NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-02-2016, 06:31 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default August Pick-ups.

Note the PSA 2.5?
I have looked and looked and see no difference between it, front or back, from the 6's I also purchased from the same seller.
I got it on the cheap, and fully realize the saying now, "Buy the card, not the slab"

It is better centered than the 6's but it does have a tilt. Is that what makes it a 2.5 or is there likely something there I can't see?

Either way, pretty happy with these cards and what I paid for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52Topp's.jpg (81.8 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg 52TP's.jpg (77.1 KB, 554 views)
Old 08-02-2016, 07:31 PM

Tell me how this is a 5? I thought this was a steal. Won it tonight. (eBay scan).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 484AaronMVP5.jpg (77.2 KB, 544 views)
Old 08-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Ne@l K

Nice 52s!

Solid Hammer pickup, Ray!

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-02-2016, 08:22 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
Tell me how this is a 5? I thought this was a steal. Won it tonight. (eBay scan).
My 7 doesn't look as nice as that, and I bet I paid more for my copy too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52 Topps 003 (Large).jpg (45.6 KB, 545 views)
Old 08-03-2016, 08:35 AM

Default Wow That Aaron !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post

..if the back is off badly enough to rate a " PSA 7 OC " or "PSA 7 MC" but the original submission had that little box " no qualifiers" checked off , then presto you're a 5 instead of a 7 Q . Soooooo , the big question is : what's the reverse look like ? Anywhere near 90-10 ?

..gorgeous card ; congrats , you got a deal.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Mike

Picked up this Dan Dee Mantle

Old 08-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Great Mick, Mike!
Old 08-03-2016, 03:28 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It looked great in the pictures, so I picked up this card to add to my pile of high graded 1972 high numbers for trade, but in hand I can't for the life of me figure out why it has a 'ST' qualifier…

1972Tatum772PSA8ST.jpg

There are no visible stains whatsoever. The only thing I can see is when it is tilted in the light, there is a very small amount of wax residue on the front. Something that could be wiped away in less than a tenth of a second with some panty hose. Is that the "stain" they're referring to?? I always assumed 'ST' referred to a highly visible, darkened stain that was soaked into the card itself, not something nearly invisible that could easily be eliminated. Am I wrong? Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:39 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Yes, wax residue will get a ST qualifier. Nice grab.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canofcorn View Post
Picked up this Dan Dee Mantle

This, my friend, is a fantastic card. Major props. My brother told me about this card, if it was the one on eBay that recently sold.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
This, my friend, is a fantastic card. Major props. My brother told me about this card, if it was the one on eBay that recently sold.
Thanks! Yes I won it via auction late last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Great Mick, Mike!
Thank you Dan!

Last edited by Canofcorn; 08-03-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:21 PM
Ne@l K

that is one DanDee pickup!

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Bill Gregory

Fantastic cards, guys!

I don't get the Aaron being a PSA 5, either. Irv is right, that 5 looks nicer than his 7 (not to disparage his 7 at all; it's a nice card, too). I'm going to withhold ripping PSA mercilessly until I see the back of the card, but I really think PSA has gone off the deep end.

If I were a PSA grader, or exec, and I saw those two cards side to side, with the grades given, I'd be embarrassed. Hell, I'd be embarrassed that the first card we ever graded was a major F up, but that's just me. "Little" things like consistency, personal convictions/ethics are important to me.

And that Dan-dee Mick is gorgeous!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:42 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Fantastic cards, guys!

I don't get the Aaron being a PSA 5, either. Irv is right, that 5 looks nicer than his 7 (not to disparage his 7 at all; it's a nice card, too). I'm going to withhold ripping PSA mercilessly until I see the back of the card, but I really think PSA has gone off the deep end.

If I were a PSA grader, or exec, and I saw those two cards side to side, with the grades given, I'd be embarrassed. Hell, I'd be embarrassed that the first card we ever graded was a major F up, but that's just me. "Little" things like consistency, personal convictions/ethics are important to me.

And that Dan-dee Mick is gorgeous!
I hear what you are saying about PSA. I have similar thoughts, trust me, but in their defense, mine is an older slab and from what I have seen, PSA is a lot tougher than what they use to be.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

What was the first card they graded?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:34 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The first card graded was the Gretzky Wagner. Even though the card was trimmed, they still gave the card an 8. I recommend reading the book, The Card

Last edited by KCRfan1; 08-03-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:41 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Oh, I know all about the trimmed Wagner, but I thought they were in business a while before they graded that one.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Bill Gregory

I understand that ; that's why I said "if I were a PSA grader", I'd be embarrassed. Their inconsistency is awful. What they graded a 7 not real long ago is now less appealing than what they give a 5 now.

That is a black mark on them, if you ask me. Their wild inconsistency now makes cards with older slabs less valuable.

A little bit of variance is ok, but the difference between those two cards is staggering, and completely unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I hear what you are saying about PSA. I have similar thoughts, trust me, but in their defense, mine is an older slab and from what I have seen, PSA is a lot tougher than what they use to be.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:05 AM
Bill Gregory

Nope. Serial # 00000001

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Oh, I know all about the trimmed Wagner, but I thought they were in business a while before they graded that one.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:23 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Last edited by begsu1013; 08-22-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:18 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

There was some controversy over the Wagner back in the day, about whether it had been trimmed or not.

The owners of the card needed a way to " authenticate " it, and PSA was a fledging company that had just started up. PSA needed to make a " splash ", to get a name for themselves and what better way to do that than to grade the hottest card in the market.

For the owners , the card HAD to grade numerically. This would justify the price paid and help remove doubt about the credibility of the card.

For PSA, delivering a numerical grade to the card would be a positive for the hobby and THEMSELVES. People would be reluctant to submit cards for grading if the very first card graded, was deemed authentic or trimmed. Hence, negative news. PSA took off after the press coverage in the news and hobby industry after the very favorable grade the Wagner received.

This was a huge shot in the arm for a hobby that was on the decline.

Like it or not, this was great for the hobby and certainly PSA.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:13 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
..if the back is off badly enough to rate a " PSA 7 OC " or "PSA 7 MC" but the original submission had that little box " no qualifiers" checked off , then presto you're a 5 instead of a 7 Q . Soooooo , the big question is : what's the reverse look like ? Anywhere near 90-10 ?

..gorgeous card ; congrats , you got a deal.

Also 5's can have very hard to see wrinkles and starts of creases. Twist the card around in the light and see if you can find any of that. I have a '55 Bowman Kaline like that - corners look NM or better. That's not something that bothers me, a 5 is a 5...but I can see where it might bother some folks.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:16 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Nope. Serial # 00000001

Right in that it was the first graded card, but it's been re-holdered at least once. The 0's in the original slab had the slashes through them a la dot-matrix style. The slabs you still occasionally see like that are the oldest ones. My guess is it was probably re-holdered before Ken what's his name that owns the Diamondbacks bought it.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:19 PM
J0hn Collin$

Two August pickups for my "nicer Cubs" project...

-John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Luke Lyon

Only my 2nd post-war pickup since starting to collect again like 6 years back. Love this card. Can't see why it isn't a 6.5 or so, but don't care too much about the grade. Mr. Hutchinson is from Seattle like me, and we have a world renowned cancer research institute named after him. Bought this one on a whim from the BST at a nice price. Thanks Tom!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img236.jpg (77.1 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg img237.jpg (79.5 KB, 300 views)
Old 08-04-2016, 02:31 PM
Ne@l K

Very pleased with this one, as I am slowly rebuilding my once complete Aaron set. The bright spots on the two corners are from the card sleeve inside the slab

1955BowmanAaron.jpg

Old 08-04-2016, 02:34 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
Only my 2nd post-war pickup since starting to collect again like 6 years back. Love this card. Can't see why it isn't a 6.5 or so, but don't care too much about the grade. Mr. Hutchinson is from Seattle like me, and we have a world renowned cancer research institute named after him. Bought this one on a whim from the BST at a nice price. Thanks Tom!

Nice card. A 4.5 that looks like a 6 or better likely has some hidden wrinkle or other problem that comes out in grading under the black lights, but isn't readily noticeable otherwise. I agree with you, don't worry about the grade. I wonder how many cards in the 1980's that were honestly called NM or in that range later got stabbed as VG or something because of issues known only to the world of grading. I understand the purpose of grading, but cards like that are proof that it isn't the end-all, be-all I think. At the end of the day you can enjoy a card for it's presentation value and eye appeal over and above a technical grade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2016, 04:08 PM

Neal - Great looking Aaron. Solid 7. Great pose from an under loved issue.
Good luck with your Aaron set.
RayB
Old 08-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Very pleased with this one, as I am slowly rebuilding my once complete Aaron set. The bright spots on the two corners are from the card sleeve inside the slab

Attachment 240102
Great card, Neal!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Mike

Nice Hammerin' Hank! Great card Neal.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:31 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Since this guy seems to have become the de facto 'card of the month,' I'll add the one I just got to bring me a step closer to completing the set…

1961aaronmvp484.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:14 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I understand that ; that's why I said "if I were a PSA grader", I'd be embarrassed. Their inconsistency is awful. What they graded a 7 not real long ago is now less appealing than what they give a 5 now.

That is a black mark on them, if you ask me. Their wild inconsistency now makes cards with older slabs less valuable.

A little bit of variance is ok, but the difference between those two cards is staggering, and completely unacceptable.
I agree with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
Like what was written above, you never know what you're going to get, or maybe your's is another one they were hoping you'd Please Submit Again?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:52 PM
James
James Kin.chen

This arrived today.
James

Old 08-04-2016, 10:11 PM
Bill Gregory

John, I'm not exactly sure how this is germane to the point I was making. It's late, so maybe I'm missing something. Or, perhaps I'm just being dense. Again, here's the comment I was responding to:

Quote:
My only aim was to produce a picture of the graded card. A re-slabbed PSA maintains its original serial number.

BTW, I know what the original slabs look like. I selected this particular picture for the sake of expediency. The other pictures I found of the Wagner were much larger; I didn't feel like messing with resizing code, or reducing the picture size in Photoshop, and uploading it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Right in that it was the first graded card, but it's been re-holdered at least once. The 0's in the original slab had the slashes through them a la dot-matrix style. The slabs you still occasionally see like that are the oldest ones. My guess is it was probably re-holdered before Ken what's his name that owns the Diamondbacks bought it.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-04-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Bill Gregory

More nice cards, guys. Well done.

James, that Williams is a real beauty!

Old 08-05-2016, 08:10 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
More nice cards, guys. Well done.

James, that Williams is a real beauty!
+10!

There is something about the 1957 Ted Williams that I've been taken by ever since I first saw one. Not too many cards would earn the adjective MAJESTIC, but this is one of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 08-05-2016, 08:16 AM
M!chael

Really nice stuff posted so far this month. Here are a few of my recent acquisitions (most bought outside of August, but I haven't posted in a while).

First, some HOF Rookies.

These two I bought ungraded and recently got back from PSA.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 PM

Just a plain old Rod Carew IA, but this card has the special distinction of being the last card I need to finish the 1972 set. I know have 1972-1980 complete, along with picking up the 1976 SPCC set a couple years ago. I have to say the 1972 set looks good in the binder, and it's a nice and beefy set.

Last edited by Robs70sCards; 08-05-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs70sCards View Post
Just a plain old Rod Carew IA, but this card has the special distinction of being the last card I need to finish the 1972 set. I know have 1972-1980 complete, along with picking up the 1976 SPCC set a couple years ago. I have to say the 1972 set looks good in the binder, and it's a nice and beefy set.

Nicely done. It feels great completing sets
Old 08-05-2016, 11:58 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs70sCards View Post

Congrats!!!

That is one tough annoying card. Not only was the 1972 Topps Rod Carew IA card my last card for my 1972 set...it was the last card for me to complete my 1970-79 run. Here is a link to my post here about it...crazy we finished on same card...

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=184965

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 08-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Great stuff everyone. Filled a hole in my MVP composite that I am building with this.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:59 PM
Matt

Those eBay bucks were not gonna spend themselves!

Last edited by MattyC; 08-06-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinker Slider View Post
Really nice stuff posted so far this month. Here are a few of my recent acquisitions (most bought outside of August, but I haven't posted in a while).

First, some HOF Rookies.

These two I bought ungraded and recently got back from PSA.

Outstanding cards, esp that Carew. So hard to find like that.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:01 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Those eBay bucks were not gonna spend themselves!

You had a lot of E-Bay bucks!!
Old 08-08-2016, 06:55 PM
Ne@l K

Nice postwar haul! That 67 Carew is outstanding!

Last edited by Neal; 08-08-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: .
Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
John, I'm not exactly sure how this is germane to the point I was making. It's late, so maybe I'm missing something.
Stache - I would think it's "germane" in that I was giving you some additional information on the slab you posted a picture of. I'm glad that you knew all of that already.

Thanks,
-John
Old 08-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Mike

I've been wanting one of these for awhile - long overdue to pick this up!

Old 08-08-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Congrats!!!

That is one tough annoying card. Not only was the 1972 Topps Rod Carew IA card my last card for my 1972 set...it was the last card for me to complete my 1970-79 run. Here is a link to my post here about it...crazy we finished on same card...

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=184965
That is funny! I had bought a bunch of other 72s recently, and this just happened to be the very last one to arrive.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:00 PM
Ne@l K

Nice Aaron, Mike! I once owned three of those at once, now down to only one. Love that card.

I added these in recent days ....

a Sterling Sports win
1949BowmanBerra.jpg

was shut out on Friday at the National, so I went back Sunday looking for affordable mid grade
1954ToppsWilliams1.jpg
1957Mantle.jpg

Old 08-09-2016, 02:56 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Mike and Neal,

Those are very nice cards!