NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Default A fortunate incident ...

Posted By: Halleygator 

A few weeks ago, I paid Leon a boatload for an Old Judge Delahanty that he picked up on Ebay for a song. He drives a hard bargain.

But as of today, there is a new "HIGHEST GRADED" Old Judge Delahanty in the SGC Pop Report ...

because SGC gave it an 84 !!

Thanks Leon!! I will post a scan when I get the card back next week. - Hal

Old 10-18-2003, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Wear it in good health......congrats...

Old 10-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: halleygator

[img][/img]

Old 10-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Hal--Have you given up on the PSA registry set? How come the SGC slabbing? Congrats on the grade!

Old 10-22-2003, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Is that pink?

Old 10-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: halleygator

I will send it to PSA for cross-over now.

It really isn't that pink ... just on my scanner.

It does have some pink tint to it.

The picture is MUCH clearer even than the scan as well.

Old 10-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

A grown-up "Manequin pis"

Old 10-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Administrator

C'mon tell them how good PSA is at grading our little beauties, Hal......another wonderful PSA story...and you guys love them....I just don't get it...oh well....you still got a great deal on the card and I am happy you got it.....you and I ( and a lot of others ) pay a lot for cards, and sometimes it is nice to get a real good buy.....if you ever want to sell it I am sure you will do well.....regards

Old 10-22-2003, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

it was rejected by PSA already as:

a) the bottom does look trimmed. Now I am not saying it is but at a glance that is probably why PSA probably rejected it. Am I warm?

b)Hal...aka Eddy Munster, who is going to beat me blue has a really cool set on th registry and surely would want this card on it! Thing is,if you ( Hal),send it in now,won't it be obvious that they saw it already recently being as it is obviously not a 1986 Fleer Barry Bonds card they see everyday?? By the way, this is a really great pice of history and for the love of cards including your Registered set your probably a great guy after all. Your set is terrific and you should put some scans on it so we can enjoy it all the more.
If you are going to send it in for crossover,you might wish to wait a year or so. The new emplyees won't recognize it that way and it will not raise as mainy eyebrows. Hey! You gave me unsolicited advice! enjoy your card!

Old 10-23-2003, 06:55 AM
Administrator

It was NOT rejected as trimmed......and when I had the card ( for about 3 seconds ) I louped, magnified, felt of, and smelled it.....it is NOT trimmed in my novice opinion either.....what a great card....

Old 10-23-2003, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mrc32

I looked for your set on the PSA set registry and couldn't spot it. How about a link?

Old 10-23-2003, 07:39 AM
Administrator

I'm lost. What is the PSA story? Was the card rejected by them before it was sent to SGC?

Old 10-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Leon - did you taste the card? The best way to validate that a card is un-trimmed is to run your tongue across all four borders - if you have a truly sensitive tongue you can spot minute discrepancies.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Yeah, THAT'S the ticket ... PSA rejected the card as having been "LICKED"!!

Actually, PSA called it a "Factory Miscut" and therefore would not slab it.

In other words, the borders are uneven (as happens with Old Judge cards), but the investigation showed that the borders had not been altered or trimmed.

Brian: Your advice is not too far off. I may have to have someone else submit the card for me.

Here is a link to my collection with scans of EVERY card:

www.LewisBaseballCards.com

And here is a picture of me for Brian's Eddy Munster collection (although Brian is wrong because AL LEWIS was Grandpa Munster, not Eddy, and I am Hal Lewis. I am the one seated in front with the silevr tie):

[img][/img]

Old 10-23-2003, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Hal's a picture demon, now that he's figured out this html stuff.

Old 10-23-2003, 10:03 AM
Administrator

I am obviously not TOO MUCH of a genius ... because I can NOT figure out how to make the following appear as an automatic link that people can just click on:

www.LewisBaseballCards.com

Can someone do it for me? Thanks!

Old 10-23-2003, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

http://www.lewisbaseballcards.com

Old 10-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob M (ramram)

Are the edges rounded on this pic or are the corners sharp? Any back damage?

Looks to me like the gleeful guy in the middle is busy grabbing the *ss of the guy on the right and doing the ole proctology check on the fella on the left.

Old 10-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Not being well versed on the nuances of grading could someone explain why a factory miscut would make a card ungradeable. The card has not been changed from its original state. It just was a mistake in production, to my way of thinking in the same class as a card that is cut off center. If the grading company believes that it detracts from the card they should reduce the grade accordingly, but they should still slab the card. Having said that I don't believe that PSA is alone in this type of goofiness. SGC has rejected some Old Judge for being factory cut off size(Trevor had this happen if I am not mistaken).

Old 10-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Hey Hal--You should buy my Keeler. Then you could put on your site that NO cards in the world are graded higher than your Keeler. .

Old 10-23-2003, 11:46 AM
Administrator

I couldn't agree more that they are still factory cards and should be GRADED as such....Both SGC and PSA have this problem....I had a D359 that I submitted, to SGC, at the National and it came back miscut. I asked why it wasn't holdered.....after a couple of very lame excuses they said send it back in and we might re-think it..With the way the grading companies grade there is no excuse for not grading a miscut card....if they truly believe it is not trimmed or altered....no excuse at all........I will let ya'll know when I get it back in the next few days if they "understood"....I also still believe, in my bias, that SGC knows how to grade vintage far better than PSA.....I almost got Mr.Delahanty back because of it....DANG IT !! later

Old 10-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Well first off, nice Delahanty Hal!!! I hate to say it but I told you so Leon. I knew the card would grade very high. Just to let everyone know I own the other two cards from the Delahanty ebay lot, Welch and Turner which are both in about the same condition. I had to go to dinner the night the auction ended so I missed out on the final bidding.

As for grading companies not grading factory Miscuts and Too Small to Holder, well I have had quit a bit of experience with SGC and their policy. It seems to be purely political. Sean told me that if they grade a card with a factory diagonal cut then what is the first thing the collecting world will think, It's trimmed of course!!!! Hang SGC!!!! I would have to agree with their way of thinking, but obviously there are a few people out there with a lot more influence, or is it luck, than I have. It is hard to tell (sometimes) when an item is a factory cut or period trimming. Most trim jobs are very easy to spot on N172's because they are usually a lot smoother in texture than a factory cut. I for one don't like the look of a factory Miscut. Take the Mack and Cushman in the Lipset auction, will they grade? I'm sure they will if the right people sent them in and complained enough. I will say that sometimes you don't have the luxury of buying a perfect card so you have to settle for a Miscut copy as I have many of times.

I will say that PSA is a joke when it comes to 19th century material!!! Just look at the PSA 1 Sunday on ebay right now. No Ad at the bottom!!! What does that tell you? I have never seen a obviously trimmed N172 in a SGC holder, but hay I haven't seen them all! Sorry Hal! Your collection is amazing but I'm just in a different collecting market than you are. I think PSA is loosing it. They do sell better than SGC but not that far off.

Hay if you would like to sell the Delahanty you know where to send it, no not Mastro, ME!!!!
Trevor

Old 10-23-2003, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

And after all that embarassment PSA F'ed up AGAIN on an OJ?

I am appalled.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian new nemesis of Hal "Prince" Lewis

Hal, it is miscut.................but what percentage of cards from the 19th century are? What! 50% maybe.

Go to the Registry and look what they did to my Kimball's N184 set!!!! half of them are graded "MC". so by the qualifiers PSA uses they should have graded the N-172 anyway!!!!!!! Right? WTF ?

Let's get Hal,a Registry participant to spend more money and send the same cards in ten times for misc. qualifiers and rejections.Then the price of the stock will go back up a little on the back end of the P/E.

lastly, Hal,you are an attorney, so why no comprehendo? I stated before you look like Eddy-grown up remember..........not grampa-mnus 50 years.( That old guy ran for mayor of New York I think a few years ago at like age 86. ) You look devious and like Eddy.

Oh,and the Kimball set is in "Misc sports",not baseball only. I have about half of it listed and the other halfminus 4 cards raw still.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:55 PM
Administrator

But Board Ambassodor leon has covered all this beofre on the 19th century issue.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

that you're a conneseur or art and an artist in your own right...the Delahanty is NOT pink; it is brown with very faint pink highlihts--and gorgeous.That's the REPRINT made from the card I'm talking about.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I personally have had a T207 with and angle cut top to bottom graded SGC 60. I believe a board member now owns it. And have had a T202 with the wonderful wavy factory cut rejected, but have seen many other T202's with the same wavy cut graded. Maybe I should have said something. I agree that if it is a factory cut slab it and grade it accordingly.

Lee

Old 10-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Administrator

...is that PSA doesn't have the skill in house to grade anything straight out of a cookie cutter, so they're afraid of making a mistake (and based on their past OJ slabbings, well they should be). Hal's Delahanty experience should be clue enough for vintage collectors to stay away from PSA...and if that's not enough, Dan's t206 "lost Magie" fiasco should be.

And I am not biased - I learned to stay away from PSA long ago, decision based simply on all the trimmed t206's they slabbed as "NM". I personally wouldn't even want a PSA employee holding one of my cards.

Old 10-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Administrator

and one in Lews.

Hey,Hal I left you the quiz question??

Figured you would enjoy it being as you are a Braves fan The answer was Tony Cloninger~