NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2013, 12:35 PM

Default Do Topps buybacks add value to T-206's?

Do you value buybacks nore than the same card raw?

Why or why not?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:37 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I do not put a premium on them over a raw t206, but i imagine some do. Dave.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:41 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

I don't, the value of a topps buyback in my opinion is the card it contains. The fact that there may only be one or a few topps buybacks of a particular player don't change things in my mind, its the t206 that has all the value not the "gimmick" containing it. I wouldn't value a card more if it had an extravagant holder v. a pain holder, its the card itself with the value.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 05-25-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I do not put a premium on them over a raw t206, but i imagine some do. Dave.
Some = mostly sellers!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I don't do t206's but I do collect T205's, and I don't put any premium on a T205 buy back.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Jimi

Personally, I avoid the Topps buy backs.
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 05-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Jason Stricker

No, to me the buybacks never added any extra value. I bought around a half dozen or so when I was putting together my set. The first thing I did when they arrived was to cut them out of the plastic holders. I never paid a premium for the few I bought and routinely laughed at the asking prices on most.

Not saying it was a dumb idea. It just wasn't for me.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:37 PM

I think it was a great idea by Topps, probably got a few people interested. Not sure about now, but when they first came out, people were collecting them, so there was extra value added. I also know a lot have been freed since then, so if someone did start collection them now, there would probably be a premium. I bought one just to have, probably paid about $10 extra, but it is still a novelty to have and is now part of the set's history.

I think for someone with money to spare, it would be interesting(and expensive) to see how much of the set you could get in those holders before hitting a dead end
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 PM

I was able to get these for $100 that is why i ask.. I do not really collect them but i thought it was a fair deal..

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...354193&trxId=0
Old 05-25-2013, 07:32 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I think you did good, Marquard alone is probably worth a C note. Dave
Old 05-25-2013, 07:47 PM
Rich Klein

Default If I remember

When I was still at Beckett, we did an article on someone who "completed" the T-206 buyback set. My personal opinion is some of these buy backs, especially the HOFers are very scarce as buy backs and there mighe be a premium.

I think the poster who mentioned how these cards may have enticed some modern collectors into pre-war got it correct

Rich
Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 PM

Why are some of those cards "game used bat" cards? Were those also distributed with the frame around the card?

Also, are these tamper-proof, or can someone swap the real cards with reprints?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:37 PM

I don't. Most of the T206s came from the inventory of Kit Young and were readily available if you wanted to buy them from him years ago.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
When I was still at Beckett, we did an article on someone who "completed" the T-206 buyback set. My personal opinion is some of these buy backs, especially the HOFers are very scarce as buy backs and there mighe be a premium.

I think the poster who mentioned how these cards may have enticed some modern collectors into pre-war got it correct

Rich
Have to agree with this. Not my cup of tea but there are around 25 for sale in the pre-1942 category, at any given time, as BINs..

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...942%2529&rt=nc

Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Archive

bcookie

I don't give Topps Buybacks any added value, unless the T206 inside warrants more value. I have bought a few over the years and I pay according to the condition of the T206, not the frame Topps put it in.

In one instance, I was willing to pay a little more for a T206 Ewing Topps Buyback since the card had a Piedmont 350 back.

CW

The game-used cards were also framed, along with autographed versions of modern players.

To answer your second question, these cards are not tamper proof and a few years ago someone was tampering with them and trying to sell them on Ebay.

Jantz
Old 05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Robert A

I always ripped them out of there if I ended up with one.

Like Bob mentioned, Topps just bought a bunch of mostly commons from vintage dealers from around the country.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Default Value of T206 Buybacks

I might value these buybacks more than raw T206 cards if I could be pretty sure that they weren't altered, and that they would therefore be gradeable. Does anybody know if Topps had professional graders who could assure Topps that these cards were authentic and unaltered prior to being sealed in the buyback holders?
Old 12-27-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
I might value these buybacks more than raw T206 cards if I could be pretty sure that they weren't altered, and that they would therefore be gradeable. Does anybody know if Topps had professional graders who could assure Topps that these cards were authentic and unaltered prior to being sealed in the buyback holders?
I don't think Topps was concerned about determining whether a card was altered or not, but just that it was authentic, and they did so by having a reputable dealer (Kit Young was the only one that I recall being involved) procure the cards. There was a mention amongst many members on the predecessor to this current version of the board that in the months prior to the release of the issue that Kit was very obviously in the market to purchase a boatload of T206 cards.

So authentic...no issue. Altered...it seems I remember seeing some trimmed ones out there. The overwhelming majority of the cards just appear to be relatively decent, lower to middle condition examples.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 12-27-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:07 PM
Brendan Mullen

No. None.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:44 PM
Scott Russell

Never had a problem grading a topps T206. Bought a decent amount of them at a good price, tore them out of the stupid modern card thingy and graded them. Best I got was a PSA 4.5, but got grades on everything. Probably a couple dozen cards.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I know i posted to this thread over 3.5 years ago, just wanted to add that since that post i have still not bought any t205 buybacks. Just not appealing imo. Id prefer raw or graded. Order of preference on graded would be, SGC, BVG, PSA.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:43 PM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
Can't answer your question, but I've bought a few over the years and removed them from their modern Topps frame for grading. All that I sent in came back graded up to grades of 4/50.

Jantz
Old 12-28-2016, 06:10 AM
Rich Klein

This reminds me of a funny story from the following year (after the T206 set was released) relating to Cracker Jacks.

Kit Young (as previously mentioned) had purchased most of the T205 and T206 cards involved so when he started putting buy ads out for Cracker Jack, I jokingly posted on some message board (May have been this one or the old BMB) -- that I bet Topps is doing a Cracker Jack set next.

Funniest thing -- after I posted and we sent Clay Luraschi at Topps an email about this -- we had actually scooped Topps on their own product announcement and the next day they described their plans for a Cracker Jack set.

Yep --we made Topps change their own PR plans for the Cracker Jack set.

Good times

Regards
Rich
Old 12-28-2016, 11:00 AM
Danny Gabel

Default buyback checklist

Is there a checklist on T206 buyback because Im curious if they ever did Dummy Taylor.

Best,
Danny
Always buying Deaf Sports related, William Hoy, Luther Taylor, George Kihm, Grover Alexander, Dick Sipek, Curtis Pride, Carlton Molesworth, Lou Burdette, Gil McDougald, Ralph Lin Weber, Gallaudet University

Set
1909 E-91A (23/33)
1993 Topps Finest Refractor (109/199)
Old 12-28-2016, 03:21 PM
James

No added value. I try to pick them up cheap, cut them out of the Topps holder and have them graded. Most have graded in the 2-5 range.

https://sportscardalbum.com/u/gemmin...seball#!page=2