NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 01-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Johnny S

Default Give Pat's their rings now.....

Hoping for an Eagles and Bears game that will be an awesome game,but does anyone even have a chance at a ring besides the Patriots ? NO
Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Jim D

they are only one Tom Brady knee injury away from being useless..

Steelers can beat em, Colts, Ravens.... in the AFC and Packers/ Eagles Saints in the NFC....

only takes a few bumps bruises and lucky breaks to beat any team!

Oh wait.. typical Patriots fan.... I think they shipped 100,000 19-0 t-shirts to Africa after their "guaranteed Superbowl"

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
Oh wait.. typical Patriots fan.... I think they shipped 100,000 19-0 t-shirts to Africa after their "guaranteed Superbowl"
Actually I hate the Pat's and unfortunately am a Vikings fan but this season has changed my tune on the Pat's. And the team to beat in the NFC is the Bears they are better than anyone else but can easily lose. I was lucky to see the Pat's early this year and thought their defense was horrible. I am amazed to see what they have done and am officially a Brady fan, I might even have to get his jersey. He makes every other quarterback look like a 2nd stringer, and the best of his generation by miles. Bottom line is he is amazing and doesn't have the best players around him which says even more about him and his coach ! And as a Randy Moss fan all I can say is he will regret not keeping his mouth shut for the rest of his career, what an idiot, now he will never get a ring !
Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM
P.hil €lli$

Hey Johnny, sorry to hear that you are a Vikings fan........tough year.

I am a Packers fan that lives right in the middle of Patriots country. I am amazed at what the Pats did this year with their personnel, but almost any team in the playoffs can beat them. Remember last year? Before everyone sat down in my mancave, the Pats were out of the game. I think some teams play them much different in the post-season lately. They can be had.

Also, I don't think the Bears are the best team in the NFC, I'm not saying that it's the Packers, but the Pack could have very easily beat them the first time and taken the division. I think that the only team in the NFC with no chance of making the Super Bowl is SEATTLE.

It will be fun this weekend Packers at Philly on Sunday afternoon. Vick could give the Pack some trouble scrambling, but the Packers defense has looked great recently. A ton of blitzes.

Last edited by pgellis; 01-03-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: changed playoff to Super Bowl for Seattle
Old 01-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Johnny S

Yeah Phil the Pack is looking good ! But playing in Chicago is always tough. Still can't believe the Vikings just beat the Eagles so the Pack should play them tough. NFC playoffs will be great to watch and see who is gonna play the Pat's and get destroyed !
Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM
P.hil €lli$

God I hope the Pats don't win it again. I can't take it here living in the middle of Patriots country. ANYBODY but them.

Johnny, having a hard time getting in the chat room today. Have you tried to get in?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Jeff

"dewey defeats truman!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Rob G.

I hate the Patriots more than any professional sports team. But they are clearly the best team in the NFL right now.

While I do think Brady is great, I think Belichick is what makes the team click. Look at what they did in 2008 when rookie QB Matt Cassel took over when Brady got injured in the first game and got the team to 11-5. Ever since Logan Mankins came back this season, they've been dominating. Give Brady 5 seconds in the pocket (sometimes he gets 10) and SOMEONE will be open. Brady will find him. They need to put pressure on Brady, like the Ravens did on 2009 playoffs and like the Giants did in 2007 Super Bowl.

ANY team but the Pats is who I'm rooting for ) And the Jets, hee hee.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

I'm a Pats fan, but I can understand people hating them. I also think I'm starting to know how Yankees fans feel. Weird experience for a Boston guy.

I also have a friend who's a Packer fan, so there's at least two around here. There's lots of worse teams to root for. Gotta love the old fashioned small town team that's publicly owned. A great connection to the roots of the NFL.

I also have to root for the Redskins.... Wife's from DC, so I get two teams. Besides, they're really a Boston team, so it's ok.

Even as a fan, I'm not expecting a superbowl win. They've got a huge advantage with Brady and Bellichick, but the defense has a lot of inexperienced guys, and the no interception streak has to end sometime.

Steve B
Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
I hate the Patriots more than any professional sports team.

This is a great compliment for this lifetime Pats fan. Some good teams over the years. Sometimes long on talent but finding a way to lose in the end. I have been a fan since I was kid in the mid 60's.

Not taken seriously till 2001( like the Jets now) and now hated. That is the ultimate compliment. But boy to I hate the title to this thread. Not counting chickens before........ Stuff can happen.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
"dewey defeats truman!
Now that is funny Jeff.

trumandewey.jpg
Old 01-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Robert Williams

Ya know....the said the same thing about a Colts team in SuperBowl III. I think we all know how that turned out. Also in the 1983 NCAA tournament there was a quarterfinal game that everyone said was the REAL national championship. The winner of that game would CRUSH whoever won the other quarterfinal. Final score of the championship game of David vs Goliath? NCSU 54 - Houston 52!! Doh!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 01-07-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1903wschamp View Post
This is a great compliment for this lifetime Pats fan.
I mostly hate them cuz I live in Connecticut and in the 90s Kraft wanted a new stadium but Mass wouldn't help fund it so he signed an agreement with Hartford to move the team there, and then Mass agreed to help Kraft with a new stadium (Gillette) so Kraft backed out of the deal. I was young (and nieve, apparantly) and thought Connecticut was getting an NFL team. Have hated them ever since.

I do respect what they've done as an organization. One of the best dynasties ever. I will root for whichever team plays against them
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Johnny S

It's just one of those years like when you knew the 49ers were gonna win, or you knew the Cowboys were gonna win, and this year you just know the Patriots are gonna win. The only question is what will the spread be in Vegas and who will win what.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:46 AM
P.hil €lli$

Hey Johnny,

I don't see it. I know that they are one of the hottest teams right now, but if there was ever a year that you thought a team would win the Super Bowl it had to be 2008 when the Patriots were undefeated and playing the NFC #5 seed NYG in the Super Bowl..............and we all know what happened that time!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Todd Schultz

Default hope not

It's going to be an all birds Super Bowl. Falcons v. Ravens. You heard it here first
Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
Hey Johnny,

I don't see it. I know that they are one of the hottest teams right now, but if there was ever a year that you thought a team would win the Super Bowl it had to be 2008 when the Patriots were undefeated and playing the NFC #5 seed NYG in the Super Bowl..............and we all know what happened that time!
Yeah the greatest upset in sports because of a lucky catch, that is why the Pat's wont lose they will not let this one slip away. Only way they lose is if Brady gets hurt and can't play. Atlanta will be lucky to get past game one.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:14 AM
FredYoung

I mostly hate them cuz I live in Connecticut and in the 90s Kraft wanted a new stadium but Mass wouldn't help fund it so he signed an agreement with Hartford to move the team there, and then Mass agreed to help Kraft with a new stadium (Gillette) so Kraft backed out of the deal.

Rob---

I hope you know that Kraft never REALLY intended to move the team---He was just using some "smarts" to gain some leverage to stay home--and it worked!

As it is, he still used mostly his money to build the stadium. Mass contributed less of State & taxpayer money to the project than any stadium that's ever been built!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAge50s View Post
Rob---

I hope you know that Kraft never REALLY intended to move the team
Hi Fred,

Yeah, in hindsight it was a pretty good move on his part. But at the time I had my selective hearing on and all I could hear was "NFL team coming to Connecticut!"

I read something on Kraft about how it all started with him getting ownership to the old Foxboro parking lots and it snowballed from there. He had to sell along the way for a nice profit, but he really turned the franchise around! At one point I think St. Louis was a possible location for him to move the team too, that he took a good look at.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:26 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
*snip* I was young (and nieve, apparantly) and thought Connecticut was getting an NFL team. Have hated them ever since.
I understand your bitterness. This town was ripping mad when the team drove out of town on Route 1... But Patriots in Connecticut? C'mon man, There was no Tea Party, Massacre, One if by land-two if by sea, Midnight ride, Shot heard round the world, Bunker Hill, Evacuation Day etc etc. Not to mention, a Sam Adams brewery

Ok, Im done... Back on track;
Old 01-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Michael S

Quote:
I mostly hate them cuz I live in Connecticut and in the 90s Kraft wanted a new stadium but Mass wouldn't help fund it so he signed an agreement with Hartford to move the team there, and then Mass agreed to help Kraft with a new stadium (Gillette) so Kraft backed out of the deal. I was young (and nieve, apparantly) and thought Connecticut was getting an NFL team. Have hated them ever since.

I do respect what they've done as an organization. One of the best dynasties ever. I will root for whichever team plays against them
I see your point. It sucks to be a pawn in a leverage game. When it was happening, I was deciding if I was going to keep being a fan if they moved to Connecticut. I am deeply attached to the Boston area.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Johnny S

They are called the New England Patriots, but around here in the Hartford area seems like more Giants and Jets fans. Who needs a football team here when you have the Rock Cats and the Sun ?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default Jets

I guess that is why they play the games. Although I am a Giants fan...it is still good to be a NY fan.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Johnny S

Any given Sunday, and the Pats defense isn't that good but today is all Bradys fault he played like garbage. So does this mean Randy Moss gets the last laugh and was right all along for once in his life ?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Fred

Yeah, let's give the Pats their AFC East Division rings. One and done....
Old 01-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Jeff

Default Dewey defeats truman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Now that is funny Jeff.

Attachment 30462

Never say never.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 01-16-2011 at 08:36 PM.