NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Thom@s Tayl0r

Default Nolan Ryan 7/30/90 300th win

I have a Nolan Ryan game used 300th win baseball with a Durwood Merrill LOA and a PSA LOA on the baseball and a pass ticket with 7/30/90 win THe Official date of his 300th win is 7/31/90 The Texas Landmarks & Legagies VOL.MMXVII,NO.211 paper has 7/30/90 , Goldin Auction has a 300th win poster in there auction they said was 7/30/90 ,so what I wanted to know is there a Official and Unofficial date of the win.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nolan1.jpg (68.2 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (73.1 KB, 297 views)
File Type: gif nr3.gif (18.0 KB, 293 views)
Old 03-19-2017, 12:06 PM
Doug Goodman

According to Retrosheet, who tend to know what they are talking about, the game was on July 31.

July 30 - Witt gets the win
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...300MIL1990.htm

July 31 - Ryan gets the win
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1...310MIL1990.htm

Doug

PS -
Just a comment, my opinion could be completely worthless, but I hate season passes for every game of a season being marked as a specific game. I'm trying to come up with a witty analogy, but suffice to say I just think it's stupid. But, there are a lot of things about the people who get paid for their opinions that I find stupid.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 03-19-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I agree with your opinion on the season passes. It is true they were good for every game. But as someone who got to use a press pass in the 70's I have to say the pass itself was not a "ticket". We had to go to the ticket window or press window and they would still give us an actual ticket to get into the game. You still need an actual seat number so you still need a ticket. As far as I know you need to do this with every kind of pass. If you could actually get in with the pass where are you legally allowed to sit?

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

It was the 31st. I attended the game. You can find an authentic ticket fairly easily so not sure why you'd get one of those passes. I think the season passes are stupid too. BTW, it was a fantastic game and was well worth my trip to see it. Got lucky on that one.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Thom@s Tayl0r

Durwood Merrill died on 1/11/2003 he has 13 years to correct this ball he has in his collection so that make me think that something must have happened for him to keep it in his collection!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by certainteed52 View Post
Durwood Merrill died on 1/11/2003 he has 13 years to correct this ball he has in his collection so that make me think that something must have happened for him to keep it in his collection!
I'll bet he didn't even know about the mistake.

As somebody who sometimes spends months in a row on tour, I can completely see where those involved were wrong about the date when it happened.

When you spend that much time traveling from city to city, it's easy to forget the exact date and the exact day.

Doug
Old 03-20-2017, 05:03 AM

Hi Certainteed52,

Welcome to net54!
As many on net54 know, I have been an advanced collector of Nolan Ryan since 1972.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Durwood Merrill sold many balls surrounding the months prior to his death that several people in the hobby, including myself, question as being authentic.

The inaccurate date in the inscription on the ball is one issue, which as Doug Goodman mentioned, probably was simply a matter of Merrill forgetting to write the correct date.

More important is the fact that Durwood Merrill did not work in the umpire crew during Nolan Ryan's 300th win game on July 31, 1990.
FYI, the umpire crew that night were Al Clark (who went to prison for selling fake balls to this game, Roger Clemens' 20 K game in 1986 and Cal Ripken's 2131 game), John Hirschbeck, Rocky Roe and Dave Philllips.

I recall an auction that Mike Gutierrez had during the time prior to Merrill's death in 2003 that featured many balls that Merrill claimed were game used balls related to many historic baseball games including stating that some were home run balls. I wondered how an umpire could come to own homerun balls from a game? To Mike G.'s credit, he was forthcoming and did provide Durwood Merrill's home phone number in TX to me and former baseball hobbiest and current composer/author Seth Swirsky. Merrill was affable and claimed that all of these balls were "gifted" to him while he was an AL umpire.

If you take everyone's word at face value, that's fine, but as an excellent rule of thumb, common sense and caution should be used when considering authenticity and provenance.... Just sayin'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nolan Ryan 5,000th K original color photo.jpg (56.6 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-20-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM

Kinda strange the inscription and auto aren't in the same pen.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Kinda strange the inscription and auto aren't in the same pen.
The inscription is in the hand of Durwood Merrill. Ryan signed at a separate time with a different pen.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:58 PM

I guess what I meant to say was the signature looks to be under the spotting while the inscription looks to be on top of it, so I think the real question is how did he tie the ball to the game? Unless he only ever got one from Nolan.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I guess what I meant to say was the signature looks to be under the spotting while the inscription looks to be on top of it, so I think the real question is how did he tie the ball to the game? Unless he only ever got one from Nolan.
The inference was he got it from the umpire crew that worked the game.
But, IMHO this is pretty sketchy provenance because of the indirect (instead of direct) link to the game, plus a HP umpire which was a prosecuted felon and did prison time for faking "game balls" from this game and other historic games.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:08 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
But, IMHO this is pretty sketchy provenance because of the indirect (instead of direct) link to the game, plus a HP umpire which was a prosecuted felon and did prison time for faking "game balls" from this game and other historic games.
Which means that this item can be directly linked to a man convicted of faking the item in question.

Short of a photo match (has there ever been one for a baseball?), I think it's sadly pretty obvious that the odds of this being one of the balls faked by Al Clark are far higher than it being an actual game ball.

On a brighter note, that means this ball was held in the same hand that held every real game ball.

Doug "there is always a bright side" Goodman
Old 03-21-2017, 07:28 PM

I wonder if there is a way you could check it for Delaware river mud?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:05 AM
Thom@s Tayl0r

Quote:
Hi Certainteed52,

Welcome to net54!
As many on net54 know, I have been an advanced collector of Nolan Ryan since 1972.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Durwood Merrill sold many balls surrounding the months prior to his death that several people in the hobby, including myself, question as being authentic.

The inaccurate date in the inscription on the ball is one issue, which as Doug Goodman mentioned, probably was simply a matter of Merrill forgetting to write the correct date.

More important is the fact that Durwood Merrill did not work in the umpire crew during Nolan Ryan's 300th win game on July 31, 1990.
FYI, the umpire crew that night were Al Clark (who went to prison for selling fake balls to this game, Roger Clemens' 20 K game in 1986 and Cal Ripken's 2131 game), John Hirschbeck, Rocky Roe and Dave Philllips.

I recall an auction that Mike Gutierrez had during the time prior to Merrill's death in 2003 that featured many balls that Merrill claimed were game used balls related to many historic baseball games including stating that some were home run balls. I wondered how an umpire could come to own homerun balls from a game? To Mike G.'s credit, he was forthcoming and did provide Durwood Merrill's home phone number in TX to me and former baseball hobbiest and current composer/author Seth Swirsky. Merrill was affable and claimed that all of these balls were "gifted" to him while he was an AL umpire.

If you take everyone's word at face value, that's fine, but as an excellent rule of thumb, common sense and caution should be used when considering authenticity and provenance.... Just sayin'
Hi Scott, So are you saying that some of the AL umpire may have been in some type of collusion like AL Clark!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Hi Scott, So are you saying that some of the AL umpire may have been in some type of collusion like AL Clark!
I thought I provided enough facts in my previous two posts to help clarify, but...
All I am saying is that Al Clark was sent to prison for fraudulently selling game balls to historic games. Durwood Merrill (RIP) sold game balls to games, in my humble opinion and others, that he claimed were historic that the provenance were very suspect. Examples of this are:
1) Home run balls to historic games. How does an umpire ever come to own a HR ball?
Fans catch these in the stands. Common sense would tell you that they don't give these back to umpires...
2) Selling balls to games that he didn't act as an umpire. Provenance is established by providing a direct link to acquiring a piece. How did he acquire game balls from games that he didn't umpire in?
3) If Al Clark is the HP umpire in a game that Merrill sold a ball from and Clark is a felon, that's obviously not good. The HP umpire plays a big role in controlling the game balls from a particular game. Since Merrill didn't ump this game, did he get his ball from Clark the felon? If yes, how can you feel with any confidence that the ball is legit?
Clark went to prison for selling fraudulent balls from Nolan Ryan's 300th win & other historic games.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-22-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Thom@s Tayl0r

I respect your opinion!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I remember seeing a bunch of the Durwood Merrill baseballs. I was interested because he had a McGwire homerun ball. I thought, maybe it was legit if the ball bounced back on the field and got tossed to the infield. Maybe the ump asked for it or told the ball boy to put it aside. But after looking up the boxscore and seeing he wasn't even at the game I turned it down. It's starts getting too sketchy when it wasn't obtained first hand.

There are some major auction houses, who I won't name because they read this board, that list homerun or game used baseballs and don't mention how they got them or any provenance.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears

Last edited by mcgwirecom; 03-22-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:48 AM
Thom@s Tayl0r

Is it true that Nolan Ryan and Durwood Merrill were good friends?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Is it true that Nolan Ryan and Durwood Merrill were good friends?
True
Old 03-25-2017, 08:20 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
The HP umpire plays a big role in controlling the game balls from a particular game.
How?

Once a ball is taken out of play it's dead.

The only "control" I can think of is when the umpire reaches into his pocket to put a new ball in play. And "control" is an extreme word in this context, because the ball is randomly chosen from all the baseballs in his pocket. It's not like he pulls a ball, decides he doesn't like it, pulls another ball and tosses that one to the pitcher, then puts the rejected ball back in his pocket.

(At the risk of undermining my own point, I suppose the umpire could "legitimately" not like a particular ball because he feels it's defective for some reason. But in that case, he'd toss the defective ball to the batboy, right?)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
How?

Once a ball is taken out of play it's dead.

The only "control" I can think of is when the umpire reaches into his pocket to put a new ball in play. And "control" is an extreme word in this context, because the ball is randomly chosen from all the baseballs in his pocket. It's not like he pulls a ball, decides he doesn't like it, pulls another ball and tosses that one to the pitcher, then puts the rejected ball back in his pocket.

(At the risk of undermining my own point, I suppose the umpire could "legitimately" not like a particular ball because he feels it's defective for some reason. But in that case, he'd toss the defective ball to the batboy, right?)
Hi Gary,
My point is that the HP umpire is the only umpire in the crew that holds onto balls prior to them being brought into play as well as removing them from play. The HP umpire does toss balls out that he feels are scuffed, damaged, etc. to the ball boy. Additionally, if additional balls need to come into the game during an inning of play, the ball boy brings more out to the HP umpire. The other three umpires do not actively participate in these activities.
I hope this helps clarify what I meant...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-26-2017 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:09 AM
Thom@s Tayl0r

Gary I 100% agree! Your thinking is unbiased I think that is always good when talking about someone legitimacy.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Thom@s Tayl0r

Default Tacky yellow on baseball

On the Nolan Ryan 300th win baseball I took it out of the PSA holder wearing latex gloves the yellowing on the baseball has a tacky feel it this something that may have been used in a game, does anyone have any ideal what this could be?
Old 04-15-2017, 11:35 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
On the Nolan Ryan 300th win baseball I took it out of the PSA holder wearing latex gloves the yellowing on the baseball has a tacky feel it this something that may have been used in a game, does anyone have any ideal what this could be?

The ball was probably used in a major league game, but NOT NECESSARILY Nolan Ryan's 300th win. In fact, I would say the odds are bad that it is from Nolan Ryan's 300th win.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 04-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Thom@s Tayl0r

Hi Steve I respect your opinion but what would make the odds bad this baseball came from one of Nolan Ryan best friends why would Nolan Ryan not speak up if it was not legitimate!

Last edited by certainteed52; 04-15-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:06 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Hi Steve I respect your opinion but what would make the odds bad this baseball came from one of Nolan Ryan best friends why would Nolan Ryan not speak up if it was not legitimate!

Just read the previous posts.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 04-15-2017, 09:42 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Nolan signed a ball for his friend, everything else probably happened after, so Nolan had no reason to "speak up".

There is reasonable doubt about the ball being from his 300th win game, and there is no way to prove that it is.

Doug
Old 04-16-2017, 11:44 AM
Thom@s Tayl0r

Hi Doug and Steve the big words here is PROBABLY and REASONABLE DOUBT no one has ever provided any proof to say it is not why is it so hard to say that Nolan Ryan could have gave his friend one of his 300th win game baseball.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Hi Doug and Steve the big words here is PROBABLY and REASONABLE DOUBT no one has ever provided any proof to say it is not why is it so hard to say that Nolan Ryan could have gave his friend one of his 300th win game baseball.
Probably for the same reason you can't say this ball has an even better chance of passing through Al Clark's hands. None of us was there. How about you provide some proof that it is?

You, sir, are vested in this being a ball from Ryan's 300th win. And it quite possibly could be. But most of us are looking at it from a more scientific standpoint: prove it's RIGHT. And there are too many reasons to believe it's not.

Sorry.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Thom@s Tayl0r

For example,in criminal cases, the BURDEN OF PROVING the defendant's guilt is on the prosecution,and they must establish that fact beyond a reasonable doubt.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:26 PM
Chris

Last edited by Bestdj777; 04-16-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Thom@s Tayl0r

If this was just about the baseball I would agree but this about AL umpire Durwood Merrill some of the opinions are coming close to saying he committed FRAUD.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
The important part of this conversation is that you can not prove that the ball is from that game.

This thread started because YOU were questioning the ball.

Doug "Believe what you want" Goodman
Old 04-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
If this was just about the baseball I would agree but this about AL umpire Durwood Merrill some of the opinions are coming close to saying he committed FRAUD.
It is easier for me to believe that Durwood Merrill committed fraud than it is to believe that the ball is from Nolan Ryan's 300th victory.

Merrill was not at the game.

The home plate umpire who was at the game went to prison for fraud, in regards to baseball from this game.

Merrill could have been given the ball by the home plate umpire who worked the game, and been told that it was from that game, and believed him, so he didn't necessarily commit fraud, but the ball can't be proven to be real, either way.

The ball COULD be real. Maybe. Possibly.

Probably not.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-16-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Thom@s Tayl0r

Hi Doug Yes you are right but that could go for 90% of any game used memorabilia.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
For example,in criminal cases, the BURDEN OF PROVING the defendant's guilt is on the prosecution,and they must establish that fact beyond a reasonable doubt.
Yes, exactly, and in this case the "defendant's guilt" = "ball being from Ryan's 300th game".

That makes you the prosecution.

Doug "the hanging judge" Goodman
Old 04-16-2017, 05:02 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Hi Doug Yes you are right but that could go for 90% of any game used memorabilia.
Yep, which is why I do not buy game used memorabilia.

Doug "if you can't prove it's real, then it's not" Goodman
Old 04-16-2017, 05:09 PM

Provenance is literally everything with game used collectibles, otherwise it's a leap of faith....
Old 04-16-2017, 05:13 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Provenance is literally everything with game used collectibles, otherwise it's a leap of faith....
And even provenance can turn into a leap of faith.

Before Al Clark got caught and went to prison, his word, as the home plate umpire for the game, would have been considered good provenance.

But then it wasn't.

Doug "just about everybody has a price" Goodman
Old 04-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Thom@s Tayl0r

My original post was about the date on the baseball not about it legitimacy and some of the opinion move it to where we are now.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
My original post was about the date on the baseball not about it legitimacy and some of the opinion move it to where we are now.
When you open Pandora's Box to get something, you are stuck with everything that comes out.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Remember, I'm the guy who thinks that the wrong date is easy to explain. See post #6 in this thread.

Doug "at least the autograph is real" Goodman

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-16-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Thom@s Tayl0r

Doug you are so right!!!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
And even provenance can turn into a leap of faith.

Before Al Clark got caught and went to prison, his word, as the home plate umpire for the game, would have been considered good provenance.

But then it wasn't.

Doug "just about everybody has a price" Goodman
Yup
Old 04-16-2017, 07:51 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

As a life-long Nolan Ryan fan and collector, I want to believe the ball is a real game-used ball from his 300th win; that is an item that would be the centerpiece of my collection. Then again, I've wanted to believe alot of things were real, that turned out to not be real.

Basically, for me, it comes down to this:

Are there factors about the ball that say it COULD BE real? Yes.

The problem is, there are MORE factors regarding the ball, as Doug has clearly pointed out (and that I remember reading about personally "back in the day") that lead a "REASONABLE" person to believe the ball IS NOT real.

So, while it COULD BE real, a PREPONDERANCE OF THE EVIDENCE, indicates it is MORE LIKELY to be NOT real.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 04-16-2017, 09:06 PM
Thom@s Tayl0r

Hi Steve D. I am curious What do you think happened to the baseball that you consider real from the 300th win game?