NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Jimmy

Default 1935 National Chicle Set Wow!

1935 National Chicle Set Wow!

I know we do not talk much about pre-war football, but what a set that will start accepting bids tonight by Memory Lane, these cards have some great history about early players and the colors and design are outstanding. I have always been a big fan of the National Chicle sets, anyone else?

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 01-22-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Kinda resemble a Goudey that ingested mushrooms.

The great art deco design speaks 1930's. Wonder how much better they'd look on glossy paper.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Barry Sloate

It's actually the counterpart to the Diamond Stars. And the National Chicle is a beautiful set.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM

Gorgeous set !!!
Im going to cut out the pictures of the cards from the catalog, so I can say I have a copy of the set.

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 01-22-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
It's actually the counterpart to the Diamond Stars. And the National Chicle is a beautiful set.
They also released non sports sets like Sky Birds. They all have a similar art deco look.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 PM

Love it. Slowly working on my low grade beater!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Kim B

Big fan as you can see by my name. They also had several other "non-sport" sets that many folks don't know about. For being in business for only 3 years they left quite a mark on the hobby.

Last edited by nationalchicle; 05-27-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 PM

First post is a bumping a 4 month old thread...not the best way to introduce yourself.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
First post is a bumping a 4 month old thread...not the best way to introduce yourself.
Who cares?

Condescending comment...not the best way to welcome a new member.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Jeff

Welcome Kim B., it can be a tough crowd sometimes.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

I don't mind folks bumping old threads, if you are indeed on the topic of the old thread and not starting a sub topic. In my mind, the problem with this thread was the original poster, jbsports33, who seems to be a consignor advertising his goods.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
I don't mind folks bumping old threads, if you are indeed on the topic of the old thread and not starting a sub topic. In my mind, the problem with this thread was the original poster, jbsports33, who seems to be a consignor advertising his goods.
Well even if jpsports33 did consign it (and I don't know they did), at least jbsports33 pays to advertise on the board. What about the members that post an auction is open and the sole reason is that they have something consigned to it?

As for bumping old threads it's usually better to start a new one unless there is some good information that is being added to.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 PM

Rob, sure. Let's let new members think it is ok to bump old threads to say they like the card/set. That sets a great precedent for future members...

EDIT: Dammit, Leon, you type too fast...

Last edited by JP; 05-27-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default new members

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Rob, sure. Let's let new members think it is ok to bump old threads to say they like the card/set. That sets a great precedent for future members...

EDIT: Dammit, Leon, you type too fast...
This new member that joined really is a national chicle aficiando....More will come out later....Suffice it to say we have emailed back and forth a little bit. Hey, what am I doing up this late? I need to go to bed .
Old 05-28-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hey, what am I doing up this late? I need to go to bed .
I think some people call it "holding down the fort"....
Old 05-28-2010, 06:11 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

I have been collecting this set for a few years and really like the artwork and the backs. This set exemplifies the birth of the NFL if you think about it. I love football history almost as much as baseball. One of my best friends great grandfathers was a guard or tackle on the Dayton Triangles , and he played in the very first football game. I really like looking at the few pics his family saved from that time. It's hard to believe that some guys played without helmets and padding back then too.
Lots of interesting theories as to why the high number cards are so scarce too. Some think it was a regional thing, but I don't think so. The old man I have been buying mine from for the last 10 years or so inherited his collection from his father who was a lifelong ohio resident. He bought all his cards in the Dayton area back in the 1930's. These cards are way undervalued if you ask me. The one problem with their value is that there is an unknown amount of unopened 1935 Chicle still out there. A year ago aomeone sold one box at a show in Cincinnati/Middletown Ohio, and I've seen another box in Kentucky for sale too. several ( 4 I think)unopened boxes were discovered in Johnstown Pa. a couple of years ago. PSA or SCD also did a story about some packs or boxes being found in Colorado and in Oklahoma if I remember. I need a decent looking Clark to replace my crappy one, a Nagurski, a Rockne,and 3 of the high number cards and I'll be done with this set. The way the Nagurski card has been climbing in value may put it out of reach for me. I saw a very very very poor looking copy sell for a few thousand dollars and told myself I would never pay that much $$ for a card that I could barely recognize.

I wonder how many guys on here collect vintage football ? I collect all the 40's leaf and bowman and some of the early 50's bowman sets
Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 AM

welcome aboard Kim.

chicles are great. i have collected these for years.

the high numbers are very tough, but i have never heard a regional theory. i think they are tough because the football product ddin't sell nearly as well as the baseball product.

the backs state 240 cards; the first series was 24, the second series was 12.
why did the set stop at 36 cards?
the theory is (and this is documented to a point) that some teams did not send photos (or enough photos) to national chicle.

i would like to see the unopened boxes of chicles. i have doubts.....i have seen one pack (forget boxes) in 15 years. that pack was an obvious re-seal job.

chicle wrappers are somewhat plentiful. if you saved 20 wrappers, you could get a chicle premium r311-2 (now those are rare).

if you are interested in national chicle football; you really should pick up the back issue of Gridiron Greats (GG) that has a detailed breakdown of the possible backs. excellent research went into that article.

if you collect vintage football, you really should subscribe to GG.

vintage football collecting is healthy. there are lots of us out there.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:30 AM
Jimmy

Default 1935 National Chicle Set Wow!

First of all I wanted to welcome the new member, the football set is great and you have to understand that sometimes other members need to keep comments to themselves. I contribute a lot to this site and I am not a full time dealer at all, I even have free services through my website. I had an issue with the SGC board as well and hope I do not have to do the same thing here; I have been a member for sometime now and would think by now most members would know what my goals are. I work full time for the government and have two kids and a big old house to pay for, so really this hobby for me is more about responsibility and to still have fun with it. I would love to meet more members at the Boston Show I setup at and I am always willing to talk, you can always send me an email. I try not to respond to the negatives on this site, but when I make a post and started it – I should respond!

Thanks Jimmy – this is one of the better sites out there, please let us keep it that way - I just like good stories and history

And no the set was not mine, if so I would have gone on vacation with my family and would have sold it!