice), Scouts, Wolverines and Pirates. They also lost to the last 3. In the guide YMCA, high school, academy, university and college teams were listed as such. I noticed in the book that the mighty Gonzaga College, now University played a high school team during the season.

The girl's team is probably Liberty High School. Liberty is northwest of Youngstown.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 07-09-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:59 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
Very cool Bob.

Here is another barnstorming team of the 1920's. The Olson Swedes mostly operated in the Midwest.

Rob M

Attachment 522978
Wow. Cool photo but the stripes are to much for my eyes

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson