NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Ben Martin

Default T 209 & T210 Questions. Thinking about collecting the Winston-Salem team

Let me start by saying I own a grand total of 4 Tobacco era cards. I got back into collecting early last year. I mostly collect Chicago Cubs and work on a few sets here an there.

I recently discovered/noticed the Winston-Salem cards in the T209 and T210 sets. I was born in Winston-Salem, NC and lived there a few times during the years. I now live around an hour away in VA.

Anyway I have became really interested in these cards recently. I have held off on buying any thus far due to my lack of knowledge. That's why I am making this post. I am looking for some good resources to learn more about these sets. Any websites, articles, etc that you guys could point me towards would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips or advice would be great as well.

I have been looking at the few online and it seems asking prices may be high. I have noticed some have sold for less looking at completed auctions. I am also a bit weary of buying cards that are ungraded due to my lack of knowledge although condition isn't of the greatest concern I just don't want an altered card as it may be harder to sell in the future. I don't mind some of the lower graded cards. I saw one graded a 1.5 that I would be happy to own. Do the prices vary widely on these and are some rarer than others?

I hope you guys can point me in the right direction. I appreciate any replies or advice.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hi Ben
I suggest doing different searches on this board. I think you will probably find more info here than almost anywhere else. As for buying cards, almost all of the cards on ebay are severely overpriced when they are Buy It Nows......in true auctions you can still find them relatively affordable. Wish I knew more about the specific subset but learning and hunting are most of the fun!!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:34 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Ben,

If you want a quick and dirty checklist to get started (and don't already have one), just go to www.Beckett.com and enter in "1910 Winston" on the search line (or "T209 Winston", etc). You don't need a member to get the list, but you'd have to pay for pricing (which IMHO isn't worth it for these specific cards). You can then take an old SCD (if you have one) and check based on player regarding scarcity. Not an exact science, but it might give you a relative idea of scarcity (though I wouldn't take either Beckett or SCD as gospel).

At least with a list of players it might make your searching a bit easier on ebay and auctions. Hope this helps!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Jason Wells

Here is the team checklist for the T210's.None of these should be difficult to pick up I have seen all of them at one time or another available.I have never seen a reprint other than the Series 8 Joe Jackson.

1910 Old Mill T210 Carolina League - Winston-Salem
Bievens
Brent
Ferrell
Fogarty
Gilmore
Guss
Laval
MacConachie
McKevitt
Midkiff
Moore
Painter
Reis
Templin

As for the T209's,that's a different story.Ill let a more experienced collector speak on that those but there are so many tough cards in that set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (62.2 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Jason; 09-23-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Ben Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hi Ben
I suggest doing different searches on this board. I think you will probably find more info here than almost anywhere else. As for buying cards, almost all of the cards on ebay are severely overpriced when they are Buy It Nows......in true auctions you can still find them relatively affordable. Wish I knew more about the specific subset but learning and hunting are most of the fun!!
Thanks for the reply. I have read a bit about them on here and there are some posts that are archived I guess that I read about someone collecting these. I don't think I will be jumping on any BIN's as they seem overpriced.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Ben Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Here is the team checklist for the T210's.None of these should be difficult to pick up I have seen all of them at one time or another available.I have never seen a reprint other than the Series 8 Joe Jackson.

1910 Old Mill T210 Carolina League - Winston-Salem
Bievens
Brent
Ferrell
Fogarty
Gilmore
Guss
Laval
MacConachie
McKevitt
Midkiff
Moore
Painter
Reis
Templin

As for the T209's,that's a different story.Ill let a more experienced collector speak on that those but there are so many tough cards in that set.
Thanks for the reply. Is that your card?
Old 09-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Jason Wells

Yes I have 7 of the 14 in my personal collection.Good luck with the search.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Ben North

Here is a link to a complete checklist. http://www.obaks.com/vintagebaseballcards/t210.html

The T210's are some awesome looking cards. Anyone with some low end cards for sale or trade please let me know.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:18 PM
John

Show 'em to Ben.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Laval T210.jpg (79.0 KB, 126 views)
Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Ben Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Show 'em to Ben.
Wow that's a nice one. You surely don't need that card living in SC.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Jack Vernon

Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Ben Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
That's a nice one as well. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Hi Ben,

Winston-Salem is a doable subset to assemble for T210, but a bit more difficult for T209-2. Tim Newcomb and I didn't provide a player checklist by team in our Old Cardboard article on T209, but if you go to the OC website you can easily create a W-S team list from the checklist for T209-2.

In general T209-2s are difficult to find and if you stumble across any, despite the condition, grab it/them. All the players for W-S are shown in studio poses (as opposed to field poses like the T210 of Midkiff) as these few demonstrate.

Enjoy the hunt!

Cheers, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg King frt.jpg (88.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Midkiff frt.jpg (87.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg Ferrell frt.jpg (84.8 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Michael Peich; 09-23-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:42 PM
Ben Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Peich View Post
Hi Ben,

Winston-Salem is a doable subset to assemble for T210, but a bit more difficult for T209-2. Tim Newcomb and I didn't provide a player checklist by team in our Old Cardboard article on T209, but if you go to the OC website you can easily create a W-S team list from the checklist for T209-2.

In general T209-2s are difficult to find and if you stumble across any, despite the condition, grab it/them. All the players for W-S are shown in studio poses (as opposed to field poses like the T210 of Midkiff) as these few demonstrate.

Enjoy the hunt!

Cheers, Mike
Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help from you guys.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Both sets are very cool but as has been said above, you can take a wait for an auction approach on the T210's as they will pop up and you should be able to complete your set in time. The T209's are a different story, some might never pop up for auction so when I see one I need, I go all out for it because it could be 10-20 years before I see another.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 PM

Hey Ben,
I live in Winston and have completed both subsets..... The T210's are not too difficult, but 3-4 of the T209's are pretty tough.... I'll try to post more when I can... Good luck. Be well Brian
Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 AM
Ben Martin

Thanks to another forum member my first T210 for my set arrived today. I have a couple more on the way and I will update when they arrive.