NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-17-2016, 04:26 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
There are shoppers ( on the internet or brick and mortar ) who troll looking for those mistakes and try to take advantage.
Do you honestly think the OP was trolling around on eBay looking for price mistakes? If so, what makes you think that?
Old 02-17-2016, 05:06 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Do you honestly think the OP was trolling around on eBay looking for price mistakes? If so, what makes you think that?
This is also what I think, and what the OP seems to indicate in his own post.

"Aside from these listing/pricing errors, there isn't anything of interest from the seller, so my revenue will not be missed."

Sure sounds to me like he's only interested in prices that are obvious mistakes, or well below market value. He also seems to be hoping sellers won't notice rare variations, another mistake he can take advantage of. He is correct in that this type of customer would not be missed by any business.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:36 PM
Eric Perry

Last edited by Eric72; 02-18-2016 at 04:48 AM. Reason: NM
Old 02-17-2016, 08:46 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

he isn't "trolling" looking for pricing errors.

what he's basically saying is that he feels he's being targeted for his purchases after he has made them only to have the seller recheck the value of the card(s) or if it's a certain variation of the card once he sees the op's name has made said purchase solely because that's the op's niche. "hmm, why's he buying this card?"

again, i didn't waste my time looking at the cards/prices in question...but not taking sides one way or another on this one, even w/ the mantle.

but i think anyone would naturally feel the same way if it kept happening on a repeated basis.

however, to say he's "trolling" looking for pricing errors is simply unjust at this junction.

Last edited by begsu1013; 02-17-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:45 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
he isn't "trolling" looking for pricing errors.

what he's basically saying is that he feels he's being targeted for his purchases after he has made them only to have the seller recheck the value of the card(s) or if it's a certain variation of the card once he sees the op's name has made said purchase solely because that's the op's niche. "hmm, why's he buying this card?"

again, i didn't waste my time looking at the cards/prices in question...but not taking sides one way or another on this one, even w/ the mantle.

but i think anyone would naturally feel the same way if it kept happening on a repeated basis.

however, to say he's "trolling" looking for pricing errors is simply unjust at this junction.
You may be right, and the OP is the only one who can say for sure. My take is that he was looking for cards that were priced below their market value, either by mistake, or the seller being unaware of the added value of a variation.

My guess is that he was trolling for pricing errors, but I do not have enough information to make a definitive statement.

I stand behind my initial assessment that if this was the case, it was inappropriate to write a post complaining about the seller catching the error.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:20 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
My take is that he was looking for cards that were priced below their market value, either by mistake, or the seller being unaware of the added value of a variation.
So what if he was? Isn't that what eBay is all about, looking for deals? Or are you one of those buyers that when you search, you sort by "Highest Price First"?

You need to look at the poll on the main board. There is nothing wrong trolling eBay looking for bargains (cards priced below market value), looking for errors in listings (misspellings in title or key words), unknown variations, etc. That is what eBay is all about.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 02-18-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:16 AM
Ben North

Quote:
So what if he was? Isn't that what eBay is all about, looking for deals? Or are you one of those buyers that when you search, you sort by "Highest Price First"?

You need to look at the poll on the main board. There is nothing wrong trolling eBay looking for bargains (cards priced below market value), looking for errors in listings (misspellings in title or key words), unknown variations, etc. That is what eBay is all about.
+1 I thought looking for bargains was part of collecting.

Now for the more fun question how many posters in this thread that stuck up for the seller was asked to and/or received compensation for doing so from that seller?
Old 02-18-2016, 01:33 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

I do not seeing anything inherently wrong with looking for good deals or even pricing mistakes. I do see a problem with complaining when a seller catches the mistake and does not honor the price that was posted in error.

I only mentioned I thought the OP was "trolling for pricing errors" because others implied this was unlikely. I disagree with their assessment.

I have not been paid for these, or any posts. Nor have I been asked to comment by anyone. My opinion isn't that important, although I do enjoy sharing it from time to time on this discussion board.

Mistakes do happen on the buyer side as well. I believe I have 2 bid retractions in my time on ebay, both honest mistakes that were retracted quickly. I even hit the BIN button once when I meant to send a best offer. I emailed the seller immediately and he canceled the sale and let me make the offer I meant to send. We did end up reaching an agreement between the two numbers. None of these situations called for a complaint to be published in a public forum.