NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Default HOF signed checks

How does the year a check is signed effect it's value? Is a check from the days a HOF'er played worth more? Show some HOF'ers checks. Thanks D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Max Carey Check.jpg (81.9 KB, 226 views)
Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 PM
qualitycards

Usually yes a signed cancelled check from his playing days should be worth a bit more.
There are other variables like a faded or sloppy signature or bank cancellation marks or holes.
I have passed on some earlier checks in my collection to pick up a later check w/ a better signature.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I agree with Jay, but would add that some of those things might be overlooked if a certain date or year were on the check. A check from a Yankee player dated 1927, a Roger Maris check from 1961 etc.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:00 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

The rules of thumb mentioned above are important, but each check is an individual item and has to be judged on its own merits. Some payees might be more desirable than others - for example, this Ralph Kiner check written to "Kiners Korner Inc" (and bearing a printed Shea Stadium return address)...

...and endorsed as such on the back, in his own hand...

...might have greater appeal to someone who has fond memories of the "Kiner's Korner" post-game show following Mets broadcasts more than a similar Kiner check made out to The May Company or White's Drug Store.

Sometimes, it's what the check was written for that makes a check important. For example, this Casey Stengel check made out to "Essex House"...

...with "NY Expenses NY Mets" written in the corner. What makes this check particularly significant is that it was written October 12, 1961, two days after the expansion draft in which the players who would comprise the inaugural 1962 Mets were selected. Unfortunately, the bank cancellation holes go through the words "NY Mets," but that doesn't take away from the historical value of this particular check.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:54 AM

Nice post Gary. I love the Caey Stengel check and the significance as you described. Very cool!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Wayne Walker

I only have two checks in my HOF collection, both Yankee baseball related

This one is a check from Ed Barrow to William Harridge, paying the league its share of the gate from a homestand.

Here is a Yankees payroll check to Tony Lazzeri, which was endorsed and cashed by him at the Yankee's spring training in Florida. The sig here is affected pretty badly by punches, but his sig is tough enough that I'll take it!

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 02-06-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Doug Goodman

Apologies in advance for a very slight hijack of this post.

The topic caused me to go digging for the one check I have in my collection, a Ty Cobb made out to the Biltmore Hotel in Atlanta on July 22, 1955.

While looking for the check, I found a note that my dad received when he was a kid. Somebody (he doesn't remember who, but is currently pondering it, I anticipate a return phone call in the next hour) got Ty Cobb's autograph for my dad on a flight from Atlanta to the west coast, it is dated less than 2 weeks later.

I had never noticed the dates until now, but find it pretty cool / strange that of all the Ty Cobb checks that exist in the world, 30 years ago I bought one from Fred Copp that was written so close in time to when he signed an autograph to my dad.

Doug

PS - I also like the fact that there is no number or address on the check. My bank laughs me out of the building when I show up with less than 13 forms of picture ID.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cobb-check.jpg (84.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Cobb-note.jpg (17.3 KB, 92 views)