NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-04-2017, 04:35 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Default HOF Canvas Update

I'm not sure this will generate too much conversation but I wanted to document my journey to add HOFers to the these canvases I bought in the BST earlier this year (thanks Jason!).

Jason got the ball rolling by adding 33 autographs with inscriptions. One canvas is focused on those that got in before 2000 and the other 2000 or later.

I live relatively close to Cooperstown (outside Syracuse) and have made the pilgrimage to Induction Weekend every year since 1989. That weekend easily translates to my best opportunity to add guys. That's where I added 4 this past weekend.

Billy Williams - Fantastic guy that took time with my kids and niece and nephew to engage them in some lighthearted banter.

Andre Dawson - Second Cub on the day. Andre was a little more standoffish but he does have a great autograph.

Frank Robinson - Frank looks and sounds great for 81. His autograph was a little deliberate but he got the job done.

Greg Maddux - Greg's not big on signings as I understand it and it shows. He ain't cheap but he was nice enough but little chit chat. I saw him sign a Smoltz/Glavine/Maddux poster that was already signed by Smoltz and Glavine with "HOF 15" even though he went in the Hall in '14. Oops. The collector was freaking out. I'm not sure how the promoter rectified the situation but I definitely felt for the collector. How does Maddux not know what year he went in!

Last edited by bender07; 08-04-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Pretty cool! You might have to take out a second mortgage when Jeter and Mariano go in!
Old 08-04-2017, 06:07 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

No doubt. I'm trying to stick to guys that do public signings and will likely only get them if they're signing in Cooperstown. Based on those constraints, probably won't be getting those dudes!

Last edited by bender07; 08-04-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Andre Dawson, with his cannon of a right arm, writes with his left hand???!!! Holy moley is that mind boggling!!! Never knew that.

(Yes, I am well aware that in the old days lefties like Babe Ruth were 'forced' to use their right hands for writing by the nuns in Catholic school. The word 'sinister' is basically Latin for 'left-handed.')

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 08-04-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 PM

Default Canvas

I'm glad this project ended up in the hands of someone willing to add to it. The additions look awesome! I look forward to seeing the updates.

Jason
Old 08-05-2017, 10:59 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Andre Dawson, with his cannon of a right arm, writes with his left hand???!!! Holy moley is that mind boggling!!! Never knew that.

(Yes, I am well aware that in the old days lefties like Babe Ruth were 'forced' to use their right hands for writing by the nuns in Catholic school. The word 'sinister' is basically Latin for 'left-handed.')
Steve Carlton "Lefty" is also another right handed signer. Strange.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 07-28-2018, 05:48 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Got a couple more today in Cooperstown. Slow going but fun nonetheless.

I did see another guy with a similar project going. He must have had 100 HOFers (at least) with inscriptions on a poster. It was crazy. Was only missing a handful possible additions. Wild!

Schuerholtz asking where to sign...

Last edited by bender07; 07-28-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:14 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

It's great that you're getting photo documentation for this project. Even if you don't "need" it for resale purposes (it's not like you're ever going to sell it), it's wonderful to have and does add value to the finished product - coolness value, that is.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:41 AM

And Pete Rose watches the canvas slide on by.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:16 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

2019 updates.

I was only able to stay until about noon on Saturday so my choices were limited. One thing I’ve recognized that there’s no way I’m going to “complete” this in any way. Mo’s signing Monday for $500 (think $600 for this) which is just crazy to me. He can certainly charge what he wants but I ain’t payin! I’d prefer to focus on relatively cheap guys and those where I watched the entirety of their career.

It’s funny, not preoccupying myself with completeness has made this more fun.

So with that preamble I give you an example of both.

Sutter...

And Vladdy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-21-2019, 11:40 AM
Curt

Neat project. As a Dodgers collector primarily, I have seen many similar projects with Dodgers signatures, where someone will get as many former players to sign a sheet of paper, photo or poster. It can be a great way to grab a lot of signatures in one shot when they are for sale.

Those types of pieces have to be a labor of love though and whatever money spent must be reasonable to the person having it done. I don't blame you for passing on Rivera at $500-600. I don't have his autograph (missed the 96 Leaf Signature cards before they exploded) and never will at the prices I see for just about anything he has signed.

By having it done yourself, I'm sure it adds a much greater personal value. They are neat, but in the end, it amounts to a random selection of similar players and just about everything eventually will be heading back into the marketplace for a new owner to covet. Items like this need especially need the right person to want it.

I do like the look and completeness of multi-signed items, but usually only if the players are pictured. I much prefer single signatures and mostly on cards or as a 2nd choice, 8x10s whenever possible.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:48 PM
Jonathan Sterling

It is expensive a time consuming but getting in person Autographs is a load of fun especially if you have a family member or two to share it with. Great poster. I hope to go up next year for Jeter but not sure I will be paying up for one of his Auto's.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:34 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

First update in years.

Obviously there was no ceremony in 2020 and while I went to the induction “weekend” in September 2021, I didn’t add anyone.m since it was such a low turnout.

Boggs was really great and talkative.

Rickey was absolutely gracious and appreciative. He’s one of my all time favorites growing up.

Smoltz was nice enough.

Mariano was excellent and really gregarious.

All of them were super nice to my son who’s just starting his love for baseball. This was my 33rd straight HOF weekend and his first. He claims he’s going to surpass me.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:42 PM

Wow, Mark! How have you been?
It's been a while since I've seen you post.
Your HOF canvas is looking awesome & love your journey.
Be well!
Old 07-25-2022, 04:13 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Part 2 of the weekend.

For the first time, I went on Monday to get the current year enshrinees.

Chatted with Pedro about his ‘99 AS game performance. Nice guy.

Ortiz was incredibly nice and talkative with everyone.

Same story with Kaat, excellent guy.

I got Oliva at the end of his session and I think he was pretty beat. Nice guy.

Waiting for ‘23…

Old 07-25-2022, 04:23 PM
Curran Wilkinson

This is incredibly cool & fun to see the updates. Please continue to update every year. I’m quite jealous!
Old 07-28-2022, 08:16 AM
J@RR0D

Agreed, keep the updates coming! Fantastic project.
Old 07-23-2023, 06:09 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

2023 Update!

I’ve decided to focus on one of canvases that has guys that got in 2001 and up. I know I’ll never complete it (already missing Gwynn and Puckett) but gives me some focus.

I went without my son as he wasn’t feeling well so I missed some pics while talking to the guys.

Started the day with Jim Rice. Very engaging guy with the kids.

Next was Ted Simmons. Really unassuming and seemed genuinely nice.

Alan Trammel next up. Gave the old “we need to get Lou in HOF” line that he 100% agreed with. Nice softball for him.

Larussa was next but no pic. I’m a big A’s fan and I shared with him that his 80’s A’s teams started that love but on the negative side, it’s been 35 years of torment. He said he still thinks about that 1990 WS.

Torre was a late addition and someone I assumed I’d never get. He was pretty expensive but I still did it. Very nice too.

The one I was looking forward to was next. Unit. Again an unassuming guy and not very talkative. Not rude or anything. No pic. He’s my all time lefty so put him next to my all time righty (Pedro) on the canvas.

Last for Saturday was Baines. Marginal HOF’er but nice enough.

Couple more tomorrow…
Old 07-23-2023, 09:37 AM

Kinda cringey to have to pay to add Baines to so many real HOFers, but it of course fits in with the scope of the project thanks to his friends who voted him in.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:50 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Adding todays guys

Apparently Rolen has an up charge if he’s signing something with signatures already on it. Apparently it was on the drop-down but me and a many people today missed it. So I had to plunk down another $30. Pretty gross. To think he feel his autograph adds ANY value to this is preposterous. I couldn’t get $500 for this thing. It’s purely a labor of love.

McGriff was cool. I watched him in the 80’s when he was with the Syracuse Chiefs.

Fun as always. Until ‘24 for (I think) Wagner, Beltre and Helton.