NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Adam Phillips

Default Best Buys For 40.00 and Under

Living and raising a family on a public school teacher's salary leaves little money for collecting. Still, it's something I enjoy and with some patience I've found a few balls within my price range. For example, I'm about to purchase a Johnny Podres ball with inscription for 30.00. With that in mind, I was hoping some of you could make some suggestions about autographed baseballs for 40.00 and under. I know it's a tall order, so thanks in advance for taking the time and having some patience for a novice.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I would just look in the Autograph B/S/T section on this website, there are some great deals to be had there.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Adam Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
I would just look in the Autograph B/S/T section on this website, there are some great deals to be had there.
Thanks!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Steve Zarelli

If you are not stuck on baseballs specifically, you could collect many signed Hall of Fame Plaque postcards for $40 and under, including those from some players long deceased.

They are fun to collect, store easily in a binder and not too bad on the wallet.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Luke Lyon

There are a few HOFers (Doerr and Feller to name a couple) who signed a ton of autographs, and as a result are available for cheap. Just take some time with ebay to find out which guys are cheapest. If I didn't already have this picture of Feller (my favorite of him by far) signed, I would want one, and they are readily available at a low price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bob-Feller-s...item417fd718fc

disclaimer: not my item, and there are plenty of other sellers that have one for sale

Also, if I were to start an autograph collection from scratch, I wouldn't focus on just balls, or just 8x10s. When you get into collecting pre-war players, the autographs tend to be on smaller, oddball items like postcards, 3x5 index cards, programs, checks, etc. If you're ok with collecting smaller oddball items, you can find some good deals and build a fun, well-rounded collection.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:39 PM

If you're interested in current players Spring Training is a great time to pick up cheap baseballs. People are getting a ton of stuff signed during training and games so there's usually a nice influx of items that go cheaper because there's less supply and demand.

Similarly if you're interested in current players the off season is a great time to buy. People tend to curb their buying when baseball isn't fresh in their minds.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Adam Phillips

I'd like to thank all of those who responded. All of you have great ideas and I really appreciate your time and advice.
Adam
Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I would encourage you to send stuff in the mail to some of your favorite ball players. Podres signed for years for free and all it would have cost you was a stamp. Still lots of great players for very little. You can join sites like sportscollectors.net and similar that will provide addresses and rate of success or if the player charges they oftentimes list that as well. On top of that, checking the mail is like Christmas as you never quite know who responded. Take care, Jason
Old 05-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Adam Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I would encourage you to send stuff in the mail to some of your favorite ball players. Podres signed for years for free and all it would have cost you was a stamp. Still lots of great players for very little. You can join sites like sportscollectors.net and similar that will provide addresses and rate of success or if the player charges they oftentimes list that as well. On top of that, checking the mail is like Christmas as you never quite know who responded. Take care, Jason
Another great idea. Thanks, Jason.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

OOPS!!
Ken

Last edited by earlywynnfan; 05-07-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: shouldn't have posted
Old 05-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Your right Ken it doesnt belong there. It would open everyone else to advertise there own site on ebay/That is whey there is bst section.

Last edited by shelly; 05-07-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Adam Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I don't know if I'm breaking protocol here, but I sell almost every weekend over the summer on ebay, cheapie baseballs that I pick up in group lots, if you ever want to peruse my listings. I have the same handle there as here.

Ken
Thank you, Ken. I'll be sure to take a look. Also, my apologies if I posted in the wrong section.
-Adam