NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2018, 06:36 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Default Who makes these rules?????

So in the sports collectors hobby we have a few rules.

Thou Shall not trim thay cards.

Thou shall not recolor thay cards.

Thou shall not restore that cards.

Thou shall not covet thay neighbors cards! ( ok not a rule otherwise we will all be going to card he’ll)

Thou shall not rebuild thay corners.

Ok you guys get the point! When and where did these rules come from?

We have a bunch of types of collecting in the world and some of these seem ok.

Restoring and cleaning art= ok

Pressing comic books then grading them= ok

Cutting uncut sheets of old money and getting it graded = ok

In real art a very good old copy can bring a astonishing amount of money. In card it won’t unless your a conman.
I don’t understand why some of these thing seem fine in other hobby’s and not in others.I never understood the idea of not cleaning old coins. If it doesn’t cause damage and makes it look better then what’s the problem?
Again if you found a dirty old stain Picasso at a flea market. Then cleaned it up no problem.

Last edited by Rookiemonster; 03-24-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:04 PM
Joey D's In Da House!

While not necessarily germane to your point, i would note that in the comics world, restoration destroys the books value.....to an illogical level, in fact. take a book worth $100K and add two dots of color designed to cover up tiny blemishes.....book now worth less than $20K.

Cars might be a good comparison. Restoring a classic car can improve it's value......

Anyways, carry on!

Successful transactions buy/sell/trade with: BryanDec, Bounce, Swanstars, PiratesWS1979, unamuzd1, joshchisox08, and others
Old 03-25-2018, 12:00 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

One word: Disclosure.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:04 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
One word: Disclosure.
Right I fully get that but with disclosure the prices of a altered restored card is very different then a restore Picasso.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Right I fully get that but with disclosure the prices of a altered restored card is very different then a restore Picasso.
Just my guess but there is only 1 real Picasso of each subject. There are 1000s of Mantles 52 Topps(example only) card. So for me the restoration on a 1/1 painting makes sense and the restoration of a card that has 1000s of copies does not. So to me if a card is restored it should be worth less than an original copy.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:38 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

If Picasso restored cards between paintings, I bet they would be worth more.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:14 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Are you sure that he didn't do Don Mossi's ears?
Old 03-25-2018, 09:20 AM
Bill

Lol. Mossi's ears are a true classic!
Old 03-25-2018, 09:26 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
If the piece is altered and graded or authenticated as such then so be it. If it is altered and graded as non-altered then most won't be forthcoming with that info. Always buyer beware.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:35 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
The cards or the paintings?
Old 03-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Bill

Dustin, I can certainly understand your frustration with this. To answer your question, we make the rules. We, being the collectors. Every form of collecting, curating, etc., has its own rules, written or unwritten. These "rules" are dictated by the collectors in most cases. Certainly that is largely the case with our hobby (obsession). Restoring a Picasso is accepted, it just is. But with sports trading cards, its not considered restoration, rather it is an alteration. Most collectors, myself included, are purists and wouldn't bat an eye or spend their money on altered cards. Of course, there are always exceptions. I hope my answer to your question doesn't come off as smug or sarcastic. In my early years as a vintage card collector I struggled with the same question. Okay, off my soap box now. Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:00 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Just my guess but there is only 1 real Picasso of each subject. There are 1000s of Mantles 52 Topps(example only) card. So for me the restoration on a 1/1 painting makes sense and the restoration of a card that has 1000s of copies does not. So to me if a card is restored it should be worth less than an original copy.
This^

If prints were available, which is common today, then those altered/trimmed/colored copies would be judged/viewed the same way as baseball cards.

One offs, for history reasons and preserving that history is an entirely different thing.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

Most art restoration is done to improve the appearance of a unique item. Most card restoration is done to deceive. Even if disclosed, as Ben said, most people prefer to choose an original which almost always are abundant.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Rick Seuferer

Each collectible group has their own standards. Doesn't mean any are better than others, it's just what has grown to be the accepted standards. Try refinishing antique furniture and see what it does to the value.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:53 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Most art restoration is done to improve the appearance of a unique item. Most card restoration is done to deceive. Even if disclosed, as Ben said, most people prefer to choose an original which almost always are abundant.
Most card are done to restore the look and appearance as well. The only reason it became a thing is because someone some where decided it’s not a good practice. More then likely it was before grading was even a idea.

53browns Thanks for the answer.

Picasso/ other prominent artist made a lot of prints from etching during there career. I don’t think a restoration of these prints would doing anything negative to the value.

We definitely have cards that are rare more or less then theses prints. And at some point somewhere some have been altered.

It’s not that I’m for altering by any means because I came up in the hobby and feel that it’s wrong. But I started to think the other night of why I think it’s wrong. I think it’s wrong because I’ve been told to think it’s wrong.its been so ingrained in me that if I bought art I might not want it to be altered. This is what got me thinking.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:07 AM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

You'll find other 'collected' artifacts either have, are in the process of, or will follow these said rules you are struggling with.

As pointed out above:
Furniture already has dealt with this. Unrestored is infinitely better.
Coins similarly.
Cars are in this moment undergoing the change. An unmolested original in superior condition is bringing multiples of even lightly restored examples.

Removing or changing the patina of history from a historical object has become to be understood as devaluing the originality of the item.
It makes sense. Why make something old look new, it's beauty is in the tone, 'wrinkles' and age it has accrued. If that same historical item has somehow largely overcome the extraordinary likelihood of age related distressing, then we pay for that amazing survival. Artificially creating that magic of survival is just a plain self defeating thing to do that goes against the very heart of collecting thinking...
That is, finding and acquiring that which is not easily found and acquired.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:16 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

At this stage if life I tend to favor the magic of survival.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:22 AM
Steve Birmingham

Different hobbies have different standards to be sure. And for many hobbies those standards have changed over time.

In coins, it's not so much cleaning, it's cleaning done poorly. Most silver coins you see that are bright and shiny have been cleaned, usually by dipping briefly in a very gentle jewelry cleaner then rinsing with clear water. It's not talked about much because its so common.
Removing a bunch of brown tarnish is pretty much ok, it is sort of an alteration, but the tarnish will eventually do a bit of damage.
There's a sometimes huge premium for coins with tarnish that leaves a very pretty surface, sometimes like a rainbow. Removing that drastically reduces the value.

"cleaning" with Ajax, Brillo pads, pencil erasers.... all totally no good.

Stamps have a similar view to cards, alterations of any kind are bad. Some stuff is accepted though, like if it's used and has been hinged into 5 albums with the hinge remnants left on each time it's ok to soak off the old hinges. Removing a hinge remnant form an unused stamp is a bit trickier.

Cars - It used to be almost required to "restore" even really nice originals. Now there's a big bonus for "original", probably because so few truly original ones are left. It was also pretty hotly debated when the money for some got to be enough that a car could be "restored" from nearly nothing. I've seen an occasional before picture of a what's mostly a truckload of rust that became a car.

Usually allowable restoration is more in the line of conservation, removing at stabilizing things that would in time destroy the item. It's common to have very old posters backed with linen. As far as I know the process is reversible, and keeps the poster from getting torn.

And as mentioned above, disclosure is usually very important.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Default A better comparison - rare books

In the rare book world it has been accepted for hundreds of years that restoration- if disclosed- can add a lot of value. Like cards books are not unique (at least from 1450's on). The restoration is seen as a way to persevere the books so they can be used by future generations. Some important major collectors would actually have all of there collection rebounds in distinctive covers and such copies are extremely valued today
Old 03-25-2018, 11:45 AM
Rob

These are rules which card collectors wish to impose upon themselves. At the end of the day, all you really have is the same little piece of cardboard. One may have a few cents more worth of modern materials. Does that justify an 80K difference in value? To each his own.

I always ask..Would you pay more for a fully restored 1965 Corvette Stingray or one that's essentially a rusted out paperweight sitting up on cinder blocks?
Old 03-25-2018, 06:13 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Are you sure that he didn't do Don Mossi's ears?
I think that was done by van Gogh...
Old 03-26-2018, 08:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
These are rules which card collectors wish to impose upon themselves. At the end of the day, all you really have is the same little piece of cardboard. One may have a few cents more worth of modern materials. Does that justify an 80K difference in value? To each his own.

I always ask..Would you pay more for a fully restored 1965 Corvette Stingray or one that's essentially a rusted out paperweight sitting up on cinder blocks?
Well, Since the body is fiberglass, and the frame can be bought, and since I can't afford the fully restored one.

I'll take the rustbucket.