NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Default Lou Lampson really exists!!!

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Video proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yTCq2gkygw

Old 05-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

When I used to work at the National Sports Gallery in Washington DC I stopped by his house a few times in NJ to pick material up for display. The guy did have a ton of jerseys and equipment and he had file cabinets and boxes full of photos that he uses for reference. He does have a really good reference library that is avialable to him, I just don't know how often he uses it.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Thanks for linking to that. I corresponded with Lou years ago when I was doing some basketball research.

Alan

P.S.

Scott - Why wasn't that Sports gallery in the MCI center successful ?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

Is it possible to get in touch with Mr. Lampson?
I do not know anything of him, but to read how your speak of him, perhaps he might have an extensive collection that may contain some images or memorabilia or information on my cousins that I could ask him about?

any help here appreciated
Thanks,
Jason

Old 05-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Alan, poor advertising/promotion in my opinion. Abe Polland and the administration at the MCI center never really promoted it well. It is hard (almost impossible) to run a for profit museum, but not promoting it at all is the kiss of death. I worked there from about 6 months before it opened until about the time that it closed and it was alot of fun. It didn't pay well, but I made good hobby contacts.

I saw something in the paper the other day about a similar museum opening in NY and my first though was "I give it 2 years....tops".

Scott

Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe K.

Scott- I think the NY museum you are referring to is the Sports Museum of America that opened last week downtown on Wall Street. Dorskind(s) gave a plug about it a couple weeks ago on the card forum. Here is a link:

http://www.sportsmuseum.com/sportsmuseum/

I can't say how it compares to the Wash DC gallery as I never went to that and I have yet to go to the SMA, but on the website it looks quite interesting. Seems to be getting a lot of press - at least initially. One thing that might help it's staying power is that it's the new home for the Heisman. My Kids and I were planning on going last week, but didn't make it so we may try to go tomorrow.

Anyone else been yet?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Administrator

It may do fine, but I don't think that it will be easy, not at 20+ dollars a head for admission. Maybe they are getting some sort of help from the city of NY. From the information on the website, it looks just like the MCI gallery.

The memorabilia that was on display at the National Sports Gallery was 1st class and it was good at the beginning because of the initial media coverage of the opening of the MCI center, but it went downhill pretty fast and after the first year the place was pretty much a ghost town except for when there were parties or around gametime. The other problem is that most of the people who visit a place like that have zero interest in the memorabilia, they are just there to play with the interactive exhibits, which means that they come once, but don't return unless the exhibits are changed often, which is really expensive.

Maybe they should hire me as a consultant........

Scott

Old 05-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

In general I think museums and galleries survive when they are non-profit and receive government and private donations. Otherwise, successful galleries are typically a side show of a bigger profit making venture, like an amusement park or car company. I once visited Kohler's (plumbing manufacturing giant) museum of bathrooms when my dad and I were in the city of Kohler Wisconsin and saw a sign. Both of us agreed it was a most fascinating and enjoyable display of historical bathtubs, toilets, sinks and shower doors. It should go without saying that Kohler didn't have the museum as a profit making venture, especially considering it was free.

And if that's not enough excitement for you, Wisconsin also has a Museum of Mustard.

My sister lived in St. Paul and said the University of Minnesota's Ag School there had a Museum of Farm Accidents. As with the Kohler museum, I don't think it was intended as profit making venture. Nor would I guess that it had a food court.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Not really sure what this thread is about, but Lou set up at all the Plymouth, Michigan shows in the late 70's and the 80's. And he is right, he had lots of uniforms displayed at his booth on the walls and everywhere around him. Quite an impressive sight.

joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 05-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Hey Joe, I started the thread because of a running joke...that I guess is more "running" on the gameused forum. Lampson has made some incredibly bad authentication errors in the last few years and no one knows how to get a hold of him except for I guess a few auction houses.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Clearly, this thread is about the Museum of Farm Accidents, St. Paul Minnesota.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Dorskind

Attached is a link to a story on the Sports Museum's new advertising
campaign from today's New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/19/business/media/19adnewsletter1.html?8ad&emc=seiaa1,

FYI, in a post several weeks ago, we mentioned a visit to the Museum

It was, and is not our intention to "plug" the Museum.

We, along with a select group of distinguished collectors, investors
and VIPS were invited to the opening. The Museum is in negotiations
with us with regard to the possible loan and/or purchase of a select
few ultra rare, ultra high grade baseball items. Items from The Dorskind
Collection have been featured at three different museum exhibits.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 05-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe K.

My daughters and I didn’t make it to the Museum this past weekend. Our social calendar was just too filled with other “distinguished” VIP gatherings....one of which consisted of cake, balloons, cookies and goodie bags!!! Yeah!! Maybe we’ll make it soon and I think I’ll bring some of my “Ultra” common, ultra mid grade baseball items to see if the museum wants to loan and/or purchase them. Our collection was featured at Wilson Elementary School 4th grade show and tell. (we got cookies there too! )

...All in fun Bruce .

Old 05-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

Hello,I'm new here but I'm a victim of Lou's authentification inaccuracy.I purchased a pair of supposedly Sparky Andersons game used shoes and thru reseach found out that these shoes could not have possibly been his.The shoes were red in color and come to find out that while Sparky was with the Reds they were not allow to wear red shoes,only black. It was not until 1983 that they were allowed to change to a color .This rule was documented with the Reds organizasion.I tried to get ahold of him thru the memorabilia service that guaranteed 100% authentic but was very rudely told that I could not talk to him and that they would not discuss any questions about these shoes.So I'm stuck with some very expensive shoes that I would not try to sell again because I know that they are not authentic.So there is my two cents on Lou.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

Joe,

Great post. An afternoon with your daughters and cookies blows away an exclusive afternoon spent with the self indulged any day of the week in my opinion. Treasure those moments!

Bruces: oh, nevermind....

Greg

Old 05-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear that Steve, and that's the reason I started this thread. I've read so many bad things about Lou Lampson on the GU forum and how difficult he is to get a hold of that I was surprised to see that Chris Nerat was able to get an interview with him.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I've been meaning to post the story about my one and only meeting with Lou Lampson.

About ten years ago I had a uniform of a retired football great in one of my auctions. Never should have taken it, since I knew absolutely zero about NFL game worn jerseys. A prospective bidder pointed out to me that the uniform looked bad, and he contacted Lou for his opinion. Lou called me and told me the jersey was clearly a fake. Somewhere in the conversation I mentioned I would be in New Jersey that Saturday night at my brother-in-law's. Lou, who also lives in NJ, told me to bring the uniform with me. He met me in Ridgefield Park, brought a genuine exemplar with him, and spent an hour going over every diagnostic point of both the real and fake uniform. He had no financial interest in spending all this time with me, and asked for nothing in return.

I never spoke to Lou again but he left a lasting impression on all of us. I know his reputation has taken a hit over the years, but on that one night he handled himself in a professional and selfless manner.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I have met him as well, and observed the same qualities as Barry did. Lou is a stand-up guy. Of course he has made some mistakes (many of which have been well publicized). I think some of his mistakes are due to being spread thin or just not taking the proper time to do a full analysis.

Authenticating can be a thankless business, and one where the authenticator is taken for granted/only noticed when he makes a mistake. That's one of the reasons Dave Bushing cited for getting out of the authentication business (and he is as respected as anyone).

There are many other recent threads about PSA encapsulating cards that are trimmed (even Honus Wagner?), doctored cards (Nodgrass), Autograph authenticators who have passed bogus items (Sal Bando/PSA) etc. I don't think there is any malice or bad intent on the part of Lou Lampson (or any of these authenticators). Just some mistakes made, as human beings tend to do.

FWIW, I have experienced the exact same from Mastro, Grey Flannel and the like (all of whom have responded with proper refunds or other compensation). I think it is incumbent on the Auction House to provide a refund, if the questionable item is proven to be different than described.

It was inexcusable for Steve (the purchaser of Sparky Anderson's Cleats) not to receive a refund. But this would typically come from the auction house, which I believe to be American Memorabilia. I am sure it was AMI who rebuffed Steve, and not Lou Lampson. And good luck, dealing with AMI... you'll never see a penny in return.

Lou Lampson authenticates for at least 5 other reputable Houses, all of whom would have provided a full a refund or at least issued compensation.