NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-22-2018, 05:19 PM
Michael

Default Autograph or Selfie

There is a decent chance that this fall due to my business I will have the opportunity to meet a very famous American singer/songwriter from the 1960s-70s. I am not sure if the venue is proper for autographs/selfies as it will be one on one. If you had the choice to get a selfie or an autograph which would you opt for?
Old 05-22-2018, 05:30 PM
Ben North

Picture every day and twice on Sunday.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Autograph. I know what I look like - scary! I usually take my own photos of musicians with a real camera, not a phone. I have had plenty of opportunities to have my photo taken with presidents, astronauts, musicians etc. and have passed pretty much all the time.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 05-23-2018, 08:32 AM

I never really understood the photo thing. I guess people who take photos don't understand the autograph thing either but to me, a photo isn't going to let people know you met a person any less than an autograph would.

Last edited by packs; 05-23-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:36 AM
Garth Guibord

Best of both worlds: get a selfie of yourself as the subject is signing an autograph. You get both, plus a little proof the auto is legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Scott Smith

....interesting post as my wife and I had a similar conversation a couple of weeks ago when we saw Springsteen on Broadway on her birthday. We opted not to stand for 3-4 hours for the chance to get a signature or photo pre-performance. She wanted birthday hug and/or selfie. I would have opted for a signature on a custom photo of some sort.

If I had a guaranteed opportunity to meet him I'd want both a photo and an autograph.

In your situation you'll have to gauge how receptive the celebrity is to either. If it's me and not an intrusion I'd go for both.

Have fun!!
Old 05-24-2018, 10:36 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I never really understood the photo thing. I guess people who take photos don't understand the autograph thing either but to me, a photo isn't going to let people know you met a person any less than an autograph would.
You mean because of photo-shopping? Because otherwise, unless it's a photo-bomb, you generally have to meet someone if you're standing next to them in a photograph.

Attached is one of my favorite photos: me and my girlfriend 'meeting' Mike Trout. I have conveniently blacked out all the other people we 'met' that day. The word blob 'proves' that he at least knew we existed. As an aside - although Trout's autographs are more valuable, I would much rather have this picture.

Scott <=== "Babe Ruth signed that autograph for me."

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:50 PM

Yes I'm aware of photography. What I meant was the motivating factor behind the photo: here's me meeting so and so. If you acquire a signature in person it's the same thing. But I'm not a photo guy and don't understand the selfie just the same as photo people probably have no need for an autograph.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:17 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
Best of both worlds: get a selfie of yourself as the subject is signing an autograph. You get both, plus a little proof the auto is legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.

Always good to get something of some sort of monetary value. Even if you don't intend to sell it yourself....you can't take it with you...

And in my case, no one would give a nickel for a picture of a celebrity with a goofy faced fat guy.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:01 PM

Don't they have mini-printers that can print right from your phone? Take the picture - print it out and have them sign it.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:12 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Autograph, no question.

I've actually heard that some celebs do not do selfies but will sign. They think of the photo as an inappropriate intrusion.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-27-2018, 07:07 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Autograph, no question.

I've actually heard that some celebs do not do selfies but will sign. They think of the photo as an inappropriate intrusion.
I think it may have a lot to do with the celebrity wanting to control their image as well. Often, selfies do not portray people in the most flattering light… Bad lighting… close up… The last thing some celebrities want floating around the Internet.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:32 PM
Manny
Banned

If I can't get the celebrity to write out an inscription with a sentence or two either as a personalization, quote, doodle, or funny saying along with the signature...

I'd rather have the picture.

Last edited by SetBuilder; 05-27-2018 at 08:34 PM.