NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Default The Ruth Autographs Keep Coming..

Posted By: Rob L

Don't pass this up. No reserve!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27263&item=5165137954&rd=1

Old 02-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Rob, how about adding you new finds to threads that already exist, instead of clogging up the board with new threads about the same topic.

The way it's going right now, new people would think this a forum about autographs instead of cards. I dont' mind the occasional memorabilia and autograph post/question, but this is getting ridiculous. We don't need to be pointing on every bogus card and autograph on eBay. Although this sig is quite comical.

Jay

Suppose you are an idiot...then suppose you are the President. Oh, wait. I'm repeating myself.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

It's so appauling. Check out the other auctions: A Gehrig, A Foxx and a number of other celebrities. This one deserved it's own thread, it's so....unsettling.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

as Jay's by-line?

Maybe Bill could declare a "cards-only" month?

Old 02-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Administrator

i'm just quoting Mark Twain

Jay

Suppose you are an idiot...then suppose you are the President. Oh, wait. I'm repeating myself.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco

The United States has no native-born criminal class, save the legislature.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Administrator

I can vouch for the SF comment. There were many a wet, damp 50 degree days that made me wish I was back in MN where it was only -20, but was a nice and dry cold.

Jay

Old 02-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I, as well, could live without politcal statments (of any persuasion) on this board.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Is this better?

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Administrator

I'm just curious about something. I have been reading the board for about a year (and love it) and I believe the board is called 'Vintage Baseball Collecting' and I always had the understanding that this board was dedicated to discussing 'Baseball Collectibles' and autographs are collectibles. If I'm wrong, let me know. I am an autograph collector/seller and a baseball card collector/seller and when I check the board every day, I pass by the threads that don't interest me and I read the ones that do interest me. Why are we suddenly in offense to certain topics? I see threads about who should be in the Hall Of Fame, Jose Canseco, a guy did trivia a few weeks ago (rather badly) and this thread is mostly made up of silly sentences about the weather in San Francisco. What is acceptable to everyone if one guy doesn't like this being said on the board and therefore wants to banish something because it doesn't appeal to them. I mean the Autograph business has been under fire of late and it's mostly negative, but Vintage Sports cards and it's dark side is by far a bigger topic.
Am I wrong here? Just curious. Thank You

Old 02-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

I'm with you Dan. I thought this was about different collectibles. If someone is not interested in the topic, skip it. I sure as hell don't read threads that I'm not interested in. Besides, griping about certain threads only places it back at the top of the list again.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Rob, considering the fact that there are probably half a dozen or more threads started about Ruth autographs in the past week or so, is it so tough to keep them all in one thread instead of burying other threads of interest with multiple posts about bogus Ruth sigs?

Hell, we can start a new thread for every bogus sig and card on eBay and then no one would be able to find anything other than threads about bogus items? Home many new people coming to the board do you think would want to come back here if that's all they saw? I'd don't have a problem with non card topics, but creating a new thread for each bogus item we find get tiresome, and makes other threads harder to find, when you can just add it to an existing thread. Is that so much to ask?

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Administrator

I think a lot of it has to do with the number of threads at one time. The occasional Barry Bonds on Steroids is tolerable (barely), but I don't think the people want 10 simultanious threads on the subject or roids. A thread or even two on PSA/DNA autographs is one thing, but when 50 percent of the board threads aren't even about vintage baseball cards, there is an issue.

For off topic issues, if there's a current thread that people are participating in, there may not be a need to make a new thread for each tangent or eBay example or opinion.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

Jay, your correct. A thread is started for every bogus signature, card, etc.. Maybe another board for ragging on crappy auctions is necessary.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Administrator

I don't have the power to delete or block threads, but I have seen which threads are snuffed. The occasional interesting and polite off topic threads are often enjoyed by all. Off topic debates that involve the heavy exchange of personal insults, heated politcal debates or general yahoolery or idiocy are most likely to given the boot.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Threats to Henry also don't go over very well

Jay

Old 02-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B.

how so many people have to be right all of the time. I am new here and my opinion sure doesn't mean squat to most people on this board, but I have had my posts criticized by just a few (normally the same ones who always do) and I sure think twice now when I post. Sometimes this board is not very friendly.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Actually, I'm regularly off topic, but I rarely start a thread. I have enough sense to confine my exotic posts to the middle of a thread about T207s or gum stain removal.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Administrator

The crappy autographs that I do bring up are only brought up because they are hilariously bad (at least to me). I am not trying to bash every bad autograph. For everyone that I post, there are tons of others that are clearly bad that I didn't post. Anyways, I will lay low on these for a while.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Rob, I did find your link to the Ruth signature funny. The only way that autograph could have been worse is if it was mispelled.

Old 02-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shellyjaffe

I think that anytime you can save someone money, it is important. If someone belives that he or she is helping someone from buying the garbage that is out there let them write about it. It is just like a tv if you dont want to watch turn it off. This is a great site for people to learn about all sides of collecting. Since being on here for just a week I have bought some Turkey Reds. A card I have loved since I first saw the Ty Cobb.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Old 02-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Administrator

In light of how many threads we now have complaining about bogus autographs, misrepresented game-used bats, and other non-card gripe threads, I'm sure you don't understand why Jay's complaining - to many of you it may seem that that complaining about these topics has always been the board's focus. But if you could have seen this board back when it had a vintage card "flavor", you'd understand why some of us are a bit disappointed in the turn it's taken. The other stuff is interesting, but it's become overwhelming.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

This board can be rough, especially on newcomers. I am sure that there would be more discussion here if that were not the case. But on the other hand, if anything goes on this board, it would begin to look like the CU board, and nobody wants that.

Network 54 has become the place for all areas of vintage baseball collecting by default.
There is nowhere else to go. Autographs101.com is fine, but there is no room for discussion. Sweetspotnews.com is a pay site that basically caters to a handful of dealers. The Collectors Universe page is just ridiculous. Vintagesportsblog.com is good, but not updated enough. Where else are you going to go to discuss things that are not vintage baseball card related?

Baseball card collectors are doing themselves a favor by learning about other areas of collecting, there is alot of cross over information.

Scott

Old 02-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Old 02-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

let me jump in in the middle of some friends and say that I still hope to see this site be mainly vintage baseball cards. Autograph's are wonderful every once in a while, just like memorabelia, but I still vote to keep it mainly cards. I have been on this site since long before it's inception when it was the old Fullcount Board. When this one got formed I sided with it for it's ease of use. The moderators of both boards (the spin off and this one) are both nice guys and it wasn't personal as to why one succeeded over the other. We were all friends (almost) and came here to talk about cards. That's what I have kept coming back for. If it starts to be something else then I guess I will have to go where there is more card talk....take care all...

edited to be the kinder, gentler, me...

Old 02-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Administrator

...if people who wanted to talk cards felt they had to go form their own board, given the original intended focus of this board.

I guess then the remaining members could re-name this board "Net 54 autograph, game-used memorabilia and vintage watch-dog Forum", and we could name the new one "Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Collecting Forum".

Old 02-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I for one am glad that cards are not the only thing discussed here. I would not have found this site had there not been a discussion of the Matty McIntyre estate photos that I googled up looking for more information on them. I have learned a ton of stuff, made a couple of trades, got a lot of good deals and even earned myself a trip to the Mastronet headquarters in the short time I have been here. IMO there is room for everything that falls under the vintage baseball collecting umbrella. There really are not so many posts here in a day that I think it's even worth complaining about.

Old 02-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Administrator

All I know is that it wasn't for the Vintage Baseball Card board, probably none of you would have ever heard of Jean Shrimpton. If I have contributed anything to this board, it's Shrimpton awareness.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Like I said, the 'graphs I post make me laugh and thought I would share them with the group. If you don't like the threads, fine, don't look. If you feel that these are just posts for bashing bad eBay auctions, fine. However, it seems that most of this board is made up of these same posts regarding cards which gets just as old. If there is an easy way to start a vintage memorabilia forum to get away from the cards, I'm all for it. Since the majority of the users of this forum are card collectors only, it would be a good idea to split away from this board. As far as I am concerned, I will leave the memorabilia posts for others.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Rob, as has been expressed several times, I don't think anyone here (other than Leon, of course) minds threads about autographs or LOAs or tickets or tobacco posters or bats or National Chicle football cards or jerseys or board games or baseball books. It's just that many don't want 15 simultanious threads devoted to PSA/DNA LOAs or hockey sticks or steroids, in particular when the 15 threads could easily fit into one

Old 02-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Rob, I'll say it again and echo what David just said. The problem isn't with you posts, it's with the fact that a new thread is started. Simply tack it onto an existing Ruth autograph thread. And this doesn't go for just autographs, this can be done with cards to. One thread each for cards, sigs, etc is more than enough for exposing bogus items.

Jay

Old 02-15-2005, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Ebay has removed this crummy autograph

--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Rob, Dan and others aren't getting the point at all. We have ALWAYS discussed autographs, memorabilia, etc. - myself as much as anyone. You all have simply changed the focus of the board with the ABUNDANCE of non-card watch-dog posts.

I've stated my thoughts - you guys aren't listening - I'm through with this thread, as it's exactly the kind of stuff we now have too much of.