NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2017, 01:05 PM
Fred

I was actually the City Adminstrator for my home town at the time. Small town but I was responsible for the day to day operation of the city including the full time fire police and Dpw departments. We're about 2 hours east of NYC. Very surreal when that second plane hit on tv. Even that far away city people were unnerved and looking for answers. I could imagine what officials closer were going through.

I believe we had volunteers that went into the city to help at the firehouses later on.

Just not a good day.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Peter F

All these stories bring me right back.

I was in my apartment on Upper West Side in Manhattan listening to the radio getting ready to leave for work. They reported a plane had flown into one of the towers, no one knew much more at that moment. I remember thinking it must be a small private plane.

I left for work but something told me not to go down into the subway so I ducked into my local diner who had a small TV on and sat there for an hour or so. A group of NYers all staring at disbelief at the TV.

Yet I STILL took a cab to my midtown office. All my coworkers were waiting downstairs.

A few NJers who weren't up for the trek home, walked back uptown to my apt, and as we walked north all we had to do was turn our heads to see the smoke. We watched the news the whole dreaded day.

Today here in NYC is the exact kind of weather as 2001. Clear, sunny, crisp.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Ken McMillan

Northern Minnesota on vacation at a resort. Watched the 2nd plane fly into the second tower.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:06 PM

I was working for the Chief of Naval Operations at the Naval Interoperability Tactical Center. Although work was of the utmost importance, I was mentally beside myself THiNKiN of my Brother who was a NY City Policeman working Ground Zero.

We are Best Brothers to the End...
And He has Nevar Spoken a Word to me about What Happened THaT Day!

Vigilance has become a Family Motto,

"iN my MiND, THiS Day iS Memorialized!"
Old 09-11-2017, 02:13 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
In a high rise in Times Square. Watched the fires but left before the collapse. Walked from 42nd Street to 180th Street in Washington Heights to try to walk over the GW bridge. Got there about 5 minutes after they closed it to pedestrians. Found out years later that the Port Authority employee in charge of the bridge has same name as me. Odd coincidence. Ended up having lunch in a Dominican restaurant at 11 am and drinking a few Presidente beers. All very surreal to say the least. Walked miles and miles that day but was on adrenalin and utter confusion.
Where in Times Square, Steve? I was at 1515 Broadway on the 46th floor. I walked from my apartment on 34th and 1st over to work and slowly pieced together what had happened as I talked to people. My cell phone was not working as I tried calling my parents...as I was walking all I could see was smoke in the sky coming from the south. Will never forget seeing the TV footage of the planes hitting and then looking out the window while the Towers burned. Remember it all like it was yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

T206:
319/524
43/76 HOF
18/48 SL

1954 Topps

Carlton Fisk PSA Basic Set Registry:
60/83
GPA: 9.53

Finished Topps Complete Base Set Run:
1973 - 1993, 2012 - 2017
Old 09-11-2017, 02:55 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I was in the first grade in Rhode Island. I don't remember the day itself, but I do remember over the next few days the school handed out large cardboard signs that had the flag on one side, and the lyrics to Star-Spangled Banner and another song (God Bless America?) on the other. About five years later, I was flipping through the channels and saw what I thought was a horror movie, that showed a wall of ash tearing through a city and smothering everything in its path. It wasn't until I checked the program guide that I saw it was a documentary about 9/11, and that was footage from the tower collapse.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:40 PM

Teaching school on Long island. Knew it was bad when the principal called all students to main office if their parents worked in the towers. You could see the smoke coming from Manhattan on the second floor of the school which is probably 30 miles away. When school let out I went to pick up my daughter at a day care. My town fire department was out in full force and heading into Manhattan to help out.
3 families in my neighborhood lost a love one that day and one of my students lost his Dad.
When I took my shower before work this morning I was thinking of all who perished that day...you just never know when the end will come... I am sure no one thought the morning of 9/11 that this is my last shower and I won't be coming home tonight. Don't forget your tell the people in your life that you love them.pick up the phone and make a call to mom,dad,or that brother or sister your fighting with.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:52 PM

Default A Memory & Few Mementos

I Remember….

That morning I was sitting in my new office with a view looking South. Due to a promotion, I'd been relocated here. What a great view! I could even see the upper floors of the WTC in the distance from my window. The old office, at 90 Church, was directly across the street from the Trade Center. There my view was blocked by the towers, only giving me a view of the Center's plaza. Just three days ago, I met and had dinner there with a colleague. I was feeling good, could hardly wait for my day to end. Thanks to my Yankee CC incentive program, I had tickets to see Yankees vs. Chicago at the Stadium that evening.

Due to the bright sunlight that morning, I had shut my blinds. A co-worker came in and asked me to open them. He heard that the WTC was hit by a plane. I immediately thought terror attack. We looked and saw a cloud of smoke from one of the towers, we turned on the radio and tried to call our colleagues located at the offices across from the Towers....couldn't get through.
The staff gathered to watch from my window, and then the second tower got hit. All we could see was smoke as we listened to the radio. We were in shock…some started crying…some began praying. Then the first building collapsed..... we saw a mushroom cloud....we evacuated.

I caught a cab, but after a few blocks he refused to continue. The city was locked down. I walked home….everyone was afraid. When I reached home, my answering machine was blinking with messages from friends and loved ones, wanting to know if I was safe. I couldn’t help it… I began to cry.

A few of my mementos....
Yankee Tickets....

The Flag.. Everyone raised the Flag! Together we Stand!
Flags were flown from buildings, automobiles, store fronts, Lapels.... chants of USA! Mmmm…. how soon they forget. I proudly wore my pin, never wore one before. My employer also issued a special lapel Flag with our acronym, and a letter of commendation for the work we were doing during the crisis.

Heroes Comic.... Comic writers and illustrators honor those who perished in service. Proceeds to The 911 Fund

US Postal Heroes Stamps... Proceeds to the Federal Emergency Management Agency

WTC Steel Commemorative Medallion.... 10% Proceeds originally stated for The Fund for The City of NY. After public outrage, the Fund denied involvement. This controversy halted production and distribution to the issuing foundry. Shipment and recycling of the WTC steel was then rethought and managed differently. I wanted a medallion, made contact with the company marketing rep, and was successful. I've never shown this before today.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:05 PM
Duncan

Lake Placid, NY for a conference. A day just like today. Clear blue sky and a touch of crispness to the air. More than half the people at the conference were from Long Island but couldn't get home since all the bridges were closed.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Tony N.

Default 9/11/01

I was a freshman at PSU, and my day off was Tuesday & Thursday from class. I worked at the US Postal Service on my off days, and I was sorted thru address changes and forwarding mail to the new zip codes.

The one lady told me that an airplane hit the WTC. I didn't think too much from that statement, but once 3 more planes hit other targets, the towers collapsed, and they let us watch TV in the break room, it was a day I will never forget.

The next day I bought a new car, and the finance manager at the dealership told me that his brother worked in the World Trade Center, but he forgot to set his alarm since he was up watching Monday Night Football the night before. I think he was a Giants fan. He slept in past 9:00am, never made it to the office that day. He said MNF saved his brother's life. Crazy story.

Can't believe it's been 16 years already.

Tony