NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Default Scanning raw cards

I'm struggling to scan large #'s of raw cards to prepare for sale. Can anyone offer any tips on the quickest/best way to do so. Could include fast/good scanners, general methods,etc. Here is what I am doing now.

Using a flat all-in-one printer/scanner. On my Epson I can do 3 cards at one time and then crop into individual files using Photoshop. I switched today to my wife's Canon Pixma MG7520. With slightly more space around me, I can scan 6 cards at once, but on both I still have trouble getting cards lined up straight. About every 3rd scan at least one or two are slightly askew and I have to re-scan. My eyes aren't sure enough so I use a group of top loaders as a spacer between the cards and the edge so I can get a border around all sides. Even then, I can't keep them straight and have had to live with a certain degree of crooked. I don't know photoshop well enough to straighten the pic once I've cropped it. Any help in that regard would be greatly appreciated. But obviously the goal is to do as many as possible as quickly as possible. Yesterday I scanned 130 cards front and back. Took me 8:30 of actual scanning time. The best I could do is 15-16 per hour.

Also, is 300dpi too high for raw cards? I've found sometimes the scan is picking up things I can't see with my eyes holding the card in front of me or even with a basic magnifying glass. Some scans make the cards look worse than they they look in person.

Lastly, I've read a lot of threads about scanning graded cards and the recommendation of CCD technology. Does this matter with raw cards? I'm attaching a scan of two graded cards I just scanned. Can anyone tell me just by the scan if the Canon MG7520 has CCD?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170919_0002.jpg (73.1 KB, 259 views)
Old 09-19-2017, 06:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

It's tough getting them perfectly straight all the time, especially if the cards aren't perfectly centered in their holders or sleeves.

Are you using the lid open/dark room technique? I found this method much easier as you can see the cards better plus it makes for better looking scans imo.

I have heard CCD scanners are much better as they supposedly just look for the pic/card rather than focus on the holder.

I have tried numerous settings, seen here, but gave up and once I was told out about lid open/dark room technique, I just went with it.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=224696

This test area is at the bottom of the site and is a great place to practice.

Good luck.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:44 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I put my cards in the standard 9-slot plastic binder sheets (I forget the specific name of them). Then I flip the page to scan the backs. Very easy and efficient, and you're scanning 9 cards at a time. Most scanners are at least letter size (8.5" x 11"), so this should work for you.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

I'm scanning 90% raw cards and am scanning to sell. Not sure I want them in sheets when posting to ebay or where ever. I like the idea though, just not sure about the presentation of the cards in sheets. Here is one grouping I just did a few minutes ago. They came out okay because they are all pretty straight to the edge. A few were off a bit, but those were all acceptable.

Irv, I've also noticed that some cards aren't cut straight and some have that slight curve to them and that throws things off a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170919_0003.jpg (75.1 KB, 245 views)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Banned

A quick suggestion would be to figure out how to adjust/straighten the scans in photoshop. Once you figure that out it only takes a few extra seconds per card to straighten them and there's really nothing to it.

Someone needs to invent/manufacture a plastic template that you place on the open scanner which has 6 or nine slots for cards to be lined up perfectly, then you just pick up the template, close the scanner and your good to go.
Not sure if that make sense, probably didn't explain it well enough.
I've actually fashioned a few myself with rulers and cardboard and tape. Works pretty good.

Last edited by OsFan; 09-19-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 AM
Larry More.y

Fujitsu makes several different sheet fed scanner models in various price ranges that allow you to "sheet feed" the cards through. I can SAFELY scan 1000+ cards in less than an hour front/back, consecutively number the images (automatically) and finally insert the images into their appropriate listing in a few clicks.

Ten years ago I used hand place 9 cards on my flatbed scanner, crop/number each image and finally manually add each image to it's listing. With my Fujitsu scanner I can now, in less than an hour, do what used to take me 12+ hours to do. This scanner is worth every penny I spent on it.

If you are only listing a few 100 cards a month it may not be worth the investment and scanning in pages on a flat bed is just fine, but if you get into listing 1000's/month, you might want to consider it.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:08 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
A quick suggestion would be to figure out how to adjust/straighten the scans in photoshop. Once you figure that out it only takes a few extra seconds per card to straighten them and there's really nothing to it.

Someone needs to invent/manufacture a plastic template that you place on the open scanner which has 6 or nine slots for cards to be lined up perfectly, then you just pick up the template, close the scanner and your good to go.
Not sure if that make sense, probably didn't explain it well enough.
I've actually fashioned a few myself with rulers and cardboard and tape. Works pretty good.
Before I started using a sheet fed scanner, I used card pages(as suggested by jollyelm) ...saved me a lot of time in not having to straighten scans.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:17 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I would suggest the free software from kronocard.com.

The software straightens the cards for you. It can also organize and list to sites. A lot of times I just use it to scan the cards and then take the scans to where I need them since I can do multiples quickly as it finds the edges and straightens while still leaving space around the card to clearly see the edges.

Here is a video about the software:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58K6ykJDTzY

Last edited by bn2cardz; 09-20-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:35 AM
Bob F.

PhotoShop already has an action under the File Menu called Automate/Crop and Straighten Photos. Try that.

Last edited by bobsbbcards; 09-20-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:45 AM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Fujitsu makes several different sheet fed scanner models in various price ranges that allow you to "sheet feed" the cards through. I can SAFELY scan 1000+ cards in less than an hour front/back, consecutively number the images (automatically) and finally insert the images into their appropriate listing in a few clicks.

Ten years ago I used hand place 9 cards on my flatbed scanner, crop/number each image and finally manually add each image to it's listing. With my Fujitsu scanner I can now, in less than an hour, do what used to take me 12+ hours to do. This scanner is worth every penny I spent on it.

If you are only listing a few 100 cards a month it may not be worth the investment and scanning in pages on a flat bed is just fine, but if you get into listing 1000's/month, you might want to consider it.
Suggested models? Which do you use?
Old 09-20-2017, 09:57 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
PhotoShop already has an action under the File Menu called Automate/Crop and Straighten Photos. Try that.
The issue with that is the "crop" part of that. It typically crops in a bit and may not show the edges and corners. I use this for doing my type 1 photos for my own reference, but it isn't good for selling items.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:17 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
Suggested models? Which do you use?
Fujitsu 7160 is the one I currently use. Previously I used the Fujitsu S1500....the 7160 has more options and works faster.

I have never used Kronzio, but here is my 7160 model in action in a Kronzio video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGi91cb1VqA

I use the software which comes with the scanner which auto numbers each scan. Then with a few clicks I link the scan of each card to it's corresponding listing. These two steps are what the Kronzio software appears to automate.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:51 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
The issue with that is the "crop" part of that. It typically crops in a bit and may not show the edges and corners. I use this for doing my type 1 photos for my own reference, but it isn't good for selling items.
You're right, I tried that. No border at all. I was hoping there was just a straighten feature where it would detect the image and leave the background alone.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Fujitsu 7160 is the one I currently use. Previously I used the Fujitsu S1500....the 7160 has more options and works faster.

I have never used Kronzio, but here is my 7160 model in action in a Kronzio video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGi91cb1VqA

I use the software which comes with the scanner which auto numbers each scan. Then with a few clicks I link the scan of each card to it's corresponding listing. These two steps are what the Kronzio software appears to automate.
Do you scan vintage cards like that? How in the hell are they not getting damaged? Are the cards being scanned in that video raw, in soft sleeves, top loaders? I couldn't tell.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Patrick N.

Default Comc

Not to change the subject but for $5-10 cards and under you might save your self the time and peace of mind and send them to COMC who will scan and pack your cards for you. I use PIXMA MP 990 and it does a good job as stated earlier cause it has that one element where you don't get that blurriness on graded cards.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I'm scanning 90% raw cards and am scanning to sell. Not sure I want them in sheets when posting to ebay or where ever. I like the idea though, just not sure about the presentation of the cards in sheets. Here is one grouping I just did a few minutes ago. They came out okay because they are all pretty straight to the edge. A few were off a bit, but those were all acceptable.

Irv, I've also noticed that some cards aren't cut straight and some have that slight curve to them and that throws things off a bit.
I have noticed that as well with quite a few of my cards. Personally, I have a bugger of a time cropping my cards! I can never seem to get that figured as I either still have to much of the card saver showing or I end up cutting off part of the border.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:48 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Do you scan vintage cards like that? How in the hell are they not getting damaged? Are the cards being scanned in that video raw, in soft sleeves, top loaders? I couldn't tell.
As mentioned, the cards that get scanned are scanned safely using the Fujitsu..... Scanned 500k+ over the past 6 years without a single issue. I did ask the same question when I bought my first Fujitsu, so to answer it, I took some nice looking cards from the 70s, scanned them and had no issues. I have been using a sheet-fed scanner ever since.

In the video, the cards are being scanned raw.

What many collectors seem to forget is that cards were not packaged by hand, but by machine. A modern sheet fed scanner is probably much more delicate handling the cards than the machinery used to package cards a generation or more ago. A sheet fed scanner is designed to handle and not damage 20LB paper (probably could handle 12-15 LB paper also), so anything heavier should be handled w/o damage.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:44 PM
Chris Counts

I've had great luck with several different scanners. The best advice I can offer is to place a black piece of cardboard behind the card, which really makes the colors pop. I scan cards at 600 dots per inch. Here's a link to my site: http://imageevent.com/ccmcnutt

Last edited by Chris Counts; 09-21-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
I've had great luck with several different scanners. The best advice I can offer is to place a black piece of cardboard behind the card, which really makes the colors pop. I scan cards at 600 dots per inch. Here's a link to my site: http://imageevent.com/ccmcnutt
Great collection!! Your stadium postcards are amazing.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:24 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
Great collection!! Your stadium postcards are amazing.
X2!

Chris, just curious, was your signed Del Crandall card a recent pickup?

I kicked myself in the butt for not grabbing one a few weeks ago that was for sale (bin) on E-Bay for what I thought was a great price. As they say, snooze you lose!