NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-16-2019, 07:25 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default Any silver stackers on the board?

All these card doctor threads really have me depressed. I think I'm going to take a break from cards right now and focus more on my other passion...stacking silver. Any other silver stackers on the board? If so, how long have you been stacking? What are you currently stacking?

I've been stacking for about 6 years, but I bought my first silver (and gold) bullion back in 2002.

I mostly stack SilverTowne bars and junk silver. But I dabble in other areas too. Lately, I've been on a junk silver kick. With 13% eBay Bucks last week, I purchased 2 rolls of Kennedy halves one day and 2 rolls of Washington quarters the following day. I got $31.62 in eBay Bucks on the halves and $31.04 on the quarters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-DATES-...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-DATES-...72.m2749.l2649

I probably could have purchased them cheaper at my LCS, but over $60 in eBay Bucks made it a pretty sweet deal!

So, any other stackers on here? Let's get a conversation going? Maybe we can learn from each other? Or, if you're not a stacker but have questions, just ask. I'll try and help any way I can.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:22 PM

Used to, but the fake coins got too good.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:50 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Sorry to hear that. I'm not a numismatist, the only coins I have are my junk silver and some ASEs. Aren't there tests you can do on the coins? I test my silver bullion and scrap sterling that I pick up here and there.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:25 PM
Greg

I can totally relate. I get the itch to buy silver now and then, junk,uncirculated etc. Lately I've been picking up Barber Halves that have at least a partial Liberty still visible that I usually spend about $10.00 a piece on.
It's kind of nice having a crap load of silver stashed away in various locations

Good luck in your stacking!
Old 06-17-2019, 05:29 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Or, if you're not a stacker but have questions, just ask. I'll try and help any way I can.
I'm not a stacker, nor have I ever heard the term. Would you mind brief definitions of some of the other terms to help keep the ball rolling on the discussion?

Junk silver
Silver bullion
scrap sterling
silver towne bars

numismatist (that sounds like it may just be a word to add to my limited vocabulary )

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2019, 06:29 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Hello, Tony! Here are my thoughts. I hope others chime in too.

A numismatist is one that collects coins.

Numismatics is the study or collecting of coins. This term is often used for graded coins.

Junk silver refers to coins (dimes, quarters, halves and dollars) minted prior to 1965. Coins minted 1964 and earlier are made of 90% silver. “Junk silver” has no numismatic value. The only value is in its silver content, (but it still has face value too, but the silver value far exceeds the face value).

Semi-numismatics are coins that have both collector value and silver value. The American Silver Eagle is a $1 face value coin made by the US Mint annually, but it’s also 1 troy ounce of silver, so it has silver value as well.

Silver bullion is .999 silver in a given weight. It is not tied to any currency. You can get 1 ounce silver bars, 5 ounce silver bars, 10 ounce silver bars, etc. You can also buy in fractional amounts (grams), but that’s really not cost effective.

Scrap sterling is a term referring to sterling silver in scrap form. It could be broken jewelry, loose silver dinnerware (spoons, forks, etc.) really anything of sterling silver that has no other collector value and it’s only value is in the silver content. Sterling silver is .925 silver. You can usually pick this up at garage sales, resale shops, estate sales, etc. pretty cheap.

SilverTowne is the place that I buy most of my bars. You can buy as much or as little as you like. They offer fast shipping and they have a great reputation. There are other makers and places that you can buy from as well.

Silver stacking refers to the hoarding/collecting of silver. Stackers stack different ways. Some like numismatics, some like semi-numismatics, some like bullion (silver bars or rounds), some like scrap sterling silver, some like junk silver and some like a variety. Stackers also stack for different reasons. A lot are preppers thinking that in a SHTF type of event, silver will be a form a currency as fiat currency will be worthless. Some stack fearing the collapse of the dollar. I can see both of these reasons, after all you can’t just continue to print money over and over and over and expect that it’s not going to have an effect on the economy sooner or later. The dollar used to be backed by gold and silver (the gold standard), but now it’s just a promise that it’s worth what the government says it’s worth. But I stack as an investment. I think silver has great potential. It’s mined from the ground at a 9:1 ratio over gold. There is one ounce of gold mined for every 9 ounces of silver. However, the price difference is 90:1. So something has to give sooner or later. Either gold has to come down or silver has to go up. I’m betting that silver goes up.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I'm not a numismatist, the only coins I have are my junk silver and some ASEs. Aren't there tests you can do on the coins? I test my silver bullion and scrap sterling that I pick up here and there.
yes, but I've seen "circulated" fake Morgans that weigh right on and have the same thickness. They are coated in real silver, but are some sort of alloy underneath.

They are used to "cut" junk lots, like drug dealers add say lawn clippings to their marijuana.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
yes, but I've seen "circulated" fake Morgans that weigh right on and have the same thickness. They are coated in real silver, but are some sort of alloy underneath.

They are used to "cut" junk lots, like drug dealers add say lawn clippings to their marijuana.
There are a lot of educational videos on Youtube that show how to spot a fake Morgan. Here is one of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJrLM7BYYtE

There are other great videos too.

I'm not a numismatist nor a metallurgist, but the easiest way to spot a fake Morgan is by the size/weight. That just absolutely, positively can not be faked. No way.

Silver doesn't weigh the same as copper, zinc or whatever. So, if you weigh a real Morgan and a fake Morgan and they both weigh the same, then one of them has to be different in size/thickness. Likewise, if you have a real Morgan and a fake Morgan and they're the same size/thickness, they would have to have a different weight.

If I were buying a junk lot and there were Morgans mixed in, I would at least test a few right then and there before completing the purchase. If you're making an online purchase, then stick with one of the reputable dealers - Modern Coin Mart, APMEX, SilverTowne, etc. These guys have built a great reputation and aren't going to ruin that with a few fake junk silver Morgans.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Here is a great video how to spot fake silver bullion...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rjJmGGkNPU

These aren't baseball cards that can be altered in many different ways - trimmed, re-colored, rebuilt corners, soaked in chemicals, etc.

We're taking silver bullion and coins. They're either silver or they're not.

If you're interested in an acid test kit, here's a good one for starters.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Test...72.m2749.l2649
Old 06-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Ben North

I do have a few questions.

Why would anyone save silver for when the economy completely collapses?

Seriously why would silver have any value, because some people hoarded it?

If silver is being mined at 9 times the rate of gold what is it being used for? There is already so much gold that has been mined that if any small country was to sell all their gold. It would make it almost worthless world wide.

Is the market only hanging on now because the hoarders are supporting it?
Old 06-17-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post

Because that's what the guys on a message board say.
Of course they don't mention if the refineries will produce fuel for silver or be taken over by the feds, cartels or whatever.

Quote:

If silver is being mined at 9 times the rate of gold what is it being used for? There is already so much gold that has been mined that if any small country was to sell all their gold. It would make it almost worthless world wide.

No, the federal government is holding the price of silver down so we think "money" is currency and we keep our fiat bills. This keeps the lower and middle classes in check and they can simply print more and more paper currency. HOUSE OF CARDS WILL FALL!!!

Geeze, inform yourself already.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:05 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:

Good questions, Ben. I can answer a few, but only speculate on others.

Quote:
Probably a question better addressed by a prepper, but my guess is that people would still have to buy things and silver would be a way to barter if the dollar became useless and nobody wanted it. Many years ago, other countries wanted the American dollar. Now days, they're trying to get rid of it. Why? Silver and gold have been currencies for thousands of years. In fact, in 15 different languages the word silver and money are the same word. Again, why?

Quote:
Same answer as above but, if that were the case, I'm sure other precious metals would have the same kind of purchasing power.

Quote:
There are many industrial uses for silver. Here is an article that describes some.

https://www.learcapital.com/news-blo...es-for-silver/

Quote:
No. Only a small amount of silver is made available to the public. I read the numbers once, but I don't remember off hand. I want to say it was like 10-20%, but I may be off on that. I'll try and look it up though. But most of it is used for industrial purposes.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:23 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I found this article online. I only skimmed over it, but it looks like 28% of the annual silver supply is used for investment.

https://www.jmbullion.com/investing-...bullion-today/

Keep in mind though, that some of that isn't held by stackers. The IRS will let you have a self-directed IRA backed by precious metals. The tax laws are complicated for that and I don't participate, but I do know that one of the requirements is that you cannot physically hold the metals. It has to be held by private 3rd party storage companies.

For me, I want silver that I can actually hold, that I possess, not in some vault (unless it's a bank safe deposit box). I don't want a certificate, a silver EFT or anything else that shows I own it on paper. I want it in my possession.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:00 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Today's history lesson

In 1933, just one month after his inauguration, FDR signed Executive Order 6102 which required Americans to surrender their gold to the US Government. Most did, some didn't. Many people refer to this as gold confiscation, but really they compensated folks at $20.67 per troy ounce. Immediately after the EO 6102 The Gold Confiscation Act, err, I mean the surrender period, came the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 where the government raised the price of gold to $35 per troy ounce, basically screwing everybody out of $14.33 per troy ounce. That isn't much today, but it was a lot back then right after the Great Depression. Ever wonder where the gold in Fort Knox came from? That's it. It also made it illegal for citizens to own gold (other than jewelry). Wow! Don't believe me, look it up for yourself. Gold ownership remained illegal until 1974 when Gerald Ford signed legislation to repeal HO 6102.

If the government confiscated private citizen's gold once and made gold ownership illegal, what's to say they couldn't do it again? Or silver too, or any other precious metal? If anybody thinks that couldn't happen in our country today, they are sadly disillusioned. That's another reason I stack silver.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Very interesting video for industrial uses...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4tCOb24fuiE
Old 06-17-2019, 11:28 AM
Al Wright

I'm strictly gold, bullion value only, no numismatics. While I keep about 100 ozs of silver, again strictly US Eagles for bullion purposes, the storage demands of silver as compared to gold are enormous. If any reading this thread want to pick up some info on the topic I would recommend a site: 321gold.com. They have a trove of good articles to read from many different perspectives. Just my personal opinion, buy anyone with the ability to acquire some metal should seriously consider it. It is and has always been a safe haven in times of economic and social uncertainty. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:15 PM
Barry Sloate

David- I like the idea of having precious metals- I'm probably more of a gold bug than a silver one- but I'm surprised that they've been trading in such a very narrow range for so long. Remember when silver would shoot up to $40-50 an ounce? Now I can't recall when it has traded outside $13-15 an ounce. There doesn't seem a whole lot of interest in gold or silver these days.

I've thought about putting away some precious metals but I don't know if there is any money to be made. I recently started collecting currency, and I have some nice gold and silver certificates, but they are of course only symbolic. You can't get silver or gold on demand any more.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:19 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
I'm strictly gold, bullion value only, no numismatics. While I keep about 100 ozs of silver, again strictly US Eagles for bullion purposes, the storage demands of silver as compared to gold are enormous. If any reading this thread want to pick up some info on the topic I would recommend a site: 321gold.com. They have a trove of good articles to read from many different perspectives. Just my personal opinion, buy anyone with the ability to acquire some metal should seriously consider it. It is and has always been a safe haven in times of economic and social uncertainty. Just my 2 cents.
Very cool. We don't have to limit the discussion to just silver. We can talk gold too (or any other metal). I would love to hear what you stack and your reason(s) for stacking?
Old 06-17-2019, 01:27 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
David- I like the idea of having precious metals- I'm probably more of a gold bug than a silver one- but I'm surprised that they've been trading in such a very narrow range for so long. Remember when silver would shoot up to $40-50 an ounce? Now I can't recall when it has traded outside $13-15 an ounce. There doesn't seem a whole lot of interest in gold or silver these days.

I've thought about putting away some precious metals but I don't know if there is any money to be made. I recently started collecting currency, and I have some nice gold and silver certificates, but they are of course only symbolic. You can't get silver or gold on demand any more.
I'm certainly no one to give financial advice, but I believe everyone should own some metals. For me, it's silver because I look at the potential. However, the first metals I ever purchased was gold, but that was back in 2002 and I think I was paying like $380 an ounce at the time IIRC.

Right now, I just like to upside to silver. Both had highs in 2011 - gold $1917.90 per ounce, silver $49.82 and ounce (within like a dollar of its all time high). Today, gold is $1342.80 per ounce or 70% of its 2011 high, but silver is only $14.82 per ounce or 30% of its 2011 high. I would have to study the history of the gold to silver ratio In terms of price, but as of today it's a little over 90:1. I do know at one point in the late 1700s (I believe) it was like at a 15:1 ratio. But since it's being mined at a 9:1 ratio, then I just think it has tremendous potential. It stands to reason that either gold has to come down or silver has to go up. I'm betting on the silver side.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Peter Spaeth

Now David may freak out because they're slabbed, but I think the two coins designed by St. Gaudens are true works of art.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1924 $20 St. Gaudens.jpg (76.6 KB, 455 views)
File Type: jpg 1932 $10 indian.jpg (68.5 KB, 455 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:54 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Beautiful coins, Peter. I actually like slabbed coins. I don't collect them, but I do like them.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:58 PM
Al Wright

The gold/silver price ratio is an interesting phenomenon. Traditional metal people will point out the the long term ratio was 16 units of silver would roughly average 1 unit of gold. That has gone out the window for some time now. Again, a rough comparison: when I was a kid and borrowing dad's car for a cruise around town gasoline was about .35 cents a gallon. That's when the quarter was silver. Hence, a 1/4 ounce of silver got you the gallon of gas. Today, that same gallon of gas will cost "approximately" the equivalent of a 1/4 ounce of silver - not exactly of course. The other old story is that an ounce of gold should buy a good men's suit. Historically it does. What's changed? The key is that we are denominating these commodities (like all others) in US $'s, and, without getting in any way political, the bi-partisan crew of goofballs running the show cannot stop debasing the currency (this is a world wide problem).

David:
You asked why I "stack" gold. It is my opinion, based on my investigation and probably as much on my personality, that every paper currency in the history of the planet has failed, eventually. I do no see ours as being a candidate for exceptionalism. If the wheels come off this current state of living arrangements the bad stuff is going to go right through the biggest exhaust fan ever. We need fiat currency to conduct our day to day affairs, but saving in it reminds me of saddling up to a crooked three card monte game. Not for me.
We skated on very thin ice 10 years ago or so - next time, and it's coming, who knows. I mentioned the 321gold.com website in my original comment, and I think you would be interested in another site I take a look at sometimes:
coloradogold.com. They are metal sellers, but I would recommend you click on the "Don's Column" icon. He's the retired owner of the site and he writes a column once or twice a week. He's old school and a character, but having read some of your views on things through the years I'm pretty sure you're going to like where he's coming from.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:00 PM
Barry Sloate

Teddy Roosevelt was very interested in making sure American coins were works of art, so he commissioned Augustus St. Gaudens, who at the time was one of the finest sculptors in the world, to redesign the gold coins.

David- I agree silver has the potential to increase in value, but we just haven't seen it happen in a very long time. But I can't predict the future, so who knows. I like bags of old silver coins over silver bars, since I am a coin collector.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Tony Ooten

if paper money fails, how will the stackers go about using the metals to trade for goods and services?
Old 06-17-2019, 03:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
if paper money fails, how will the stackers go about using the metals to trade for goods and services?
That is the part I don't get at all. There is no way I would trade food or water for some worthless metal.

Thanks for the info everyone. I knew silver took a huge hit when they stopped using it in film. I didn't know if they had found a new use for it. Yes it has been a long time since I knew anything current on precious metals.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Al Wright

As far as how would precious metals be used to acquire anything if a paper currency fails (and lets not restrict ourselves to the US $ here) the concept is that before central governments thought up the idea of paper currency precious metals (and other commodities) have been recognized as a "store of value" throughout history, and around the world. Look to Weimar Germany with it's astronomical inflation rate in the post WW1 era, when entire city blocks changed hands for a few pieces of gold. I would never try to cheerlead anyone into doing something with their resources that they are not inclined to do, but the idea that gold/silver/etc are "worthless" is belied by several thousand years of human history. They have always carried value.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:09 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
As far as how would precious metals be used to acquire anything if a paper currency fails (and lets not restrict ourselves to the US $ here) the concept is that before central governments thought up the idea of paper currency precious metals (and other commodities) have been recognized as a "store of value" throughout history, and around the world. Look to Weimar Germany with it's astronomical inflation rate in the post WW1 era, when entire city blocks changed hands for a few pieces of gold. I would never try to cheerlead anyone into doing something with their resources that they are not inclined to do, but the idea that gold/silver/etc are "worthless" is belied by several thousand years of human history. They have always carried value.
Very true. If you research history, it's amazing what just a little gold purchased in time of need.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

When I started to buy a little gold, there was a sharp irreconcilable difference of opinion on whether it was best to buy bullion/modern coins with essentially no premium to the metal price or to buy the pre-1933 coins. Many of the opinions, oddly, seemed to align with what the authors were selling. But I never got to anything like a consensus. All that said, the pre-1933 $20 gold pieces even in nice grade sell for a relatively low premium to the melt price compared to the fractionals, and they are beautiful.

Some of the silver coins are beautiful too but of course there the value is nearly all numismatic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1921 $1 peace.jpg (79.0 KB, 452 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-17-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I’m hanging on to my sterling silverware, even though it is more difficult to stack than coins.

I haven’t found anyone who will grade my f**ks.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 06-17-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:55 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I’m hanging on to my sterling silverware, even though it is more difficult to stack than coins.

I haven’t found anyone who will grade my f**ks.
They say that centuries ago the rich were less likely to get the plague because of the silverware that they used. I guess there are healing properties in silver? As a doctor, have you ever heard that?

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-18-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

[QUOTE=vintagetoppsguy;1890023]
Quote:

I haven’t found anyone who will grade my f**ks.[/QUOTE

They say that centuries ago the rich were less likely to get the plague because of the silverware that they used. I guess there are healing properties in silver? As a doctor, have you ever heard that?
Never heard that. Rats are implicated in the plague. I guess if you killed your rats with silver forks, the dinnerware could be a factor, but I would dispose of the fork along with the rat in that event. Perhaps the rich just had better mousetraps.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:40 AM
Banned

volvos are among the safest cars on the road.

volvos require premium unleaded gas.

buy premium unleaded gas and you will be less likely to be hurt in an accident.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:01 AM

Silver removes various contaminants in drinking water. Just by placing a 90% silver coin in a large container of water it will "purify" it to some degree.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:48 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
Because that's what the guys on a message board say.
Of course they don't mention if the refineries will produce fuel for silver or be taken over by the feds, cartels or whatever.

No, the federal government is holding the price of silver down so we think "money" is currency and we keep our fiat bills. This keeps the lower and middle classes in check and they can simply print more and more paper currency. HOUSE OF CARDS WILL FALL!!!

Geeze, inform yourself already.
Geeezzz ….

Shiny side out! SHINY. SIDE. OUT.

Last edited by steve B; 06-18-2019 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Silver removes various contaminants in drinking water. Just by placing a 90% silver coin in a large container of water it will "purify" it to some degree.
Yup.

https://www.discoveryworld.us/scienc...ns-antibiotic/
Old 06-18-2019, 04:45 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

You can inhale colloidal silver in a nebulizer to get it silver into your bloodstream which may have a therapeutic benefit in treating the bubonic plague. The hooker is that you have to have been doing this for several months before contracting the disease.

I guess if everyone starts snorting silver prophylactically (sorry for a haughty term, Brian), demand will rise and supply will diminish, resulting in a rise in the price of silver.

I am not recommending this however.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You can inhale colloidal silver in a nebulizer to get it silver into your bloodstream which may have a therapeutic benefit in treating the bubonic plague. The hooker is that you have to have been doing this for several months before contracting the disease.

I guess if everyone starts snorting silver prophylactically (sorry for a haughty term, Brian), demand will rise and supply will diminish, resulting in a rise in the price of silver.

I am not recommending this however.
This is good news for David. There IS a way silver could go back up in price.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:50 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
This is good news for David. There IS a way silver could go back up in price.
Don't say that!

I need silver to stay low so I can stack more.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 AM

I remember reading a story about a family who has some kind of genetic mutation that caused their skin to turn blue. It had something to do with a defect caused by silver.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

What would be the investing benefit of have a large heavy box of 1 ounce silver pieces in my garage vs. just putting money into a reputable silver investment fund and seeing what happens?

(Putting aside of course the world collapse scenario, where total disorder breaks out, my family is starving to death, and I take one of my silver piece out of the safe and walk up to the last 7-11 open in New Jersey and trade it in for a loaf of bread and a gallon of water.)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:27 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
What would be the investing benefit of have a large heavy box of 1 ounce silver pieces in my garage vs. just putting money into a reputable silver investment fund and seeing what happens?
Not really an investing benefit, just a peace of mind benefit. For me, I would rather have something I can hold on to, open my safe and look at it anytime I want to, rather than having some ETF or certificate that says I own it. Let me relate it to cards. Would you rather have your cards in hand, or setting in PWCC's vault?

If you're not the type that needs to have it in hand (and there's certainly nothing wrong with that), then buy it and put it in a self-directed IRA. At least you would get the tax benefits.

On another note, one of the objections that I hear quite often is that it's too bulky, too hard to store. No, that's not really true.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-19-2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Mistyped
Old 06-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Not really an investing benefit, just a peace of mind benefit. For me, I would rather have something I can hold on to, open my safe and look at it anytime I want to, rather than having some EFT or certificate that says I own it. Let me relate it to cards. Would you rather have your cards in hand, or setting in PWCC's vault?

If you're not the type that needs to have it in hand (and there's certainly nothing wrong with that), then buy it and put it in a self-directed 401k. At least you would get the tax benefits.

On another note, one of the objections that I hear quite often is that it's too bulky, too hard to store. No, that's not really true.
Good answer; get your point. I wouldn't put a card in the PWCC vault if it was the last vault in America. Tangible is cool. I get that.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

What are your thoughts on platinum? See it on eBay on occasion and have often thought about. No idea what the history of it investing or collecting wise.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
What are your thoughts on platinum? See it on eBay on occasion and have often thought about. No idea what the history of it investing or collecting wise.
I can't give an opinion on platinum as I really don't know much about it. I've thought about picking up an ounce or two just to have, but I haven't done it yet. For me, the reason I chose silver is it's industrial uses. I'm not sure what platinum is used for, but I do know it does have some industrial uses, just never researched it.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Al Wright

Platinum has a much shorter history as a precious metal commodity than gold or silver. In my opinion, at it's current value it is grossly underpriced when compared to gold and silver if based on no other criteria than it's scarcity. Numbers indicate that it is mined at a quantity 15x or so less than gold. The only platinum national mint coin that I am aware of is the Canadian 1 oz Maple Leaf. A beautiful coin. There are quite a multitude of platinum bars offered by different producers. It just doesn't seem to have the cachet, or "safe haven" status among precious metal "stackers" that gold and silver possess. Speculation with it is of course possible without taking physical possession of it. Personally, I think it has a high probabilty of increasing in value and a very small downside risk. Do I own any? No.

Last edited by 58pinson; 06-19-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I've looked into it. Very volatile was my impression last time I did.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Platinum has a much shorter history as a precious metal commodity than gold or silver. In my opinion, at it's current value it is grossly underpriced when compared to gold and silver if based on no other criteria than it's scarcity. Numbers indicate that it is mined at a quantity 15x or so less than gold. The only platinum national mint coin that I am aware of is the Canadian 1 oz Maple Leaf. A beautiful coin. There are quite a multitude of platinum bars offered by different producers. It just doesn't seem to have the cachet, or "safe haven" status among precious metal "stackers" that gold and silver possess. Speculation with it is of course possible without taking physical possession of it. Personally, I think it has a high probabilty of increasing in value and a very small downside risk. Do I own any? No.
US Mint produces platinum coins.
https://www.apmex.com/category/31100...merican-eagles

Old 06-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Al Wright

Was not aware of that. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:28 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Guys, one more ? on this kind of investing/collecting if you can bear it. . . . .

In looking at titanium, there seems to be a real differential between a 1 ounce bar and say a 1 ounce US mint coin. If you want to dip a toe in this is, is there really any reason to buy some 2018 US Mint coin? Is there really a market for these recent coins, whether Canadian, US, S. African or anywhere else, above and beyond the metal itself?

[I realize of course that vintage coins like a St Gaudens gold piece merits a substantial premium over the price of the raw material.]

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-19-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Guys, one more ? on this kind of investing/collecting if you can bear it. . . . .

In looking at titanium, there seems to be a real differential between a 1 ounce bar and say a 1 ounce US mint coin. If you want to dip a toe in this is, is there really any reason to buy some 2018 US Mint coin? Is there really a market for these recent coins, whether Canadian, US, S. African or anywhere else, above and beyond the metal itself?

[I realize of course that vintage coins like a St Gaudens gold piece merits a substantial premium over the price of the raw material.]
There is some collectible value to the coins, and even more for the graded coins. Most experts I have read say just buy metal though.