NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Options for the new Water Cooler Talk section
Allow Religion and Politics 42 17.00%
Allow Religion 0 0%
Allow Politics 7 2.83%
Don't allow either 133 53.85%
Don't make this section (please post why) 17 6.88%
I don't care....do what you want to 48 19.43%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yes, here we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Here we go...
Here we go...
Here we go...

I started a thread regarding poitics in the Water Cooler section!
yes, here we go.....thread locked and member banned for 1 week. best regards

unbanned because Fred is a good guy ....but that thread will stay locked

Last edited by Leon; 01-12-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default if nothing changes.....the decision is

As everyone can see by the poll, with 223 people voting so far, there is a 93% approval rating for a new off topic chat section. For the 15 people that don't want the new section, the other 208 appreciate you letting us have more fun. There was over 50% that do not want politics or religion to be topics, so they won't be permitted.

As a comparison, changing to the new s/w a year and a half ago, if I remember correctly, only had about an 80% approval rating. This is much higher than that, and I would be a bit surprised if we don't have close to 100% of our members that think the new software is better than the old software, as of today. For the 93% that don't have an issue with the new section you can join in anytime, and for the 7% that don't want it, you don't have to but are still welcome to. This doesn't mean an occasional off topic won't be permitted on the main board, they will. But most of them will be in the section for them. The new board rules will go up this week and they will be announced for all to read. Just to be clear, again, I don't see the board changing at all with the new rules. For those that like it the way it is, you should be happy and for those that don't, you will remain unhappy. All in a days collecting. I did listen and took notice of your opinion. I wouldn't have asked if I was unwilling to change mine. Once again thanks to all of our great board members for helping make this decision, and this board, be the best vintage baseball card board on the net. best regards
Old 01-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Matt Wieder

Leon - can we vote on new rules to be added? E.g. a rule that everyone must refrain from starting a thread asking about the authenticity of a Goudey Ruth with a blurry scan until they have started at least 10 other good threads in that forum?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:18 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As everyone can see by the poll, with 223 people voting so far, there is a 93% approval rating for a new off topic chat section. For the 15 people that don't want the new section, the other 208 appreciate you letting us have more fun. There was over 50% that do not want politics or religion to be topics, so they won't be permitted.
Nice spinning. Can I change my vote to "I don't care", heaven forbid I get lumped in with those sociopaths that voted against the thread???

Lovely Day...
Old 01-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default sure thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyman View Post
Nice spinning. Can I change my vote to "I don't care", heaven forbid I get lumped in with those sociopaths that voted against the thread???

Lovely Day...
Sure thing....you can change it, duly noted. If you want to call people sociopaths you can do that too. It's America....
Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Paul

Default A couple of points...

1. I was not in favor of the change to a new board and I have found ZERO benefit in my own interests in Net54 as a result of the change to a new board. The new board is still more cluttered than the old one -- the gift of sight is somewhat a curse, I guess -- and thus my prior objection is still completely true today.

Here's a link to a thread about Ty Cobb on the old board. Take a read -- see how much easier it is to review and read? Now try doing it from your iPhone or Blackberry. Again, much easier in the old world.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...+Ty+Cobb+cards.......

2. It is misleading to say that a water cooler section has a 93% approval rating based on the poll as currently structured. While no further polls are warranted on this topic, I would predict that a binary choice -- water cooler vs. no water cooler -- would show more than 7% against, based on the comments on this thread.

3. Finally, on the concept that this is a family and you want a place on here to talk to your family, that's where you completely lose me and, frankly, this concept does not give enough credit to the value of this board as it is found by most of the people who check it out as an information source on pre-war baseball cards, decidedly not a family.

Moreover, the more you change a proven commodity, the greater the risk that you will lose its essence. Look no further than eBay, which ran much more smoothly as a pure auction site, than it does as a BIN depository. Sure, eBay may make more money doing that, but does anyone seriously question that eBay has lost the essence that made it so popular in the first place? The more add-ons you make to a fundamentally text-based pre-WW2 baseball card message board, the more you run the risk of diluting the brand. And to cavalierly make these add-ons without any acknowledgment of the risk of change is unfortunate and makes me somewhat pessimistic of the board's future.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 01-13-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Michael

Dear Leon,

With all due respect, I don't think your characterization of a 93% approval rating is completely accurate.

In fact, one could easily argue that the approval rating is actually 40% since most who voted that "neither politics or religion" should be included may also believe that this entire section is probably not in the best interests of the website.

If you are looking for the answer, then perhaps you should hold separate poll that asks that very question, rather than trying to answer multiple questions with a single poll question.

Just a thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

As a comparison, changing to the new s/w a year and a half ago, if I remember correctly, only had about an 80% approval rating. This is much higher than that, and I would be a bit surprised if we don't have close to 100% of our members that think the new software is better than the old software, as of today. For the 93% that don't have an issue with the new section you can join in anytime, and for the 7% that don't want it, you don't have to but are still welcome to. This doesn't mean an occasional off topic won't be permitted on the main board, they will. But most of them will be in the section for them. The new board rules will go up this week and they will be announced for all to read. Just to be clear, again, I don't see the board changing at all with the new rules. For those that like it the way it is, you should be happy and for those that don't, you will remain unhappy. All in a days collecting. I did listen and took notice of your opinion. I wouldn't have asked if I was unwilling to change mine. Once again thanks to all of our great board members for helping make this decision, and this board, be the best vintage baseball card board on the net. best regards