NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Default Restoration

Posted By: Glen V

Hopefully this thread will stay on topic...

Here is an example of a restored card. An article was written is VCBC #7 about the process of restoring it. State of the art techniques (at least then) were used that were completely reversable. Over forty hours of work went into fixing the card.

I struggled over buying a restored card, but the price of a nice Darby was out of my range and I couldn't see spending a chunk of money on a poor one with major damage. One well known dealer considered the work done to be art itself.

Your views on restoration, assuming everyone is open on what has been done?

Old 04-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Default Restoration

Posted By: jay behrens

Definately some nice work done on the card. The few Darby's I've ever seen were heavily soiled with many other problems. Personally, I prefer cards that have some problems. Gives the card character. But if the NM look is what you are into, then restoration isn't a bad thing as long as it is not done to decieve. If the comic hobby can live with, so can we.

Jay

Old 04-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default Restoration

Posted By: petecld

Glen,

BEAUTIFUL card!!! That dealer was right, professional restoration is an art form in and of itself and as your card shows, the results can be amazing.

I don't have any problem with restoration. I have a problem with deception.

I went after a restored 1933 Goudey #144 Ruth that was restored to NM condition. The seller who sold the card didn't hide anything and even though some feel he was wrong for selling restored cards he is what I consider an honest seller.

As long as a restored card is sold as such, what's the problem?

Old 04-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Default Restoration

Posted By: warshawlaw

As long as it is disclosed, what the heck is the difference?

Old 04-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Default Restoration

Posted By: Scott

Glen,

I would buy that card any day of the week I could find it even knowing it was restored. Its nice to see the card how it was intended to look when it was produced...

Like others who have chimed in, as long as it was disclosed that card was restored, I wouldn't have a problem.

The only problem I have is getting the image out of my head of an old guy meticulously doing the restoration work on the card much like the restoration done to Woody in Toy Story 2...

Old 04-29-2004, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Default Restoration

Posted By: Eric

This is a great card, but I don't feel it meshes well with your personal collection. Aware of the grave oversight you've made, I'm willing to "hold" the card in my collection for a nominal fee. Of course, I only do this out of friendship.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Default Restoration

Posted By: Glen V

Thanks for the above comments on my card. However, I didn't start the thread to show off, it was meant as a continuation of MW's About Last Night thread which was locked. (Guess I left that out of my first post - need to communicate better.) He mentioned putting up before and after pictures of restored cards. I'd still like to see his pictures, or those of others who have had cards restored. Seems like this topic could be interesting and educational to a number of us.

Old 04-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default Restoration

Posted By: runscott

Couldn't say it any better.

I also agree with MW's comments that if you want to be able to detect really professional restoration jobs, you've got to see some of their handiwork first-hand. I don't deal with restored cards, so I feel no need to go to that much trouble - plus, I like my cards in their beat-up condition.

However, I'm very curious how the card doctors can slip their work by the professional graders, and I would love to see a truly professional alteration job in person. Also, no one has explained to me yet how this stuff can pass the black light test, yet it continually does so. For instance, would the Darby's card shown above get by a professional grading service? If not, why?