NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-29-2018, 07:01 AM
Bry@n

I disagree with all of the "ample time to bid" arguments. I think a fraction of people put in high ceiling bids and wait to see them chipped away. Most of us bid in the OT, and often as late as we can stomach staying up. I know I watched a Wajo rppc I liked in the last auction go from about $5k to about $15k over the last 30-45 minutes before close this spring. Last night I couldnt get the site to load for almost all of the time between 815 pm CST and midnight CST when I gave up.

There may have been some strong prices but REA always brings lots of strong prices bc people send them great stuff and the fact that some stuff sold strong does not mean that everything played out as it would have if the system worked properly. If bidders could only get to the site for a fraction of the last 4-5 hours, there is no arguing that this snafu didn't cost REA a lot of bids because people got pissed and gave up, as people have admitted, or kept trying to bid but couldn't and eventually had to go to bed. Many aren't willing to keep calling in bids - and how are people supposed to know they have been out bid and need to call in another bid if they can't check the site to see the price? I am sure tons of bidders don't come here to talk about what is going on either. If you don't like that you got bid up you should be happy that things didn't work right because I think it is highly likely that it would have been worse had the site been working.

I feel for what Brian is going to have to go through this week, and I know Brian is a good guy, but last night was a disaster.

Last edited by Jobu; 10-29-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:02 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

The auction was a disaster but I was able to put in bids on all the cards I wanted although with difficulty and maddening frustration. That being said I think many people gave up as the ending was not a frenzy. So if you wanted the cards you could get them -- as long as you were willing to stay up unti 1:30 am on the east coast on a Sunday night. Not many can and my ass is dragging today. In addition, the continued extended closing cost ceiling bidders some money.

REA is my favorite auction house and in my mind the epitome of honesty and professiamlsim in our hobby. But last night was a disaster and they will have a hard time convincing people to consign big ticket items now. Some good faith gesture should occur as many people are pissed. In addition it's time to upgrade their bandwidth as this can't happen again.

Last edited by calvindog; 10-29-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:16 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I thought it had ended when I couldnt get the pages up. Outbid on every single item anyhow, so they wont miss my revenue

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-29-2018, 07:32 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default The Perfect Storm

Once a problem like this occurs, bidders and consignors both ramp up their efforts to access the auction site to try to bid or follow their consignments. The timing of the problem at the peak activity of a normal auction was critical.

The irony is that thousands of folks continually trying to access the site because of the problem no doubt compounded the problem and made it worse and incapable of being resolved in a reasonable amount of real time as the countdown clock ticked away.

Pick your storm, but if a hurricane is large enough and strong enough, everybody gets blown away and wet. The service provider, the auction house, the bidders and the consignors all must pick up the pieces and move on.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:32 AM
Seth

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=51659

Whoah. That's a very strong price.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:44 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Once a problem like this occurs, bidders and consignors both ramp up their efforts to access the auction site to try to bid or follow their consignments. The timing of the problem at the peak activity of a normal auction was critical.

The irony is that thousands of folks continually trying to access the site because of the problem no doubt compounded the problem and made it worse and incapable of being resolved in a reasonable amount of real time as the countdown clock ticked away.

Pick your storm, but if a hurricane is large enough and strong enough, everybody gets blown away and wet. The service provider, the auction house, the bidders and the consignors all must pick up the pieces and move on.
What?? Where is the humor in this post Frank ???
Old 10-29-2018, 07:49 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
All 20+ items I was interested in when for prices well above what I thought was fair market value. Not saying I wouldn't be a little miffed if I was a consignor, but I didn't see anyone running away with any steals.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:54 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Peter, I was neither an REA bidder or consignor last night, so I just went to eBay and overpaid for a couple of items there. Is that better?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:58 AM
Fred

I was underbidder on (3) lots. I knew my bid was topped on two of the items but when I checked the other item I was on top until after the auction ended. So what does that mean? Mo money for another auction.

I look at the REA track record and I see an anomaly like this as unusual and can be addressed as "shit happens".

Life without an REA catalog during the year would be just miserable. Admit it, we're all like 6 year old children when that catalog arrives.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:00 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
All 20+ items I was interested in when for prices well above what I thought was fair market value. Not saying I wouldn't be a little miffed if I was a consignor, but I didn't see anyone running away with any steals.
Aint that the truth. I'm going to guess that there may have been a little money left on the table but in the end it was another good night for REA consignors.

Last edited by Fred; 10-29-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
I feel bad for REA but once they had to bounce the servers they never should have considered closing tonight.
+1. Chris, I completely agree with you. I have the highest regard for REA/Brian and his crew, but as I see it, the only folks that should be happy with last night's debacle are those bidders who won lots because other bidders gave up trying to get in to bid.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbernard View Post
I love that card and was an under-bidder. It's a little bit outside my normal collection focus but I think it's a great looking card. There's not a lot of market comparisons for this card.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Fred

Regarding the N154 in the link for the previous post.... did they super-impose the head of the candidate on to the body of one of those female baseball players from the female baseball cards that were issued? I never really noticed that before...

Edited to add... yes, that was a strong price! I can't imagine the consignor is disappointed in that result.

Last edited by Fred; 10-29-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:27 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Regarding the N154 in the link for the previous post.... did they super-impose the head of the candidate on to the body of one of those female baseball players from the female baseball cards that were issued?
http://www1.coe.neu.edu/~dan/N48/go.html
matches the first one.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:30 AM
pete ullman

the hammer on this "numerically graded" strip was outrageous!

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=52265
Old 10-29-2018, 08:30 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
I love that card and was an under-bidder. It's a little bit outside my normal collection focus but I think it's a great looking card. There's not a lot of market comparisons for this card.
Here's some more: https://flickr.com/photos/31037508@N...57699801558315
Old 10-29-2018, 08:40 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
The 54 Mantle Stahl Meyer. My last bid was at 1137. My bid was high at midnight. Never got an outbid text. Would have gone several thousand higher. Had no idea auction was again extended. Oh well. Should I have used autobid- in retrospect yes...but I didnt know I was participating in a flawed system. Text alerts set up with HA. No worries, it happens.
Uhhhhh, I just got an Email from REA that I won this lot. ( Hence the no outbid text). It was clearly MY confusion this morning and not any sort of communication on REAs end
Old 10-29-2018, 08:40 AM

Default Trends?

There is soooooo much stuff on this auction that it’s hard for me to follow. What trends did everyone see? What went strong and what didn’t? I consigned some unopened boxes and my hockey/basketball did well but baseball a little softer than expected
Old 10-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkrum View Post
There is soooooo much stuff on this auction that it’s hard for me to follow. What trends did everyone see? What went strong and what didn’t? I consigned some unopened boxes and my hockey/basketball did well but baseball a little softer than expected
I bid on around 53 different items and won 3. I thought everything looked about right but that is just me. The issues affected me but not to the extent I won or lost anything because of them nor did i pay a higher price for the items I did win. I wouldn't want to be that hosting company today.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:51 AM

I have the most upmost respect for REA...but after all that went on last night and the fact that the issues here on the west coast where quite horrible i just walked away from my computer and just gave up on the auction after multiple hours of trying to bid. These issues ran for a good part of the afternoon. and to be honest i figure REA and the Consignor lost out on 5-10k in additional income.

The argument could be made that i should just put my top bid from the get go...but lets be honest that is not the way that I personally run auctions. So this is on me. But hind site....knowing that these issues effected people for more than just a few hours. They should extended the bidding by one full day.

I am sure if you tack on my bids in addition to all of the others REA lost out (PURE GUESS) to be really clear atleast 100-150k in additional income. But that is just a pure guess i am throwing a number out there...

But it happens...there will always be another auction but REA should change its policies where if there are major website issues that last longer than X they should allow for a full day extension. It only benefits them and the Consignor and ironically the bidders that really want the item.

Just my two cents right or wrong.

And did anyone see that 59 Aaron psa 8 for 900$ ~ something tells me someone either miss bid or the website was causing bidding issues
Old 10-29-2018, 09:05 AM

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=52427

Whoever got this one got a pretty good deal I think...
Old 10-29-2018, 09:11 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I bid on around 53 different items and won 3. I thought everything looked about right but that is just me. The issues affected me but not to the extent I won or lost anything because of them nor did i pay a higher price for the items I did win. I wouldn't want to be that hosting company today.
Leon, I don't understand how you can say the REA issues didn't affect you regarding the 3 items you won. Had some (many?) bidders not given up trying get into the auction to place additional bids, you might not have won any of the 3 lots.

My "white whale" in this auction was this Western Playground of Peckinpaugh, https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=52134 , which I wanted for my collection of 1924 Senators. I am shocked at what it sold for (I didn't win it), especially as a nice SGC 30 of another player sold for half of what Peckinpaugh sold for. I assume two WP set collectors badly needed the Peckinpaugh card.

Speaking of cards that went strong, how about this PC: https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=51979 I realize there are some hard-core T210 collectors, but "holy moly, that's a lot of moolah."
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Thanks for sharing, very nice set.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:24 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I definitely wouldn't want to be the hosting company either, but it is impossible for anyone to say exactly how much the outages cost in bids. Like most years, I didn't see many bargains. I was quite shocked by the Tango Eggs Evers. I understand it is the only one known, but $11k?!?

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 10-29-2018, 09:25 AM
Fred

Holy cow, I think they did super-impose the presidential candidates heads on the bodies of women for the N84 series.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:39 AM

Not sure the consigners always lost money. I was high bidder on a lot at 12. Then got outbid twice, but got in another bid and was leading at 12:30. Then got outbid again. I put in one final bid at 12:45, which held up. So there were eight bids on the item after 12...
Old 10-29-2018, 09:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I can say it because I lived it. None of my won items were bumped for the last few hours and I won all 3, a few below my up to bids.

ps...now that I think about it maybe there was one lot bumped once but not to my high autobid, after the issues started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Leon, I don't understand how you can say the REA issues didn't affect you regarding the 3 items you won. Had some (many?) bidders not given up trying get into the auction to place additional bids, you might not have won any of the 3 lots.

My "white whale" in this auction was this Western Playground of Peckinpaugh, https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=52134 , which I wanted for my collection of 1924 Senators. I am shocked at what it sold for (I didn't win it), especially as a nice SGC 30 of another player sold for half of what Peckinpaugh sold for. I assume two WP set collectors badly needed the Peckinpaugh card.

Speaking of cards that went strong, how about this PC: https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=51979 I realize there are some hard-core T210 collectors, but "holy moly, that's a lot of moolah."

Last edited by Leon; 10-29-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-29-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Val--It was a breathtaking final hammer for the postcard of the seven-year old son of Goldsboro's manager. Ironically, as the back attests, the card originally came from Fred Stoehr's estate. Stoehr played for a short time with the 1910 Goldsboro Giants. Despite my early bidding, i didn't with the card!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Brian Macdonald

I'm not a tech guy, but should a hosting company have a website that looks like it belongs in 1995?

http://www.createauction.com/features_hosting.html
Old 10-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Dave Wilson

I bid early on this postcard too but I never imagined it would sell for that final price. Amazing! Great story on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peich View Post
Val--It was a breathtaking final hammer for the postcard of the seven-year old son of Goldsboro's manager. Ironically, as the back attests, the card originally came from Fred Stoehr's estate. Stoehr played for a short time with the 1910 Goldsboro Giants. Despite my early bidding, i didn't with the card!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10-29-2018, 11:15 AM
Bry@n

Yeah, but for people who were frozen out of the site for 3+ hours and then quit, there could have been more bids that were never placed. Or, maybe not.

Quote:
I can say it because I lived it. None of my won items were bumped for the last few hours and I won all 3, a few below my up to bids.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Anything is possible. There is also such thing as a phone. I started collecting late compared to many on our forum but in 1996 I don't think there were tons of internet auctions yet. Most I participated in (maybe all of them) I had to call in (or write in, which I didn't do) bids. If there was something I couldn't live without last night then I would have picked up the phone. I understand not everyone will do that. Advantage- Old fogey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Yeah, but for people who were frozen out of the site for 3+ hours and then quit, there could have been more bids that were never placed. Or, maybe not.

Last edited by Leon; 10-29-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:22 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Anything is possible. There is also such thing as a phone. I started collecting late compared to many on our forum but in 1996 I don't think there were tons of internet auctions yet. Most I participated in (maybe all of them) I had to call in (or write in, which I didn't do) bids.

Me too, Leon....those were the days...we are so very spoiled these days.

These young whipper-snappers have no idea how hard we had it.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Brian is not stupid. He knows that the disaster of last night's auction could have a profound effect on his company. This isn't Bill Mastro who was all about fancy orange packing tape and behind the scenes fraud. I have no doubt that he will get this problem fixed in time for the next auction. Again, REA is and has been the most honest auction house in existence since I've been collecting and I have total faith in them as a bidder.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:37 AM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default The best in the biz

Quote:
Brian is not stupid. He knows that the disaster of last night's auction could have a profound effect on his company. This isn't Bill Mastro who was all about fancy orange packing tape and behind the scenes fraud. I have no doubt that he will get this problem fixed in time for the next auction. Again, REA is and has been the most honest auction house in existence since I've been collecting and I have total faith in them as a bidder.
I totally agree. I've been doing auctions for 25 years and REA has and always will be the best in the biz.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Bry@n

Agreed on the phone part, for sure. But for someone who has a bunch of bids in and can't afford to win them all, that guy has no idea which lots he is winning without a website to check. So, if you can't afford a bunch of high ceiling bids, then the only way to bid last night would have been to keep waiting up and hoping the site eventually worked (which many cannot do) OR to spend the whole night on the phone asking for updates on your bids so that you could go an increment or two on the items that the status of your other bids told you you could still afford. I can't imagine there were a whole lot of people that wanted to do that for anything but a must have item, and that is where I think the money was lost on this one.

I should add - I don't have any issues with REA's integrity or honesty, this is just a shitty situation that they are doing their best to fix.

Quote:
Anything is possible. There is also such thing as a phone. I started collecting late compared to many on our forum but in 1996 I don't think there were tons of internet auctions yet. Most I participated in (maybe all of them) I had to call in (or write in, which I didn't do) bids. If there was something I couldn't live without last night then I would have picked up the phone. I understand not everyone will do that. Advantage- Old fogey.

Last edited by Jobu; 10-29-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:58 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Agreed on the phone part, for sure. But for someone who has a bunch of bids in and can't afford to win them all, that guy has no idea which lots he is winning without a website to check. So, if you can't afford a bunch of high ceiling bids, then the only way to bid last night would have been to keep waiting up and hoping the site eventually worked (which many cannot do) OR to spend the whole night on the phone asking for updates on your bids so that you could go an increment or two on the items that the status of your other bids told you you could still afford. I can't imagine there were a whole lot of people that wanted to do that for anything but a must have item, and that is where I think the money was lost on this one.

I should add - I don't have any issues with REA's integrity or honesty, this is just a shitty situation that they are doing their best to fix.
Agree completely. There is not even a question that consigners lost money last night due to the site not working. People simply went to sleep and gave up on an early Monday morning. To say otherwise is to defy reality.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

In looking at REA's "Recent Bids" link this morning, I'm shocked at all the bids that were entered during the final 1 1/2 hours. I was completely locked out during that entire period, and ultimately gave up.

So did the internet work for some, but not others? Or were all of those bids during the last hour entered by phone? Very frustrating, but I realize there was no clear-cut "best solution" for REA. I was just surprised it ended at a time when the site was still completely frozen. Knowing REA, I bet the next auction runs like a charm and that this was a one-time occurrence. But I'd also bet that more people will utilize ceiling bids next time around!

Last edited by perezfan; 10-29-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:13 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
But I'd also bet that more people will utilize ceiling bids next time around!
Doubt it; no matter how "Honest" or "protected" or whatever the bidding software claims the ceiling bid is, collectors are trained to distrust claims of auctionhouses after years and years of rampant shill bidding from many sites, eBay mostly, but also auctionhouses who allow it in their Terms of Service.
Most collectors who are told "the bids are encrypted and perfectly safe" will shrug their shoulders, and ignore it. Because someone out there wrote the code, and may have access.
The company is trying to make lemonades by offering free shipping to the buyers. I was more of an interested observer last night, but if I was a "bid at the end" kind of guy, this wouldn't make me place more early bids just waiting for others to keep bidding me up.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:15 PM

to be Clear I love REA.... it is my favorite AH....by leaps and bounds... hiccups happen....just need to have backup plans for the future.

:-)
Old 10-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Justin

High ceiling bids are fine if you're only interested in a couple items, but I had bids on 100+ lots. I can't afford to place high ceiling bids and win too many items. Sometimes focus changes during extended bidding. I went to bed when I thought double overtime had ended and I didn't receive an outbid notice. I was bummed this morning to learn that I got outbid after 1:15am.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 10-29-2018, 01:10 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:

Val,

A SGC 10 of Peckinpaugh, I assume the same card, sold in 2007 for $4650.99. So the price seemed to me to show lack of maturity on the investment, given 11 years have passed.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 10-29-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
In looking at REA's "Recent Bids" link this morning, I'm shocked at all the bids that were entered during the final 1 1/2 hours. I was completely locked out during that entire period, and ultimately gave up.

So did the internet work for some, but not others? Or were all of those bids during the last hour entered by phone? Very frustrating, but I realize there was no clear-cut "best solution" for REA. I was just surprised it ended at a time when the site was still completely frozen. Knowing REA, I bet the next auction runs like a charm and that this was a one-time occurrence. But I'd also bet that more people will utilize ceiling bids next time around!
I had intermittent access on and off during the last hour or so...I thought I placed a updated bid, but didn't know if it when through...because the site timed out... turned out I did when I got access again, but when I went to check on it again a minute later, it timed out again, turned out I got sniped for which I didn't get to see until it ended a short time later. I wanted to stay active until the end, but gave up too.

Ricky Y
Old 10-29-2018, 02:19 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
+1

As frustrating as it was for everyone, I can't imagine the sick to your stomach feeling that Brian must have had last night. I am not a computer/systems/IT guy at all, but working in finance, I've been on the phone with enraged clients who couldn't access their systems. When you are powerless to help, other than pushing/escalating with the "techies", it's one of the worse feelings in the world and you dread picking up the phone every time it rings.

So, kudos to Brian for doing his best to keep everyone informed. He posted on here multiple times, knowing that he was facing a pretty angry group of folks.

I'm sorry to anyone who missed out on a white whale, or anyone whose consignment didn't sell for as much as it should have.

Also bad luck in that some potential bidders were probably wrapped up in what turned out to be the World Series clincher.

At the end of the day, this hobby is still a great way to get a little respite from all of the more serious things going on in the world.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:17 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Val,

A SGC 10 of Peckinpaugh, I assume the same card, sold in 2007 for $4650.99. So the price seemed to me to show lack of maturity on the investment, given 11 years have passed.
Ed, thanks for letting me know this ineresting piece of info. I didn't search that far back for a comparable sale. In fact, back in 2007, I hadn't yet begun focusing on cards of all the 1924 Senators players - I was only into WaJo and Sam Rice cards at that time.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:28 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Ed, thanks for letting me know this ineresting piece of info. I didn't search that far back for a comparable sale. In fact, back in 2007, I hadn't yet begun focusing on cards of all the 1924 Senators players - I was only into WaJo and Sam Rice cards at that time.
Val,

No problem. For a bit I had delusions of getting that card for $1000 or so. Then reality hit.

Ed

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 10-29-2018, 04:11 PM

It was a little exasperating at times trying to figure what was going on with REA but with a little luck and some ceiling bids I was able to get most of the cards I had zeroed in on.
REA runs a class organization and it had to be frustrating with the technical glitches. One of the previous posters mentioned that it was tough trying to maneuver and navigate when you have many bids but can't afford to win all of them and thus you try to adjust your bidding based on which cards are showing activity and which ones you need to drop out of the bidding on. I think this is very true for most of us....
Old 10-29-2018, 05:23 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I fell asleep when the Site was down late. I figured an email was going to come about the bidding being extended until Monday night due to all of the issues. I was ahead on one and still in on another waiting to see if my one was going to hold, then go to the other.

Woke up and lost the one by 1 bid (I would have definitely hit it again) and the other went lower too, so they definitely missed some money. Not huge I'm sure, but wasn't happy when I woke up at 1 pm or so and it was closed.

Wish they would have extended until tonight.

Closing during chaos wasn't the best route in my eyes.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:17 PM
Ken McMillan

Default T205 collection of 31 AB backs

So excited as I got the T205 AB backs with 31 cards. Went higher than what I wanted to pay but may retail what I do not want. Cubbies are all upgrades and Kroh is new to me. Can’t wait to get them
Old 10-30-2018, 12:37 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
So excited as I got the T205 AB backs with 31 cards. Went higher than what I wanted to pay but may retail what I do not want. Cubbies are all upgrades and Kroh is new to me. Can’t wait to get them
Sorry I ran you up on that lot, Ken. I thought one more bid might be too much, depending on how they all grade out. Looks like a high grade group and I was mostly after the M. Brown 2/98 ex card. To me the auction ran fine as they left it open long enough for people to get their bids in. My "white whale" was the T214 Cree, but I never win my white whale, so I have a collection of SGC 86 Rabbit Maranvilles. I only win good cards when I'm plastered at like 4 AM. They are in my collection today.