NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2009, 12:01 AM
Administrator

Default Interesting & Funny 19th Century Baseball Stories

Posted By: Paul C.

Here are some interesting newspaper excerpts about 19th century base ball that I've discovered during my research of James O'Rourke. Maybe you will find these as interesting and humorous as I have. Feel free to add any unusual 19th century base ball stories as well.

January 14, 1876 Boston Daily Globe ICE BASE BALL
A game of Base Ball was played on the ice at Jamaica pond yesterday afternoon. The game was quite interesting to the numerous spectators present, and was well played considering this as being the first game any of them had played on ice. There will be a second game at the same place tomorrow. (The box score shows the team 'names': "George Wright's side" and "H. Wright's side".)

May 3, 1885 The Washington Post NY BASE BALL PLAYERS ROLLER-SKATE
Nearly all the New York players are expert roller-skaters. There is talk of arranging a match between O'Rourke and Welch, to settle the championship.

September 12, 1888 New York Times FELL UNDER A HORSE
The features of the game were the fly catching of O'Rourke and Duffy. In the ninth inning Duffy made the most remarkable catch of a fly ball that has been seen here this season. He caught it in far centre field and fell under a horse standing on the carriage tracks, narrowly escaping being kicked by the animal.

May 3, 1885 The Washington Post CUSHION FIGHT!
After the game at Sportman's Park yesterday afternoon the little cushions that had been distributed around among the occupants of the stands were showered out onto the field, where an impromptu game of buff-ball was started with about 500 players. For a period of 10 minutes cushions were flying in every direction, fully 100 being in the air all the time. Park policemen was subject to a perfect fusillade of cushions, from which they were only too glad to beat a retreat. Some of the cushion throwers continued their sport outside of the grounds. It was funny for the spectators and very funny for the players.

September 20, 1908 Boston Daily Globe OLD TIMERS GAME
James H. O'Rourke, a second year member of the team still playing ball, has accepted the invitation to join the old fellows, objecting, however, to being considered an old timer. (O'Rourke was 58 years old)

May 25 and 30, 1880 Boston Daily Globe KNOCKED SENSELESS BUT WILL PLAY AGAIN
In the second inning of the Troy-Boston game, John O'Rourke (Jim's brother), in trying to capture Connors' long hit to centre, ran against the fence and was knocked insensible. The sharp edge of the timber cut his throat 4 inches and he was badly injured about the breast. He was carried from the field. Internal injuries were probably received. O'Rourke thinks he will be able to play again in a few days.

November 8, 1875 Boston Daily Globe WIN PLAYING LEFT HANDED
The Boston Base Ball nine played against 9 of the stockholders of the Association, giving them the advantage of five outs to an inning and pitching and throwing left handed and batting with one hand. Yet with these odds the Bostons were victorious by a score of 25-23 in a full nine innings.

May 1, 1875 Boston Daily Globe BLOWOUT 19th CENTURY STYLE
The Bostons played the Old Dominion club of Petersburg, Virginia, today, winning by a score of 46-3.

September 29th, 1918 FINAL GAME AT AGE 68
O'Rourke played his last game at the age of 68 (he died about 3 months later.) He was a member of the Elks of Bridgeport, who played their "antler brothers" of Derby. He invited his old friend, John J. McGraw, the New York Giants manager, to umpire the game. O'Rourke played one last major league game for the NY Giants in 1904 (age 54) and got one hit in 4 at bats.

February 10, 1910 Bridgeport CT newspaper REASON FOR HIS LONGEVITY
"I lived a clean life. I never touched liquor in any form, nor did I ever use tobacco. I always took care of myself. That's the reason I'm playing ball today (age 60), and that is the reason why I can enjoy the game. When I was a member of the big league teams, I made good money and saved it. I did not sport it away as many of the boys do now, who then find themselves, when their playing days are over, with nothing to keep them from want."

...Seeking scan of O'Rourke's N175 Gypsy Queen card...

Old 03-31-2009, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jamie

These are just great. THANK YOU.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn

Not 19th century, but I thought these fit well with your topic!

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 04-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Thanks for posting this stuff guys. Very interesting.