NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Jon Canfield

Default How to Remove Gold Paint Pen from a Glossy Photo

Question for the board...

I have an 8*10 glossy photograph that was signed in Gold paint marker. The photo is quite rare, so when one came up for sale, I jumped on it. Problem is, it was personalized... And not to me! Taking a risk, I decided to try to remove th personalization with acetone. It worked wonderfully, taking t all off without any damage to the photo. However, the original personalization left a bit "shadow effect" in places. In other words, some of the original personalization can be seen when tipping the photograph into the light - not as an imprint from depressing the marker, but as a bit of residue left over.

Has anyone had luck removing this before? If so, how? Looking straight on to the photo, you would never see the residue - but if its able to be removed, I'd like too.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Are you sure it's residue, and not that the glossy surface of the photo is etched from the paint pen?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
Are you sure it's residue, and not that the glossy surface of the photo is etched from the paint pen?
Lance-

Most def residue. Very light, but def residue.

- Jon
Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I haven't tried it yet, but the method & product mentioned here is said to be able to remove paint from the surface of photos without damaging them, and I imagine would therefore work for paint "residue" as well:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...3&postcount=17
Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Jon Canfield

Thx! I'll pick some up and let you know how it works.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 AM

Did you use lab grade anhydrous acetone or acetone from home depot?

even 1-3% water in the acetone means there is water and it could damage the photo and leave unnecessary blotches. Anhydrous is "lab" grade at ".5%" it's technically zero but it's so small they have to label it as having "some"

Last edited by Sean1125; 11-06-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Did you use lab grade anhydrous acetone or acetone from home depot?

even 1-3% water in the acetone means there is water and it could damage the photo and leave unnecessary blotches. Anhydrous is "lab" grade at ".5%" it's technically zero but it's so small they have to label it as having "some"
Def used the Home Depot generic brand. In terms of damage, there really was none, luckily. What I do see, however, hen tilting the photograph in the light, is remnants of the "T" in "To" and the letters "ad" which formed part of the name it was personalized to. In terms of other splotches or damage, there was none.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:29 PM

Try a dry erase marker. I saw a kid at the ballpark covering an autograph with a dry erase marker (blacking it out) and eraing it with his shirt. Removed sharpier perfectly.

He thought Nate Schierholtz was a different player. Or the other was around.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:31 PM

Instead of trying to remove the ink from the photo, try removing the photo from the ink. It's a Zen thing.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Thx! I'll pick some up and let you know how it works.
Stopped up an purchased the product, the cloths and gloves today from Adorama. Unfortunately the product worked about the same as acetone. So, didn't harm the photo at all, but didn't remove the residue. I brought the photo with me to Adorama, and they agreed it was some sort of residue (i.e., marker staining, so to speak). I'll update the board if I figure out something that works.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:48 PM
William Peebles

I've heard that you can use a dry erase marker to remove sharpie on photos. Something in the composition of the dry erase ink will break down the sharpie. Just cover it completely and wipe away. I've never tried this myself (no reason to) and I definitely wouldn't recommend it if the surface is at all cracked or broken in any way, but it may also work on paint pens. Might be worth a test.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 11-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

that is definitely how you get permanent marker off of a dry erase board...just mark over the permanent stuff with dry erase and then wipe off.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 PM

get a very soft white eraser from an art store, go slow and in circles
Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Anyone know if you can remove black sharpie from a gold mini helmet? Had a Heisman winner start writing his Heisman year to the right of his name and stopped mid-stroke of the first number and wrote it under his name instead. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
Anyone know if you can remove black sharpie from a gold mini helmet? Had a Heisman winner start writing his Heisman year to the right of his name and stopped mid-stroke of the first number and wrote it under his name instead. Thanks!
Nevermind! I just did some research, Paul Hornung writes his uniform # (5) to the right of his name! I thought he started to write 56 Heisman. My bad!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Paulanthony

Thumbs up Pec-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I haven't tried it yet, but the method & product mentioned here is said to be able to remove paint from the surface of photos without damaging them, and I imagine would therefore work for paint "residue" as well:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...3&postcount=17
I also have several 8x10 glossy photographs that are personally signed in Gold and Black Sharpie. I opened up the links you provided and read all the information. I decided To purchase Pec-12. Total cost was $18.95. The product was easy to use and the results can only be described as FANTASTIC. All the pictures maintained the High Gloss and do not show any visible signs of ink removal. I would suggest using an eye dropper when applying the product. I was able to control the flow of the liquid without fear of damaging the original signature. Thanks for the information.