NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Default A GREAT card collector, now has Cancer and need Our Help!!

Posted By: BigKidAtHeart

You really should read this thread
where everyone is helping to raise money
for Carlos Aponte (or Carkim on the PSA boards)

He has cancer and is swamped with medical bills.
(to the tune of like $20,000 bucks!)

Please read it, and help as much as you can!

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=209918>

PLEASE FORWARD THIS LINK TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS
YOU CAN THAT COLLECT CARDS AND EVERY ONE OF THEM NEEDS TO GET A LINK TO THIS THREAD.

anyone who collects anything can appreciate the problems that Carlos is having... thinking of selling off the most beloved set he has, just to pay unexpected bills! THAT is terrible.

Thanks
~jeff cornett

edited to remove signature line

Elliot

Old 07-30-2003, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

That's pretty heartless to advertise on this supposed tragic situation.

Old 07-30-2003, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 07-30-2003, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gemint

I think that link was in his sig line. I seriously doubt he was trying to exploit this situation. I hope you'll help out Carlos. He's been battling cancer for quite a while now. We all know how expensive hospital stays can be.

Old 07-30-2003, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Here is the address:

Carlos D. Aponte
2218 Deerfield Drive
Ashtabula, OH
44004-9233

PAYPAL

aponte@adelphia.net

Old 07-30-2003, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

Lee,that ad is his signiature not something he put at the bottom just now......Julie,try actually reading the thread and you will find his paypal address listed twice

Old 07-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: botn

You are misreading the intentions of his post. It was done for the benefit of someone who has been ill. There are a number of people on the CU board that have never met Carlos and some of us, like myself, who probably have never even written to him, yet we still contributed something for the cause.

Greg

Old 07-31-2003, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I see someone HAS posted it now. For good measure: aponte@adelphia.net

Old 07-31-2003, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Why are we condoneing this? The thread is posted by someone I have never seen post before, the link shows no proof to the fact that this person has these medicail bills, and the person posting is advertising something.
If you also check the cancer person he is actively buying on ebay, why does he need the money?
This seems no different to me than the ebay scam we keep bringing up and hate so badly.
This guy may have cancer but there is NO proof he needs the money or even wants it. Where is this money going? Questions to ask before donating.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mckee

I am a surviving cancer patient. My medical bill was 48 pages long and well over $20K after page 10. This was in 1988. I feel for everyone and anyone who has this nasty crap, it isn't fun at all. However, I have a problem with people who do not have medical insurance of some kind. Most all employers, including blue collar as well, offer some type of medical insurance. If an employee chooses not to pay for it, then that is gambling. Thank god I had it! If he is unemployeed and doesn't have it, then he is truly in a bad situation. My best wishes go out to him. Dan

Old 07-31-2003, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mrc32

I don't know Carlos, but he is a longtime valued member of the CU message boards. He has been battling illness for the better part of this year.

If you choose to be skeptical, that is your right if you know nothing of his situation.

Also- a little backgorund on Carlos and his 1972 set. He worked long and hard on it before getting sick with cancer. He decided to give it up due to his illness, but was convinced to continue the project as a way to focus on what he loved about life.

Don't donate if you don't want to, but don't try and make this seem like a scam.

Old 07-31-2003, 08:55 AM
Administrator

I understand that this guy has cancer, but where is this money going too? It seems as though he has nothing to do with it. If you read the CU link it seems to be an idea of board member or members.
Does anyone here know Jeff Cornett? I still have a big problem that he posts this story on our forum and posts that advertising on it, truly classless.
If the money does go to Carlos great, but someone trying to benefit from anyone's illness is a piece of crap. There are still too many unanswered questions for me to think of even sending $5.

Just my opinion, I don't know what the difference between finding cards in Grandpa's attic and some guy we don't know asking for money for a guy that has cancer.

Lee

Old 07-31-2003, 09:38 AM
Administrator

The money will go directly to Carlos if you Paypal to the account I posted or mail funds to the address I provided. I'm sure BKAH would take out the sig line if you can edit a post after the fact. Like I said, I think it is part of his standard signature line and was not intentional.

Many of us from the CU forums don't post here often because we don't focus on pre-war cards. The post was made to extend the plea for help to a wider collector base. A similar post was made on the Beckett and SGC forums. It's strictly voluntary and, as you can see from the CU forum thread, people have been coming out of the woodwork to help him out. From donating money to donating cards listed on eBay.

Old 07-31-2003, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

In the end, whether or not to donate money to Carlos is a personal decission and there's really no need for board dicussion on the subject. I wish Carlos well and I will think about him, but I will not be donating money. I've never heard of him before and do not feel comfortable donating money. I think doing good is important, whether donating money to a charity or unexpectedly calling up your mom and saying that you love her or being nice to strangers. If we each do one good thing today, whether or not it involves Carlos, that will be a positive result of Mr. Cornett's posts, and I'm sure Carlos will be glad to know that he indirectly convenced even the bastards on Network54 to do something positive.

Old 07-31-2003, 03:15 PM
Administrator

I should point out that I consider my posts to this board to be charity work. So I excuse from doing anything extra today.

Old 07-31-2003, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

It's not like "I found these really sweet cards in Grandpa's atteck"--where you might well want to look for something a bit more promising. This guy's friends claim he has cancer, and he himself talks about 20K in doctor bills.

Take a chance he's telling the truth and send $25. I did.

Old 07-31-2003, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anothercollector

From what I see, the guy doesn't want the money
and be viewed as a charity case. Instead of sending
money, how about a nice get well card (you can
even send it through email at BlueMountain.com...
it's free and thoughtful!!) it only will take
5 minutes of your time and it will show that your
thinking of him

Old 07-31-2003, 05:31 PM
Administrator

I do believe that Carlos has health issues and wish the best. It is just the fact of the way it was approached by Jeff Cornett to the Network 54 board that bothered me the most. he could have easily emailed elliott or another frequent board participant, or at least introduce himself. (There still seems to be no answer as to who the guy is).

Thank You Elliott for eliminating that shameful advertising.

Once again I wish Carlos the best.

Lee

Old 07-31-2003, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Horowitz

Lee, what is your ebay ID, I want to make sure I never buy anything from you. You seem like a real big fat prick. Have a nice day.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:21 PM
Administrator

I am VERY Sorry. I would have been back to explain (and defend my post) sooner, but I did not know there was a problem until someone emailed me.

First, that I upset you or anyone else with a signature line that I had set up months ago, without thinking about how it would effect posts because I honestly never dreamed I would be dealing with this kind of topic. (thanks to whoever removed it, and it was not even an "ad" for me, but my father's)

That being said, you are also right that I do not normally post here. I am only even registered here because someone used my "handle" of BigKidAtHeart on the SGC message boards a while back, and tried posting horrible things in order to make me look bad. I since registered the name at any and all sites I could to try and prevent that sort of ridiculous stuff from happening to me again.

I only posted this message here for one reason... TO HELP A FELLOW COLLECTOR. Others have posted this on the SGC boards, and the Beckett boards. If I knew of anyother boards to post it on I ASSURE YOU I would not hesitate to post it there too!! I have NOTHING to gain from it.

ALSO, (And READ THIS CAREFULLY SO WE ARE ALL CLEAR)
Carlos DID NOT ASK FOR MONEY! This was a "grassroots" movement from his longtime friends and fellow collectors and even customers that found out he was going to sell a precious set of cards, in order to pay off mounting medical bills due to cancer. IN FACT, carlos did NOT want this money or the attention... it was his Wife that encouraged him to be gracious and accept our generosity.

As to who I am - many of the people who frequent the PSA boards know me (too well cause I never shut up and have an opinion on everything....) but basically I am a married, 37 year old, from Birmingham, Alabama (Auburn Fan!) who is back in college full-time (UAB)for Elementary Education, after a 15 year career in radio. I have a 1 year old adopted son (Eli)

I collect several different sets, mostly vintage (56 topps, 66 topps, 64 topps giants, and others. I look for Campanella, Mays, Aaron, Robinson, Don Newcombe, etc. too)
Not sure what else you want to know... I am a Republican. (others know that well too.)
and I think that most everyone that knows me from the other boards will tell you that while I am too opinionated and headstrong... I am honest. I know that my ebay customers will, and other members I have bought of sold from will... You will just have to take my word or their word for it.

As to the "why does he need the money" part; Carlos has addressed that in a very detailed explanation (& mini bio) on the "other thread" (which again is: http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=209918 ) but Basically he was too sick after the chemotherapy to work for several months. I am not sure if he had insurance, but it sounds like he has lost it (not uncommon for seriously ill patients to LOSE coverage) and even with insurance - at least 20% is not covered.

EVERYONE,
Please know that I do not expect all people to care, or want to contribute. Some have just sent an email,
or passed on a promise to pray. I gave $50 which for me right now (about to not work for 3 months while I student teach) is a lot, but others have given as little a $5 and as much as $500

I just want you to think about it. Read the thread. If you have questions EMAIL CARLOS or someone in the thread or even me. Even if you do know send any money, you can tell others about it.

One other member even suggested getting SCD to do a story on it... well I assure you that Beckett, SCD and the SMR will all get the info. Maybe they will publish it, but if not, we at least helped a fellow collector, did a good thing, and made the world a better place, if just for a moment.

I hope this clears things up from the "who is that guy" and "what is this about" perspectives. Feel free to Email me directly if you want anything else.

Thanks again for your understanding (and participation if you contributed.)

~jeff cornett

Old 07-31-2003, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Sorry again...

The last post was supposed to be to "Lee Behrens and everyone"

not

Lee Abrahams.

DOH!

(sorry but I did not know how to EDIT my last post to change it...

~jeff cornett

Old 07-31-2003, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: todd (nolemmings)

Welcome to the board. I am sorry to hear that Carlos or anyone else is afflicted by that insidious disease.

Please feel free and welcome to post here whenever you wish-- I would not mind useful posts on your collecting interests, particularly as I share them and it has not yet been spelled out specifically what falls within the term "vintage".

I would ask that you seek help on your apparently horrible habit of rooting for Auburn, however, or anyone from the SEC, for that matter. I may be willing to provide proper orientation on how to enjoy college athletics and appreciate the classier conferences, if you wish
regards................Todd

Old 07-31-2003, 06:39 PM
Administrator

There are several people doing Ebay Auctions to
raise money for Carlos. (similar to what ebay did after 9/11)

This is a good alternative for anyone not wanting to just GIVE money. If you buy on these auctions you will get a card you like, and the money will go to carlos. Win/Win! (and no I am not spamming my own stuff - these are other people and have listed them on the PSA site... I am just passing the links along.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2744192119&category=636&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=2744985161

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2745166681

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2744192119&category=636&rd=1

Old 07-31-2003, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan

Let's give this soul the benefit of doubt and either contribute or not. Though he is not a vintage pre-war collector, he still shares the love of cardboard as we do. Most of all, he is a human being going through a complete nightmare! I feel for him as I was once there. Dan.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Todd
thanks for the welcome!

I will likely post more in the future...
(if it is ok with Lee)

Old 07-31-2003, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Jeff is a good guy. He has great passion.

As for Carlos, regardless of what anyone decides to do -- please send good thoughts and hopes his way.

Thanks

Old 07-31-2003, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Three25hits

my screen name didn't make it in the last post. apologies.

Old 07-31-2003, 07:10 PM
Administrator

PLEASE READ this post FROM CARLOS HIMSELF, that has recently been posted SINCE THE MONEY WE BEGAN COLLECTING has started to arrive:

It explains who he is and what has happened.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=210173

Old 07-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank

Hi...I'm new posting to the board, although I've been reading it for awhile now. I've been inspired by a recent article in Beckett Vintage by Keith Olbermann to start collecting T205 cards. I am a regular poster on the PSA board and I'm very familiar with Carlos Aponte's medical condition over the past 8 months. Many of us have been trying to help Carlos, despite his resistance to a "handout". Jeff Cornett has been absolutelty outstanding in getting the word out on our fellow collector. Jeff is a solid guy. Don't hold his compassion for a man in need against him Thanks.

Frank

Old 07-31-2003, 08:05 PM
Administrator

I just want to Thank Jeff for explaining his end of the situation. It helps to clear up his making the original post, and YES, Jeff, WELCOME to the Network 54 board.

And once again I hope everything goes well in the future.

Old 07-31-2003, 08:19 PM
Administrator

My ebay name is bowlingshoegiverouterguy. It is your right to not bid on my auctions if you feel. You will find that I am well respected among the board participants. The questions I posed were legitimate to the situation that was put in front us. And did do a little research before posting. I made NO personal attacks if you read my posts only questions to the legimatcy of the original posts. There is alot of questions on the board about getiing scammed on ebay and I felt this was no different with the lack of background to the original post. This seems to have been cleared up nicely by Jeff.

Mike Wentz called my brother a dunderhead. It must be some relation to a Big Fat Prick.

Lee

Old 07-31-2003, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vayank

Folks,

Thankfully, it appears this has all been cleared. This is not a scam -- though I wish it was. Then Carlos Aponte would be cancer free Like most folks, I have never met Carlos Aponte, but he has shown to be a collector's collector. I kicked in $25. I hope you all can do even more.

Matthew Natale
Building a SGC 1977 Topps Set
33% complete

Old 07-31-2003, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Lee's a good and fair guy. In his defence, all of a sudden a bunch of guys who had never posted before came to this board asking for us to donate money to someone Lee had never heard of before and, frankly, neither had I. I do not see how it was unreasonable for Lee to ask questions or ask for some sort of verification. I am cofident that if a stranger to the PSA board had (cross)posted simularly, that there would be similar questioning.

Personally, I beleive that Carlos' plight is real, in part because a number of legitimate people have all vouched for him. I also wish that people, including Mr. Horowitz, will not hold anything against Lee, as I don't beleive that would be fair. I don't that in a time of charity, vindictiveness is fitting. I will voich for Lee's charector, and hope that strangers to the board will accept this.

Old 08-01-2003, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: vayank

I agree it is not inappropriate for existing posters to wonder about new posters like myself -- especially with a post, which touches on this type of topic. For myself, you can check the SGC message Board and see my 1977 Topps thread. As for the PSA heads, trust me they are on fire about this one. They are definitely circling the wagons.

Matthew Natale
Building a SGC 1977 Topps Set

Old 08-01-2003, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I also agreed with Lee, and agree with David. I understand completely how people trying to support someone with cancer will do whatever it takes, including posting for the first time on a board that is a stretch (Vintage baseball is basically pre-wwII, which is not really what the guys on the PSA board deal with).

But I have no problem with any of that - what raised my eyebrows was the ad for the mountain resort at the bottom of the post...perhaps completely kosher, but you won't see that sort of thing on the bottom of any other board member's posts. Maybe if the ad had also included that 15% of all money spent at the resort would go toward a cancer fund, then that would be different.

Eat at Joe's

Old 08-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Scott,

I beleive that it is common for CU posters to have an automatic tag/advertisment at the bottom of their posts ('My eBay auctions', 'Visit my website', picture of such and such, other). So I, for one, am considering it nothing more than a board faux pax.

Old 08-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Mike Horowitz,

Carlos' plight is indeed unfortunate and I plan on making a donation.

That being said, I met Lee at last year's National convention and I found him to be both intelligent and congenial. Your comments about him are severely misguided.

Old 08-03-2003, 09:52 AM
Administrator

ok, again,
I am sorry about the initial sig line.

Like has been expressed, on most every board and my email it is a pre-set sig that is automatically attached.

IF there was an edit feature I would have changed it, but thankfully someone (a moderator I assume) did it for me. Thanks.

DO NOT THINK FOR ONE SECOND THAT I WAS TRYING TO GET ANYTHING FOR ME. THAT IS JUST NOT TRUE!

I am just trying to raise awarness about the collector's plight.

AS TO THE COMMENT about VINTAGE is only pre-ww2...
that is the "card-snob's" definition, and not accurate in my mind. REGARDLESS, the sets that Carlos (the person with cancer) collected were 50's, 60's and 70's
and BESIDES... WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE! He is a fellow collector and if YOU were in trouble or had this Cancer, you would not want others to say,
"well, he did not collect what I THINK is the best sets, so I am not going to help him!"
OF course not! Cause that would be dumb.

IF anyone has any other comments or questions about ME, My post, My removed sig line, or HELPING CARLOS,
Please just email me.
Jeff@cornett.com

~jeff cornett

Old 08-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Administrator

I am not sure if you guys are PSA users or if you all use SGC, but the powers that be at PSA are holding a "raffle" for 10 FREE Gradings!
With ALL THE MONEY going to Carlos and his family!

got to this webpage for specific details on how you all can get in on it!
http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=37&threadid=211466>

~jeff cornett

edited to remove sig line