NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 05-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Default Need opinion if its authentic or not. thanks

Posted By: Matthew

I picked up this sign at local yard sale today. Wanted an opinion if any one thinks its original or not. I only paid 5$ so no big loss.If original possible value. thanks have great holiday weekendhttp://www.network54.com/Realm/tmp/1211647747.JPG

Old 05-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

From my limited knowledge of such things it definitely looks real to me. I would give a guess at value of $100-$250.....just a guess though. Nice pick up!!

Old 05-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Your best bet is to check the internet (esp. Ebay) for repro signs. If there aren't any, odds are no one made them.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 05-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matthew

Thanks Guys. Original or not looks pretty neat.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I don't believe modern tin reprints have embossments like yours.

As already noted, if a sports metal sign has been reprinted, there typically will be examples all over the internet. If you can't find a reprint, that's a good sign.

There was a big upfront cost (printer set up, design, etc) to make the modern lithograph reprint metal signs, which means the reprinter had to make lots of reprints to lower the cost per sign. Thus, if it an ad was reprinted, there will be loads of reprints around, and an eBay/internet search will help determine if the sign was ever reprinted.

Also, many of the metal signs are not reprints of vintage metal signs, but of non-metal signs or other types of advertisements. There's a Honus Wagner sign that is a reprint of a tobacco label. Further, the metal signs are often different than the original ad-- including in text, font, dimensions, etc. In a way, the signs are fantasy items and there isn't an exact original in existence.

A good thing for collectors is most of the modern metal signs of Ted Williams for Moxie, Joe Jackson H & B et come in a couple of standard sizes-- a search on eBay, the internet will reveal the sizes. These modern sizes almost always do not correspond to the original ad sizes-- so a simple size comparison can be key. The reprint sizes are typically unique to the reprints, and there was no original in that size. If a sign measures the same as the known reprints, that's more than likely because it's a reprint. For large posters, signs and even fine art prints, looking at the size can offer important information-- both knowing that reprints are often of different size than the originals, and that standard sizes of today (8x11 print, 3x2' dorm poster of Bob Marley) often weren't the standard sizes 100 years ago. Only considering at the dimensions, one might reasonably guess that a 8"x11" printed white paper picture of Ty Cobb is more likely to be the product of someone's home computer printer than a 1909 lithograph factory. I don't know, but a a playing-days 8x11" card, print, postcard or even photo of Ty Cobb may never have been made, as 8x11 was an atypical size back then. On the other hand, if most of us print out a computer picture of Ty Cobb on or computer printer, it will come out as 8"x"11".

Lastly, the big makers of the metal signs weren't being devious or trying to make fakes or forgeries. They marketed their products as modern items and most are still sold as modern.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

you maybe one of the lucky ones, many of these are reprints, just like the Ted Williams Moxie ads. The back is the key, looks good to me

Jimmy