NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Default Question about 1917 Zee-Nut player (Sullivan)

Posted By: Mr. Zee-Nut

A fellow Ebay member saw me bidding on some Zee-Nuts and shot me this question about a player in the 1917 set. I'm still a bit of a PCL novice, but I figured someone on the board might be able to help?

Thanks,
Adam

THE QUESTION:

"I'm guessing from your member ID that you're a fan of the Pacific Coast League, so I'm going to ask for your expertise. I once saw a listing in a card encyclopedia for a 1917 Zeenut for an Oakland Oaks player named Sullivan. I'm trying to find out whether that Sullivan was William Sullivan,the former major leaguer with the Sox. He was my great-grandfather, and I collect his memorabilia. Do you have any idea, or know how I can find out whether that was him?"

Old 10-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mark macrae

Not sure which checklist this individual is referring to. There is no Sullivan in the 1917 Zeenut Oaks subset. John "Jack" Sullivan was a catcher with the Vernon Tigers in 1917 & he is on a Zeenut in 1917. According to Doug McWilliams' research on the Oaks,an ongoing research project for nearly sixty years, the only two individuals named Sullivan who appeared during a regulation game for Oakland were Jim Sullivan, a catcher in 1907; and Joe Sullivan a pitcher in 1944. According to the Zeenut research by Don McPherson and Buck Barker, which entailed thousands of man hours of research lasting more than a decade, there were three players named Sullivan who appeared in the twenty eight year run of Zeenuts...Harry, John & Joe... none of which had major league experience. According to the Bauer PCL Encyclopedia, a fourteen year research project published in 2003, there were eleven players in the PCL from 1903-1957 named Sullivan. Ten are identified in full. None of those first names are William or Bill. The eleventh player appeared on the roster only in 1928 for Portland and never officially played in a regulation game. Also in checking the Major League BB Encyclopedia, there were two generations of Billy Sullivans that played for the Chicago White Sox. Although Billy Senior played in the majors until 1916, there is no evidence to suggest that he played in the Pacific Coast League after that time.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

That is the most complete answer to any question I have ever seen. Mark, you are a wonderful resource.

Old 10-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Behrod Hosseinzadeh

Mark,

Any idea on how I can get a hold of a copy of Bauer's encyclopedia? I'm coming up short searching on the internet.

Thanks,

Behrad