NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-17-2017, 07:46 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Default Shipping?

What seems reasonable for a $150 card? I just won one on eBay and the seller is charging 8.95. It's not a big deal, I just don't understand why so much. I sent a comment that it seemed a little high but don't expect a reply.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:49 PM
Dan Bl@u

I also noticed that seller (he has some other items ending tonight) and found it pretty unusual. I usually charge $3.25 to cover postage and supplies (which is a loss by a couple pennies). Since he advertises the shipping cost in advance, I guess you can't do much except ding him on the stars.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
, I guess you can't do much except ding him on the stars.
I was thinking about that, just don't know if it is customary.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
I was thinking about that, just don't know if it is customary.
I can't recall ever paying more than $4 shipping on a card of that value. I've never given less than 5 stars on shipping, but I certainly would in your case, and wouldn't feel bad about it.

ETA: I guess you may want to wait and see how the card arrives. If he sends it in a flat-rate box, I guess the shipping price isn't too bad. I think that's a little overkill for a $150 card, but I know some buyers may prefer that. If he sends it in a regular bubble mailer, then it's unreasonable.

Last edited by Bliggity; 09-17-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
I can't recall ever paying more than $4 shipping on a card of that value. I've never given less than 5 stars on shipping, but I certainly would in your case, and wouldn't feel bad about it.

ETA: I guess you may want to wait and see how the card arrives. If he sends it in a flat-rate box, I guess the shipping price isn't too bad. I think that's a little overkill for a $150 card, but I know some buyers may prefer that. If he sends it in a regular bubble mailer, then it's unreasonable.
Thanks for the reply. I'll do that-wait for it to arrive.
Btw, I have an nicely centered 1939 Play Ball Joe DiMaggio SGC 80. Just love it!

Last edited by BruceinGa; 09-17-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:19 PM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll do that-wait for it to arrive.
Btw, I have an nicely centered 1939 Play Ball Joe DiMaggio SGC 80. Just love it!
Well obviously now you have to show it!

Not to derail the thread or anything...
Old 09-17-2017, 08:26 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Working on it. Comcast keeps going down
Old 09-17-2017, 08:29 PM
keith janosky

Buy the card from one of the major auction companies and it would be 15.00 shipping plus 20% buyer's premium

Last edited by keithsky; 09-17-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

For any card over $100 I usually ask $10 for shipping. Covers the priority mail box and the occasional purchase of bubble wrap and tape. And my time to walk to the post office and wait in line. And send you an email with tracking info. May not be the cheapest but card will be safe and haven't lost one yet.

In any event, the price of shipping is pretty irrelevant by itself. What's important is how much you are paying for the card plus shipping.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-17-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:48 PM
Bruce Fairchild

finally.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:51 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
Buy the card from one of the major auction companies and it would be 15.00 shipping plus 20% buyer's premium
That's probably why I don't do business with auction houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
For any card over $100 I usually ask $10 for shipping. Covers the priority mail box and the occasional purchase of bubble wrap and tape. And my time to walk to the post office and wait in line. And send you an email with tracking info. May not be the cheapest but card will be safe and haven't lost one yet.
Maybe that's reasonable. I saw the shipping when I sniped it so I should nt' complain too much.

In any event, the price of shipping is pretty irrelevant by itself. What's important is how much you are paying for the card plus shipping.
I did get the card for what I consider a deal.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:51 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithsky View Post
Keith, I won a single, graded card for $99.60 (with BP) in last week's Mile High Auction, and I was invoiced $11.10 for shipping. I have asked Mile High to revisit this charge and mentioned that their out-of-pocket cost for First Class Mail with insurance should be no more than $5-6. No response yet.

Others may disagree, but IMHO, an auction house should charge only its out-of-pocket shipping cost (USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc.), with the cost of in-house labor being covered by its BP. I applaud those auction houses - Sterling, LOTG, and others - that appear to me to do this. Even better is REA, where shipping costs are fully covered by the BP.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:47 AM
Mike

If we are talking about the same vendor, the $8.95 is for a Priority Box on anything over $100. Under $100, he says he will ship in a bubble mailer and refund $4.50 upon shipping. I won a $50 common T206 PSA 4. I will see if the refund actually happens.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
If we are talking about the same vendor, the $8.95 is for a Priority Box on anything over $100. Under $100, he says he will ship in a bubble mailer and refund $4.50 upon shipping. I won a $50 common T206 PSA 4. I will see if the refund actually happens.
Not the same seller. This one does send via Priority Mail.
Like I said in my original post, not a big deal. I was just curious as to other's thoughts.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:52 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

In a few short weeks we've gone from bitching at Christie's for $1500 in shipping costs to bitching about $10. Sheesh. Maybe the Seller should be required to drive to your home and kneel down in the driveway and hand the card to you on a silver platter, all the while humbly thanking you for your business.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:30 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I don't understand? If the seller advertised his shipping cost, there should be no problem on your end. You should have just factored that into the cost of the overall purchase price. If it comes well packed by priority mail, the seller lived up to his end of the deal. Am I missing something?

I am also frustrated with the big Auction Houses. For the most part you bid with no idea of the actual shipping and handling charges. The one positive with eBay is that most sellers put the actual shipping charges that you will pay in their listing.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2017, 06:52 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I've paid 40 bucks for mailing before on something that was maybe 6 bucks to ship. Because both myself and the other bidders factored it into the bidding, I won it at a reasonable combined price.

I honestly could not care the cost as long as the combined amount meets my price guideline.

As long as the seller was up front and honest at the start of the auction, I see no issue with this. I think hitting people for stars on shipping when it was disclosed is petty as you chose to bid at the terms up front.

I do agree with people discussing auction houses as that cost is usually a surprise at invoice.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:53 AM

Not all AH's gouge on shipping. I charge $5.00 on all single/pair of graded cards under $200, which goes cardboard wrapped in a bubble mailer. $4 if it's under $100 The collectible insurance covers it and the PO provides free tracking. As the value increases I add a buck or two at each price level or the number of cards increases, to the point of where it becomes flat rate boxes, which can hold a lot for $14-18 plus a bit extra for the private insurance cost.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:05 AM
Bruce Fairchild

[QUOTE=ibuysportsephemera;1702132]I don't understand?. Am I missing something?

/QUOTE]

No, you're not. I bid knowing the shipping cost. I won't ding him for the "high" shipping charge.
I was wondering what board members thought.
Thanks for all that responded.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:59 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Maybe the Seller should be required to drive to your home and kneel down in the driveway and hand the card to you on a silver platter, all the while humbly thanking you for your business.
Now you're talkin' Steve!
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:29 PM
Bob Davies

Try being in Canada, where eBay charges ridiculous amounts through their Global Shipping Program. I'm with you, I include those charges when bidding, and seldom win anything from anyone who uses that program.

Lots of discussion around whether Americans who use that program actually realize it lowers the number of potential bidders for their products.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:43 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Lots of discussion around whether Americans who use that program actually realize it lowers the number of potential bidders for their products.
The probability is great!
Old 09-19-2017, 06:32 AM

Always factor shipping charges into total price. For me personally, I could care less if I am paying $150 for the card and $8.95 for shipping. or if I am paying $158.95 for the card with free shipping. It's the same price and as long as I know that before clicking the buy button, why should I complain?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:36 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default ebay global shipping

Quote:
Try being in Canada, where eBay charges ridiculous amounts through their Global Shipping Program. I'm with you, I include those charges when bidding, and seldom win anything from anyone who uses that program.

I use Ebay Global shipping for international and only ebay global shipping
hundred of successful Global shipping transactions .
If not for ebay global I would not even offer international shipping , due the major hassle it can be.
Some International buyers complain about the charges and then ask me to ship it by other means , but there is always a caveat , that being I lie on the customs forms as to its true value or what the contents are , or just put some stamps on it and mail it with no declaration . The buyer saves money with zero risk , because if it gets held in customs,lost or not delivered Ebay will give the buyer their full money back plus the shipping cost , How doing that makes any sense for the seller as good business is beyond me , so if it means losing those customers so be it ,
Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagechris View Post
Always factor shipping charges into total price. For me personally, I could care less if I am paying $150 for the card and $8.95 for shipping. or if I am paying $158.95 for the card with free shipping. It's the same price and as long as I know that before clicking the buy button, why should I complain?
There you go! Pretty simple stuff
Old 09-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:

Most of those sellers don't care, as they wouldn't ship to Canada without it. During the "hay day" of Ebay, I can't tell you how many packages that got shipped to Canada were "lost". It was enough to make me realize shipping to Canada was a money losing proposition.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalimey View Post
If not for ebay global I would not even offer international shipping , due the major hassle it can be.
Some International buyers complain about the charges and then ask me to ship it by other means , but there is always a caveat , that being I lie on the customs forms as to its true value or what the contents are , or just put some stamps on it and mail it with no declaration . The buyer saves money with zero risk , because if it gets held in customs,lost or not delivered Ebay will give the buyer their full money back plus the shipping cost , How doing that makes any sense for the seller as good business is beyond me , so if it means losing those customers so be it ,
100% in agreement with this.....zero risk to the buyer....100% risk on the seller.....horrible selling practices and lord help the sellers that engage in that.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 AM
De.rek Gre.nce

Quote:
+1 it's just too risky
Old 09-19-2017, 10:06 AM
Banned

Pretty sure OP wasn't complaining after the fact and threatening negative feedback. He was just wondering what others thought of the price of shipping.
In my opinion it's high.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:57 AM

Default Current USPS rates

Here is a link to current USPS rates:

http://www.nerdylorrin.net/jerry/postages/index.html

Note smallest priority box is $7.15
Insurance (over $50. for the small priority box) is $3.35

Total for priority and insurance $150. card is $10.50

To those in Canada:

We have LOTS of Canadian customers. MOST have a drop box in the USA and smuggle the packages across the border (not promoting this, simply posting reality). Reason: packages to Canada MUST go Registered Mail (+$23.50) to be insured. Add the $23.50 to the actual postage costs.

Many vendors, due to previous experiences, will NOT mail anything uninsured!

Jon.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Dave

People also forget that the combination of Ebay/Paypal also takes about a 13% cut of the S&H costs.

The obvious math of a $10 shipping charge = the seller is only seeing $8.70 of that. It's actually a little bit higher on the Paypal end if it's an International transaction.

Now, if they throw it in a letter envelope with a couple stamps on it, that's highway robbery and irresponsible. If they send it securely and they disclose the shipping cost up front, there should not be an issue.

Years ago I had a Net54 member ding me with a 1 on shipping cost, which put me at a threshold which ended up costing me probably 100 bucks in Ebay discounts over the next couple months before I caught back up again.

My crime? I charged $4.95 S&H for a card that ended up selling at auction for about $77.00. I think it was a card I had anticipated would probably sell for over $100 bucks when I listed it. It was fully disclosed in the auction up front. The guy paid right away and did not make a peep about the shipping until he left feedback a week later after he received the card. I sent the card 1st Class Package rate with cardboard reinforcement and Insurance. Total shipping (not including supplies/fees etc.) cost to me at the time was about $4.60.

The guy wanted to teach me a lesson. He's the type who likes to teach people/sellers a lesson when they don't do everything exactly the way he might have done it. Scanning his feedback left I noticed several other Net54 members he had done the exact same thing to. Nobody ever called him out (I'm not going to either), because he is generally a respected member on here, but I'm sure some of you will know exactly who I'm talking about. He's a paranoid type who thinks he's the only righteous one out there, and everybody else is out there trying to screw him over.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:36 AM

Any card below $750 can be properly shipped for $3 (I charge $4 to cover packing materials). Anything over $750, first class with signature confirmation and anything over $2200 goes priority express with signature confirmation. I charge $4 for the first card and $.20 per card after that - anything that goes high I just eat the shipping cost.

Last edited by Sean1125; 09-19-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
Pretty sure OP wasn't complaining after the fact and threatening negative feedback. He was just wondering what others thought of the price of shipping.
In my opinion it's high.
Thank you! Even though in my original post I did mention negative feedback I probably wouldn't follow through with it. I was just wondering how many sellers here wouldn't hesitate charging $9 shipping.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Most of those sellers don't care, as they wouldn't ship to Canada without it. During the "hay day" of Ebay, I can't tell you how many packages that got shipped to Canada were "lost". It was enough to make me realize shipping to Canada was a money losing proposition.
Both of these comments are fair enough. I guess I always believe in integrity, and your word is your word; karma is a b*tch too.

Anyone asking you to lie about the value would be the same person who then tells you the package never showed up. I've ordered hundreds of items from eBay and major auction houses from the US, and I can think of one $150 item that never showed up. However, I did order some cards from 1911 from a major US auction house, over $1000 total, and I came home one night after work and they were sitting on my front porch, in plain view. I got lucky there.

As for you saying sellers don't care, that is fair too. Sellers certainly have the right to choose their potential market as they see fit for their business. My point was wondering if American sellers actually know what eBay's GSP charges, and that it could impact a potential customer. I think you are telling me you are aware of it, but it's not worth the hassle to do something else.

Got it, question answered. Thanks all...

Last edited by Stampsfan; 09-19-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:20 PM
D.mitr.y D.

I'm assuming these are the value thresholds and shipping methods that your private insurance carrier requires.

Not everyone has an insurance policy on their collectibles, and would need to fork over much more than that to cover the insurance costs on their packages. Not a chance that you can ship a $750 item fully insured for $3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Any card below $750 can be properly shipped for $3 (I charge $4 to cover packing materials). Anything over $750, first class with signature confirmation and anything over $2200 goes priority express with signature confirmation. I charge $4 for the first card and $.20 per card after that - anything that goes high I just eat the shipping cost.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Robert Williams

Not a chance....and judging by the various answers I am seeing, it seems a though a lot of people really are clueless about the "true" cost of shipping something.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:29 PM

Collectible Insurance requires a signature over $400, so that's going to add a bit to the cost. Below that amount, the delivery confirmation the PO sticks on the package is good enough for them. I believe over $2,000 it is supposed to be Registered or Overnight, but that is not practical on a 20lb flat rate box. On a small order, using a flat rate Express envelope works fine.

Last edited by sb1; 09-19-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:33 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Collectible Insurance requires a signature over $400, so that's going to add a bit to the cost. Below that amount, the delivery confirmation the PO sticks on the package is good enough for them.
If the card was maybe under $40 I'd consider an envelope. Other than that its a priority mail box. I put a card in a padded envelope once and it got cracked. Factor my $10 charge into your asking price.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:51 PM

On the under $400's, they are usually one or maybe two graded cards, sandwiched in cardboard and well taped, in a padded envelope. If it's 3-5 graded cards, they will usually still go first class in the small boxes available from u-line. Past that is flat rate boxes.

I used to use the small priority boxes until the rate kept going up and realized the small 400 count U-line boxes would go first class for 1/2 the price, and many, many times be there in the same time frame as the priority boxes.

Last edited by sb1; 09-19-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Just because it can be doesn't mean it should be. A single card in a graded holder packed well in a bubble envelope sent Priority Mail with insurance (you bet your ass I am going to insure it if it is that expensive) would cost $10.00. Not to mention time, other materials such as tape, bubble wrap, gas to the PO, etc.

If you are going to buy a card worth a couple hundred bucks, why in the hell would you ever worry about a few bucks shipping if it gets to you quickly and safely?

To Bruce, the OP..... it does seem high for one card, and if it were put in a holder and tossed in a white letter envelope with a stamp that's one thing. But $7.95 really isn't bad at all for that nice of a card. Even sent 1st class from Birmingham, if insured it would cost in the $6 range. And has already stated of that $7.95, the seller only gets $6.91 after ebay and paypal fees.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:36 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Not a chance....and judging by the various answers I am seeing, it seems a though a lot of people really are clueless about the "true" cost of shipping something.
Sadly it's that way in business for most things. People think they know the cost of the item and if the price is higher than 1.5x or maybe 2x they think they are getting ripped off. But they don't understand all the costs that goes into running a business or selling costs. The internet has only made this mindset worse.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:48 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I understand that some of you guys have been ripped off in the past so I don't blame you if you feel the need to use Global or refuse to ship to CDN's, but I will say, I have a hard time understanding how shipping, using Global can be so expensive when I can receive cards all the way from California or Texas and only pay $3.00 dollars with tracking?

Imo, you guys are being gouged big time and E-Bay is getting rich off of you at a time when you are losing business because you use Global shipping.

99% of my purchases have come from the States, and although I use to pay a higher than average price of $15.00 for shipping from a big E-Bay seller, mentioned more than a few times on this site, I no longer choose to use them, (for more reasons than just shipping) as I can get cards shipped to me for 5x less that cost.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I guess if you haven't been to the post office often you may not have a clue what things cost. A stamp might be 40 something cents. A package isn't. Small priority mail box is 6 bucks 85 I think. Add another buck fifty (?) for signature. And then you need bubble wrap and the time it takes to package it and stand in line. Whatever.
As someone said, if you really care about the card you've bought don't you want it shipped safely?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I mailed a Goudey Premium to a board member this morning. Generally poor condition. I mailed it as cheap as I could because it was only a $25-$30 item. First I stood in line at CVS at 8 am and bought a large enough padded envelope for $3.25. Then I went back to my office and packed it up. Then went to the post office and stood in line for 10 minutes. I mailed it first class since it wasn't going far. Cost $4.35 I think. That's almost $8 bucks not counting for my time. And that's as cheap as I could mail it.

Some of you guys crack me up.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 09-19-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:38 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
I also noticed that seller (he has some other items ending tonight) and found it pretty unusual. I usually charge $3.25 to cover postage and supplies (which is a loss by a couple pennies). Since he advertises the shipping cost in advance, I guess you can't do much except ding him on the stars.
My response to that is, if a seller lists a fixed shipping cost and you are aware of it, then it is what it is and there should be no issues.

If your card arrives in a well-secured box, etc., then there is zero to complain about.

If it arrives in a flimsy package, then you can complain and ding.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 09-20-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
I mailed a Goudey Premium to a board member this morning. Generally poor condition. I mailed it as cheap as I could because it was only a $25-$30 item. First I stood in line at CVS at 8 am and bought a large enough padded envelope for $3.25. Then I went back to my office and packed it up. Then went to the post office and stood in line for 10 minutes. I mailed it first class since it wasn't going far. Cost $4.35 I think. That's almost $8 bucks not counting for my time. And that's as cheap as I could mail it.

Some of you guys crack me up.
This is a ridiculous post.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
This is a ridiculous post.
Apologies I'm not Amazon and don't have a shipping department.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Apologies I'm not Amazon and don't have a shipping department.
This is just between you and I. Don't tell the other guys...

There are many locations you can choose from, post office, hardware or grocery/convinces store. They are all likely to sell bubble mailers in Qty among other shipping supplies. This way you can greatly reduce your number of trips. You have your cards and the packaging in the same location. This way once you've packaged your items there is only one trip to the post office.

Also might I suggest adjusting you post office visiting times. I've always had my best luck between 10-11am and 2-3:30pm. This should greatly reduce your time spent waiting in line.

but like I said, keep it on the dl.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:17 AM
Lonnie Nagel

I stopped posting separate shipping charges on ebay long ago and provide "Free" shipping to US Addresses on every thing I list. As a result - automatic - 5 stars on every transaction for shipping. Typically I just add $3 (on shipments of 1 or a few cards) over my selling price to the auction start price or BIN.

Havent bought a bubble mailer in years - since I am both a buyer and seller I open carefully and reuse most all of the bubble mailers that my purchases come in.

My expenses end up being actual shipping cost - purchased thru ebay (which includes a small discount with free tracking) and clear packing tape

Bought a small digital postage scale years ago and Im sure it has paid for itself several times over now.

I am typically a WAY EARLY riser so shipping dept kicks in most mornings around 4-5 am and everything goes to Post Office on my way to work long before they open using the lobby drop box

Cant remember the last time I had a Canadian sale and needed to calculate that cost.

Bottom line - shipping has pretty much become a non issue for me and I never have customers complain about shipping cost - plus it keeps the ebay gods fat, dumb, and happy.

I suspect that had the OP won the card for $160 with Free Shipping this post would be non existent and he would still have been just as happy with the transaction. YES?
Old 09-20-2017, 04:36 AM
Bill O

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
i stopped posting separate shipping charges on ebay long ago and provide "free" shipping to us addresses on every thing i list. As a result - automatic - 5 stars on every transaction for shipping. Typically i just add $3 (on shipments of 1 or a few cards) over my selling price to the auction start price or bin.

Havent bought a bubble mailer in years - since i am both a buyer and seller i open carefully and reuse most all of the bubble mailers that my purchases come in.

My expenses end up being actual shipping cost - purchased thru ebay (which includes a small discount with free tracking) and clear packing tape

bought a small digital postage scale years ago and im sure it has paid for itself several times over now.

I am typically a way early riser so shipping dept kicks in most mornings around 4-5 am and everything goes to post office on my way to work long before they open using the lobby drop box

cant remember the last time i had a canadian sale and needed to calculate that cost.

Bottom line - shipping has pretty much become a non issue for me and i never have customers complain about shipping cost - plus it keeps the ebay gods fat, dumb, and happy.

I suspect that had the op won the card for $160 with free shipping this post would be non existent and he would still have been just as happy with the transaction. Yes?

+ 100