NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-09-2016, 01:24 PM
Ne@l K

Default 1993 Jeter SP ... some questions

I am not at all familiar with this card, other than seeing it often on dealer advertisements in the SMR, so bear with me

What are the issues to look for?

Does the surface show print marks? It appears that on most every Jeter I have just looked at on eBay (PSA and BGS) there appear to be marks. I also recognize that these can simply be from a scan, as it appears the background of the card would emphasize even the smallest bit of "dust" on the scanner glass, or the slightest scuff to the holder ....

Does the actual image of Jeter at times be "unfocused" or out of registration?

I may be in the market for a PSA 8 level, so I figured to ask the good folks here as to what to look for

Thanks in advance

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 09-09-2016, 01:42 PM

Scratches, nicks, and marks on the foil surface is what it's all about, and one of the main reasons so few 10's exist. The problem is it can be tough to judge the surface of this card from a scan. It can be tough to get a good scan, plus dust on the holder and scanner bed can be deceiving. You'd also want to look for a lower left corner showing little to no white (same with the rear lower right corner).
Old 09-09-2016, 01:47 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

It's like a piece of aluminum foil on a thin piece of cardboard . It scuffs very easy, the corner can get dinged just by looking to long . The scuffs are hard to see when not in hand . I once seen one that looked nice but on closer inspection
It looked pitted .
Old 09-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Alfredo

yeah like they said the aluminum look to it can easily fall off the cardboard, its very hard to find a 10.......... And by the way, prices of this card have skyrocketed these past few months!!!
Old 09-09-2016, 03:37 PM
Alfredo

wow they have kept going up since the last time I checked!!!! holy cow!!! I just checked PSA 9 and BGS 9 and cant believe what their going for!!!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:16 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

The other big thing to consider is that the card was regularly cut short from the factory, and PSA will send them back ungraded because of "MINSIZREQ" (it didn't meet the minimum size for this set). So people who try PSA and don't get a grade normally send it in to BGS. Many BGS cards that are 9s won't cross to a PSA 9 because of this.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:20 AM
Ne@l K

Thanks fellas, I learned quite a bit .... great looking card!

If I buy one, it most likely would be PSA graded already.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 09-10-2016, 09:19 AM
qu@n nguy3n

didn't know beckett was getting a bad rep with modern stuff, but it makes sense since the opc hockey sheet cut 9.5s has been going on for years...guess it trickled to other cards.

i'm still surprised at the surge in price of this card tho. his induction won't be for another 4 years, he's not making baseball news anymore, and most of his auto stuff has been lagging...this card is the outlier.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:00 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

If PSA rejects factory cut size variations that Beckett doesn't, doesn't that make PSA worse not better (in that instance)?
Old 09-11-2016, 06:33 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
If PSA rejects factory cut size variations that Beckett doesn't, doesn't that make PSA worse not better (in that instance)?
Not necessarily, and it doesn't really make sense to me why PSA won't grade them. They have the mylar insert for these examples, and they were not altered

I was not aware that there was a size variance on this issue like I am with other issues that have a size variance(SGC will grade those issues like 1957 Topps and PSA won't)

Old 09-11-2016, 08:36 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I would wait to buy for at least a year on this one.

Jeter is still too fresh in people's minds for it to be a good time. Prices will drop by this time next year as the memory fades and then rocket the year prior and the year of his eligibility. Play the sweet spot on the modern cards.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:07 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I would wait to buy for at least a year on this one.

Jeter is still too fresh in people's minds for it to be a good time. Prices will drop by this time next year as the memory fades and then rocket the year prior and the year of his eligibility. Play the sweet spot on the modern cards.
Probably good advice on a card that is by no means scarce. I am trying to take that advice myself.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Probably good advice on a card that is by no means scarce. I am trying to take that advice myself.
agreed

Old 09-23-2016, 07:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

I would buy a Beckett graded one with a high surface score. From what I can tell except perhaps at the ultra high end PSA doesn't really consider scratches and scuffs on the foil and it can be hard to see them on scans. Better yet I wouldn't buy one at all, for a fraction of the cost you can get better looking rookies like Stadium Club and Pinnacle.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I would buy a Beckett graded one with a high surface score. From what I can tell except perhaps at the ultra high end PSA doesn't really consider scratches and scuffs on the foil and it can be hard to see them on scans. Better yet I wouldn't buy one at all, for a fraction of the cost you can get better looking rookies like Stadium Club and Pinnacle.
Interestingly enough, I was looking at BGS 8.5s and 9s in recent days ... primarily at the surface subgrade. The difference in price between PSA and BGS is astonishing. Not sure if it is due to popularity or what has been mentioned here regarding factory cuts. Either way, I feel a purchase is imminent lol.

Certainly an iconic modern card for sure

Old 01-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Well I partially took my own advice, on the surface score.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeter.jpg (74.6 KB, 271 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Ne@l K

Nicely done

Old 01-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Great example peter
Old 01-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Ralph Pr3y€r

X3 nice card
Old 01-22-2017, 10:03 AM

Sweet Jete Peter!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:25 PM

That's nice! What avenue did you purchase the card through?

Last edited by Wannabeoldschool; 01-23-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:39 AM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Well I partially took my own advice, on the surface score.
Given the staggering price differential between a PSA 9 and a BGS 9, any thought to trying for a crossover? I am asking because I have a BGS 9 with the same subs and I have been toying with crossover attempt..though still gun-shy after PSA killed my Ryan/Koosman MB, and this particular card is extremely delicate. Either way, beautiful card, Peter.

Last edited by KingFisk; 02-01-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:16 PM
D@le Irv*n

I don't recall purchasing this pack of 93 Pinnacle's, but it was a nice surprise, when going through some older material that I purchased years ago, to find this Jeter RC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (64.7 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (69.9 KB, 175 views)
Old 02-05-2017, 07:31 AM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
The other big thing to consider is that the card was regularly cut short from the factory, and PSA will send them back ungraded because of "MINSIZREQ" (it didn't meet the minimum size for this set). So people who try PSA and don't get a grade normally send it in to BGS. Many BGS cards that are 9s won't cross to a PSA 9 because of this.
I was never aware of this and it got me wondering if there is a particular red flag on the card for PSA, aside from an actual measurement. It seems the shortness is most pronounced on the ball and the NY on Jeter's cap. My two Jeters are in the pic. I can only measure about a 1/64th difference in the size of my cards, but clearly the ball is clipped off in my Beckett...which is the nicer overall card of the two I own (PSA 8.5 and Beckett 9). My PSA has an awful surface blemish that always bugged me so I ended up eventually getting the other one. Now I am bugged about the size, haha. I still think it is in the threshold of "acceptable" size, but who knows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.8 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by KingFisk; 02-05-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Sean Sullivan

I just got back 2 from PSA, and your photo made me look at mine. I see that I have both versions of the trim, and PSA graded both.
But now the versions are bugging ME. Hahaha.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:15 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Well, if they both measure properly, that's just a case of off-centering. Not really a variation.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:53 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDfan View Post
I just got back 2 from PSA, and your photo made me look at mine. I see that I have both versions of the trim, and PSA graded both.
But now the versions are bugging ME. Hahaha.
Ha...did you submit them raw or were they crossovers?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
Ha...did you submit them raw or were they crossovers?
He submitted them raw.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:16 PM

eBay scan. Pulled the trigger on this today.
Just didn't seem right that this card wasn't in my collection.
Jeter has meant so much to me and my daughter in the trajectory of our lives as baseball fans.
Feeling at peace now.
RayB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93UDJeter279.jpg (72.7 KB, 93 views)
Old 02-08-2017, 04:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Tough grade on that one.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I like that it has a half grade though.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Tough grade on that one.
agreed

Nice card, Ray .... SP set in the future?

Old 02-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Ne@l K

followed Ray's lead, as well as my own thread .... eBay 10% last night called me lol

s-l1600.jpg

seller sent me a few more scans, so I believe it is a solid 8

Old 02-09-2017, 12:29 PM

Atta Boy!
Old 02-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Tony Conte

Nice Jeters.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:00 PM
C@rl P@rk

Nice cards, guys! Surfaces look nice on those scans.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk