NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Vintage Postcard Mystery - Help me crack the Case!

Not long ago I obtained some vintage postcards sold to me by a gentleman who's father passed away. They were in his father's sportscard collection and he knew nothing about the back story of how he obtained them.
There are 1 football and 6 baseball themed postcards. They are somewhat risque for the time depicting flirtatious acts and were wittingly entitled with a framed caption.
The copyright line is found on the bottom of the caption frame on the front of the postcard. It reads: copyright 1910 by the colonial Art Pub. Co., B'klyn, N.Y. Published by F.G. Henry & Co. Inc. N.Y.
These were obviously part of a set, but I'm not sure how many the set consisted of? I've seen at least two more on ebay of the same style entitled "A Highball" and "Breaking her Contract" so I know there are at least 8 different baseball ones. Any additional background or info on this set is appreciated.

What I'm really interested in, however, is on the OTHER side. All of these postcards have been written, addressed, and postmarked. All are written by the same person to the same person over the course of 5 months. I've deciphered the handwriting and have typed out each letter below its image. Some of the words I could not make out - they are in red.

What I am looking to accomplish:

1) decipher the remaining words
2) identify who the sender and recipient were
3) identify and locate relatives of the sender and recipient
4) contact the relatives of the sender or recipient and gift them with items from their family history

I have not had any experience with genealogy and quite frankly am too intimidated to accomplish such a task by myself. I thought it might be interesting to make it a group project and follow this rabbit down the trail wherever it may lead. Considering the subject matter on the front of the postcards is baseball related and quite a few baseball references are made throoughout the letters, I figured this would be a good place to do it. Whether you are able to help or just want to come back from time to time to see if any progress has been made I appreciate your time and interest.

Also, let me request, if you do quote a response on this thread that contains an image, please remove the image from your quote to minimize the amount of scrolling we have to do, thanks!

Last edited by 4reals; 06-14-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Postcard #1 of 7

Post Card #1 of 7 – Interference
Postmarked: May 20, 3:30P, 1910, Meadville, PA
Addressed to: Miss Flossie Horning, Perch River, N.Y. c/o George Northrup

Received your card. Was glad to get a (girl) card. Nobody else has sent me cards from S.D.
Ans. (answer) soon.
Lewis Jones

Last edited by 4reals; 06-14-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Postcard #2 of 7

Post Card #2 of 7 – A Chance Play
Postmarked: Jul 23, 6pm, 1910, Redfield, South Dakota
Addressed to: Flossie Horning, Mellette, S.D.

…..two at Faulkton Thursday & Friday. I went to Faulkton yesterday by auto to see the game, and it was a good one. Came back on the train, as Norbeck made a trip North to 2 or 3 well rigs, getting in at midnight. Some of the crops west are junk others are pretty good. How are they up that way. I suppose you know of the fire at Aberdeen, loosing thier Opera House. which will put the show business on the bum? brim? burn? up there for sometime no excitement here of any kind now; Hot dusty and worn.
G.L.

Last edited by 4reals; 06-16-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Postcard #3 of 7

Post Card #3 of 7 – A Steal

#1 of 2 – sent the same day
Postmarked: Aug 8, 3AM, 1910, Redfield, S. Dakota
Addressed to: Flossie Horning, Mellette, S. D.

Redfield, Aug. 6 – 1910 – 5:30 P.M. Friend Flossie: Hello. How you was this cloudy day. Tried to rain a little here but did not succeed very well. Our boys beat Aberdeen here, yesterday and day before, but won only one out of the five at Aberdeen. They go to Huron tonight for three games 7-8-9. I am getting to be a real live fan, as I am taking in all the games here but do not get to go away to any much.

Last edited by 4reals; 06-14-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Postcard #4 of 7

***This postcard contains a derogatory word that I do not condone the use of.

Post Card #4 of 7 – Catching a hot one
#2 of 2 – sent the same day
Postmarked: Aug 8, 3AM, 1910, Redfield, South Dakota

2. Our business men have decided to try the Fair again this year Sept. 6-7-8-9. We have had a (n*****) Minstrel 2 nights this week. I went the first night, pretty fair. Wheat is turning out so much better than was looked for, that we may not be in such bad shape this fall after all, a little rain now soon will help the corn out wonderfully. I guess there are no exemptions to the Hills this year. By.by. in haste. G.L.

Last edited by 4reals; 06-16-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Postcard #5 of 7

Post Card #5 of 7 – A Balk

#1 of 2 – sent the same day
Postmarked: Aug 19, 6 PM, 1910, Redfield, South Dakota

Redfield, Aug. 19 – 1910. Friend Flossie: Most time to go for dinner. Your cards at hand this morning. Carl was saying he thought he seen you run by him the other day, so as I take most of the ball games I kept a watch for you but did not see you. Huron beat us yesterday 5 to 2, we won the day before 4 to 0. They play again today. I did not take in any of the Lewis shows so cannot tell you anything about them. I understand they are to be here during fair week.

Last edited by 4reals; 06-14-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:00 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I'm thinking the 'pigs' is 'rigs.' Maybe they stopped by some oil well rigs or something.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

thank you, adjustment made
Old 06-14-2013, 05:51 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Another thought. Where you have 'Ser.', it could be either Senator (Sen.) or General (Gen.) Nicholson he's referring to. Search those names out and see if anything pops.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

I do now believe the first letter is a G, by comparing it to the word girls later in the same letter but I'm still not sure what the last letter is. It might be Gen. but if it is an n it doesn't look like his other n's. Is there any other abbrev. it could possibly be? Ge_?