NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Default women in collecting

Posted By: Rob

I'm still new to this board, so I hope this isn't too far off topic. I'm kind of directing this toward Julie and any other women who might be members of this forum. In my years of collecting, I haven't encountered that many women who collect. Just curious if you've had any problems, such as snide comments from male collectors or dismissive attitudes from a neanderthal dealer, etc., etc.
My guess is that in the next decade and beyond -- because there's been such and increased amount of participation by girls and women in organized sports -- there will be a lot more women becoming collectors of all kinds of cards and sports memorabilia.
How did you get into it, Julie? Or anyone else? And what has been your experience? Just curious.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

One thing I enjoy about my particular non-sport area of collecting, is that it's about 50/50 men/women collectors and it's international. And by international, I mean further away than just southern Canada.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 03-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

The card collecting women of North America. Available on newstands everywhere.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 03-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Administrator

I wasn't aware of being a woman in a man's hobby until I joined this board; my son, Mark Macrae, Terry Knouse, Lew Lipset, Mastro and Gary Engel, Barry Sloate were very helpful to me. Until about 6-7 years ago, there were a lot of shows.

There have been occasions when this board made me feel like Adolph Eichmann. You wouldn't BELIEVE some of the stories I could tell you, but won't. One of them involves two members of the board usurping my name in the chatroon, and saying the stupidest things they could think of, pretending to be me! I saw a personal note from one to the other saying "This is sure to drive her crazy."

Piles of hatred have been directed at me. I have to assume that it's either misogyny, or I really am the world's dumbest ass.

Most of the time, it's great. This topic has come up before, and while some people remember the hatred, others say we're all imagining things--including some of the worst perpetrators.

I've never met another woman seriously in the hobby. I know there are some--I talked to a couple at Tri Star--but I've never gotten to know one. "Amy," who occasionally posts here, but without an e-mail address, won't talk to me.

I caught the collecting bug from my son, when he was 9. Once I started, it seemed like the most natural thing in the world. He quit after 3 years.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Least we forget Vivian Barning and the Duke / PeeWee joke? All kidding aside, the joke was kind of funny...

Old 03-08-2005, 07:51 AM
Administrator

smile and the friendship fade from his face. I don't think Vivian even heard it.

He probably just told her I wasn't "their kind of people."

Old 03-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

Thanks for the response, Julie. Sorry if I revisited a topic that had already come up. You guys seemed to have covered everything over the years.

I doubt very much that you're the "world's dumbest ass," and suspect that others would more readily qualify for that title. In a way, I'm surprised to hear that there are so few women collectors. I have several female friends who love baseball, or other sports. They just never were interested in the card/collecting aspect. Not exactly sure why.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Jeter

Marion Owens who is the owner of Maraya Sportscards.

Scott

Old 03-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Old 03-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Never saw that maraya website before,thanks.

We cant forget the nice lady who i won a 68 seaver and stargell from off ebay then she sent them taped together(so they wouldnt move during shipping) in an envelope with a 33 cent stamp.No cardboard,no nothing except a nice thank you note for quick payment which was a money order i sent the day the auction ended.

Oh yes the other woman in collecting we shouldnt forget about would be Tammy,who lets her husband by nice stuff

Old 03-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Guilty as Half Charged!

I wasn't trying to usurp your name.
My response was directed at David, because he chimed in on a question by Rob, that was directed to you, (Julie) or anyone else.

I'm positive about the directed question to Julie, but I might be wrong about the "anyone else" part.
The only thing that I have to go on is the fact that Rob's main question, and an interesting one, was about finding out more about Venus attraction in the sports hobby.

Like I said, my interpretation may be wrong but, it is not an unknown factor that David has been known to change his mind and thought patterns in multiple proportions at any sitting.

Rob:
You've nailed it.
Julie is extremely knowledgeable, on top of her game, truly loves what she collects, always wants to learn more, .... and almost forgot, she loves to share with us, some of the clearest images that you will ever want to see.

Dumbass #1
Joe P.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Administrator

a little sensitive to seeing my name in someone else's handwriting (see my first post in this thread!)

There's no point in describing the ins and outs of my scanner till you have yours set up, and have futzed with it. Then we'll know if they are comperable, and whether my experience will be of any help to you. "Setting my scanner up" consisted of removing the old dead one, and plugging in the new one!

Old 03-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Koyama

Marion Owens is one of the only sellers at a local card show in so. Cal that sells anything other than modern. Once in a while she'll have some T cards, but she goes by high SMR and won't budge on prices.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

are ladies (not mentioning any names w/o permission of course). In fact, two of them buy a TON of high priced caramels from several eBay dealers, and usually buy something from me every time I list items!

Old 03-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Old 03-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Not many woman posting on this baseball card board. It reminds me of what Jerry Seinfeld said about lesbians, "They have absolutely no desire to date men. You have to respect that."

Old 03-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Administrator

I didn't think you were saying I was gay, but for the record--I'm barely even straight, much less gay...