NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 PM
David Kathman

Default Hobby history: Card dealers of the early 1960s, part 1: Taylor vs. Gelman

In a recent post, I recounted the story of the earliest card dealers in the 1950s, specifically Sam Rosen, his stepson Woody Gelman, and Gordon B. Taylor. (You can read that post here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=233137.) I had originally planned to take that post into the mid-60s, but I had so much material that I had to stop at 1960. Now it looks like it will take at least three posts to cover all the material I wanted to, so that's what I'll do. This post will cover Taylor and Gelman in 1960-61 and beyond, and the next post will cover Marshall Oreck, Bruce Yeko, and other influential dealers who rose to prominence a few years later.

As 1960 dawned, the card collecting hobby was coming off several years of solid growth, and two dealers dominated the organized hobby: Gordon B. Taylor, and the Card Collectors' Company, owned by Woody Gelman, the art director of Topps. Both men were card collectors in their own right, and Gelman was one of the editors of the 1953 and 1960 editions of the American Card Catalog. As I recounted in that earlier post, Taylor and Gelman had a healthy competition going in the late 1950s, each one very aware of what the other was doing. In August 1958, Taylor launched a four-page magazine, Card Comments, to promote his business and card collecting in general; in March 1959, Gelman came out with a typeset pricelist, and the following month he lauched his own hobby magazine, The Card Collector, which was also typeset and looked nicer than Card Comments.

With the January 1960 issue of Card Comments, Taylor expanded the publication to fourteen 8.5" x 11" pages, up from sixteen pages half that size (5.75" x 8.5") in December 1959. The first two pages of that first larger issue were an illustrated profile of Taylor's card business, showing the office and a couple of his employees. I posted that article last May (in this thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221922), but I'm including it again below to give an idea of what Taylor's business was like:

This larger size only lasted eight issues (January through August 1960) before Taylor decided to go in a different direction. Starting with the September 1960 issue, Card Comments went to a 5.5" x 8.25" size, but the pages were photographically reduced so that the same amount of text fit on each page as in the old 8.5" x 11" size. It was still typewritten rather than typeset, but it looked better than the 1958-59 version. That September 1960 issue also contained (tucked away on page 20) Taylor's announcement of TRADING CARD COLLECTORS OF AMERICA, a club that cost $5 a year to join. At the same time, Taylor revamped his price list, turning it from a 4-page typewritten list (shown at the end of my previous post) into a 40-page 5" x 7" booklet with descriptions of each set and a section at the back containing illustrations of all the sports sets, the first time such illustrations had been provided by a dealer.

Below are the first two editorial pages of the October 1960 Card Comments, with Taylor's description of the new price list on p. 2 and a progress report on Trading Card Collectors of America on p. 3. He already had 37 members from five states, and he had high ambitions for this organization, including a national convention and local chapters meeting monthly. (I suspect he didn't know about Bob Jaspersen's failed attempt to organize a national sports collectors' convention in 1956, which I wrote about here: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221393.) Below that, I've scanned the cover of Taylor's new 40-page price list, along with six pages from it, including promos for Trading Card Collectors of America and Card Comments, prices for 1951-1957 Topps baseball, and illustrations of 1951-59 Topps.

Woody Gelman did not take long to respond. Although The Card Collector had been billed as coming out bimonthly, and it looked nice, publication was somewhat erratic in practice, with the first eight issues being dated 4/15/59, 6/14/59, 7/15/59, 9/1/59, 12/1/59, 3/1/60, 6/20/60, and 9/20/60. I suspect that this was because it was basically a one-man operation, and Gelman was busy with his job at Topps, as well as running the Card Collectors' Company and helping with the American Card Catalog. With Gordon Taylor stepping up his game, Gelman realized that he couldn't do this all by himself and still compete, so he decided to delegate editorial duties. In the December 1, 1960 Card Collector, Gelman announced that the publication's new editor would be "the well-known collector Jim Zak". Zak was only 17 or 18 years old, but he had been active in the hobby for a while, and his age matched the target demographic of both The Card Collector and Card Comments, which was teenage and preteen boys (to judge by the letters to the editor and reader profiles).

Below are the front pages of issues 9 through 12 of The Card Collector, including Gelman's announcement of Zak's appointment and Zak's first three editorials with his plans for the publication. In the May 15, 1961 issue, he announced the formation of the "Card Collectors Club". This was a blatant copy of Taylor's "Trading Card Collectors of America", with the same yearly dues ($5) and same benefits (membership card and number, subscription, 10% discount). But Zak offered an additional treat: an original pen and ink drawing that had appeared on a Topps baseball card, obviously obtained from his boss Woody Gelman. I don't know how many such original drawings survive today, but I imagine they would go for a pretty penny at auction; here, though, they were seen as disposable trifles, offered to boost membership in a card collecting club.

It was at about this time that Gordon B. Taylor began running into trouble, though probably not due to anything that Zak and Gelman did. On the surface, his Card Comments seems to have been quite successful in its new format, with 24 or 28 pages each month from September 1960 to April 1961, and plenty of interesting articles about various sets. In the February 1961 issue (vol. 3, no. 7), Taylor announced a deal where his customers would get Gold Bond trading stamps with every purchase, and he also announced the availability of hardcover, gold-stamped "Taylor albums" to hold specific sets, starting with the 1961 Fleer All-Time Greats and 1961 Topps baseball:

In the April 1961 issue, Taylor had a cranky editorial about how bad the 1961 Topps baseball cards were (compare this with Jim Zak's praise for the 1961 Topps set in the June 15, 1961 Card Collector, scanned above), and on the back page of that issue he printed an apology for the issue being late, saying that he has been too busy. By the way, that is future "The Monster" author Bill Heitman sorting his T205s in the picture with his brother; if you want to read the second page of that article, I posted it in this thread: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219136.

As far as I know, no issue of Card Comments appeared for the next five months, until September 1961. When that next issue finally came out in September, Taylor labeled it "vols. 3 & 4, nos. 11-12 & 1-2", and inside he began his editorial breezily with "Here we are -- right on time with the September issue", as if he meant all along to have a five-month break.

Taylor's excuse for the break in publication was that "we have been busy moving our offices to new and larger quarters", and he claimed to be "back on a 24-hour shipping schedule". He wrote enthusiastically about future issues and the coming year, but in fact this was the last issue of Card Comments, and Taylor soon sold his card inventory to M. A. Kohler and disappeared from sight.

It's not clear to me exactly what happened, but it's possible to hazard some guesses. Bruce Yeko, then an active dealer but living in Milwaukee, said in his 2011 interview with George Vrechek (which you can read here: http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/Bruce_Yeko.pdf) that "Taylor got into trouble with another part-time mail-order business he owned and abruptly disappeared." I don't know about that, but it seems likely to me that Taylor was trying to expand his card business too fast and overextended himself financially. He was marketing new products like his "Taylor Albums" and moving to a new and bigger space (in New York City!) at a time when the card market was going through a bit of a rough patch. Evidence for this comes from the troubles that The Card Collector, was going through a year later. Even with his main competition gone, Jim Zak wrote an editorial for the May 30, 1962 Card Collector basically begging his readers to solicit subscriptions from their friends, and the following month he wrote that the paper was losing $600 a year and would be limited to 8 pages until subscriptions picked up.

After the September 1962 issue, The Card Collector did not come out with a new issue for six months. When a new issue finally appeared, in March 1963, it consisted of six 8.5" x 11" sheets stapled together and was typewritten rather than typeset to save money. Zak's apologetic editorial promised that "we will strive to be bigger and better for '63", but after only two more issues in the same format (dated May 31 and September 1, 1963), Zak announced that The Card Collector would be suspending publication for a while, because "The card business, over the past year, has been very poor and despite every attempt at economy we are still losing quite a bit of money on the Card Collector."

As you can see above, Zak promised to try to come out with a four-page "newsletter", and in fact he did come out with a new issue of The Card Collector dated November 1, 1963, typeset using the old format, but consisting of a single 9" x 12" sheet of paper folded in half to make four pages. He did in fact continue to publish it monthly for a while, and in the March 1964 issue he started a monthly auction. But this revival lasted for less than a year, and the August 30, 1964 issue of The Card Collector was the last one.

Despite the demise of The Card Collector, Woody Gelman's Card Collectors' Company made it through all this unscathed, and continued to be one of the biggest card dealers in the country for another couple of decades. Here are the front pages of their 1962 and 1963 price lists, which now included thumbnail pictures of a sample card from each set.

Note that Gelman was charging a premium for 1962 and 1963 cards of Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle -- an early example of charging extra for star cards. This would become a more prevalent practice over the next few years, fueled by newly prominent dealers who became major competitors to The Card Collectors' Company. But that will have to wait for the next post.

Last edited by trdcrdkid; 01-05-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:29 PM
David Kathman

Here is the last issue of The Card Collector, which I couldn't fit in the post itself because there were too many images.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:35 AM

Default Another great post David!

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into these interesting and informative posts David--it is much appreciated and I enjoy reading them!

I just mailed a check to Gordon B. Taylor for all the sets from 52-59. The 52 is a bit pricey at 79 bucks but I decided it might be worth it. Hopefully they ship my order fairly quickly!
Old 01-05-2017, 04:52 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

OK, this is really fantastic stuff! I do hope you compile all of this into a book or website someday.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:42 AM
Sean Costello

Great stuff. It even includes a young Bill Heitman at age eleven.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I love this. As so many older dealers and collectors pass it is so useful to see what the past generations created. Thanks for posting. I second the motion for a history of collecting book.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-05-2017, 10:48 AM
Mike Lenart

This is great! Thank you.

Can't wait for the next part as that will be the time I started collecting.

Mike
Old 01-05-2017, 02:16 PM
Brian

Last edited by HistoricNewspapers; 01-05-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Mike

Thanks for the great articles.

Seems like the articles always refer to the 1958 Topps cards # 443,446,450 and 462 as short printed -rare- very scarce. Any idea how short printed as opposed to the rest of the cards in the set ? Seems like they are not short printed when you look on ebay.

Last edited by insidethewrapper; 01-05-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:46 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
OK, this is really fantastic stuff! I do hope you compile all of this into a book or website someday.
+1

I would definitely buy that book!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Larry

Fascinating!!! Shows us how incredibly far we have come!

Highest regards,

Larry
Old 01-05-2017, 05:19 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Thanks for the great articles.

Seems like the articles always refer to the 1958 Topps cards # 443,446,450 and 462 as short printed -rare- very scarce. Any idea how short printed as opposed to the rest of the cards in the set ? Seems like they are not short printed when you look on ebay.
Those four cards are identified as short prints in all the modern checklists, and SMR lists them at about twice the value of other commons:

http://www.psacard.com/smrpriceguide...958-topps/1159

What interests me is the fact that the hobby knew so early on that those four numbers in 1958 were short prints, when it took them years to figure out the relative scarcity of Series in some other years.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Brian Daniels

Default Where?

Is David Festberg?!
😏
Old 01-06-2017, 12:37 AM

david nice articles and research. thank you for the effort.

since you are from chi town you probably know jim zak, jim was a fixture at chi town card shows through the 80's and at least into the 90's.

jim was a real nice person, don't know what he is up to know but i wish him all the best. also his connection with gelman is something jim did not discuss much.

it sounds like jim zak, as a true hobby pioneer, would be a fantastic interview subject. in the 90's i think he was living in berwyn. has anyone ever done an interview with jim zak??
Old 01-06-2017, 07:23 AM

I am so impressed by this. Great job OP!!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:58 AM

David these articles are a fantastic look at the history of the development of the hobby. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Many decades ago my much older brother gifted me either the 1962 or 1963 Card Collector's catalog, the only bit of hobby ephemera that he had saved, and which I still have buried somewhere. I always found it fascinating to ponder what my brother could have ordered (I don't believe he ever did any mail ordering), and now can place it within the history of the hobby dealer, thanks to your postings.

Thanks again, and looking forward to the next salvo...

Brian
Old 01-06-2017, 01:14 PM
Mike

I remember my dad ordering the 1958 Topps Set in 1958 and receiving each series through out the summer. I couldn't wait for the mailman to come each day. I wish I would have received the 1952 Topps Set which is listed for $ 79. But as a 7 year old I didn't even know what a 1952 Topps card looked like.

Did anyone on here ever order the 1952 Topps set for $ 79 or less ?
Old 09-12-2021, 12:35 PM

Default 1958 topps short prints

I bought the 1958s in wax packs of 6 cards with bubble gum in the Chicago neighborhoods, at ma and pa grocery stores or local Walgreen’s. Those 4 cards, Harrell, Ward, Geiger and Hardy were simply not included in those wax packs—they were the only unmarked cards on my topps series checklist. My friends who collected had the same problem with those four. Later in the year I went to downtown Chicago, to some event with my parents; we went into a downtown Walgreen’s, and they were selling cello packs of 10 cards, fifth series, no bubble gum, where you could see the top and bottom card. I instantly saw all four rare cards on the tops and bottoms of several of these packs, so I bought three packs—enough to insure I got one of each, I got two of each except Ward. So I would conclude, whatever the actual volume of those four cards was in relation to others in the same series, the distribution of those four cards was not consistent in wax packs, where all cards in a series can ordinarily be expected to be found in roughly equal numbers.

The first four series of topps 1958 were actually issued in groups of 110, so the first four "series" covered 1-440. The fifth series was exactly half that, 55 cards, from 441 to 495. You’d think Topps could have used the ordinary 110 card sheet to print the fifth series in duplicate, without creating any short prints, so the reason for those four short prints is still a mystery to me.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
David these articles are a fantastic look at the history of the development of the hobby. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Many decades ago my much older brother gifted me either the 1962 or 1963 Card Collector's catalog, the only bit of hobby ephemera that he had saved, and which I still have buried somewhere. I always found it fascinating to ponder what my brother could have ordered (I don't believe he ever did any mail ordering), and now can place it within the history of the hobby dealer, thanks to your postings.

Thanks again, and looking forward to the next salvo...

Brian
I did find that catalog, and posted it on a separate thread, but for some reason never bothered to post it on this thread. Life has given me a second opportunity to rectify this oversight and to serve mankind in a tiny way. Here is that post from 2017:

1963 Card Collectors Company Order...almost

In David's series of postings about the history of the hobby he included a scan of a Card Collectors Company price list from the early 1960's. I found my much older brother's copy of this price list (he handed over all his hobby stuff to me and my other brother back in the early 1970's), and included in the price list is an order form filled out by my brother.

He was a big Dodgers and Duke Snider fan, so it is not surprising that all the higher price (10 and 15 cent) early 50's cards he has listed feature Duke Snider. He also has the Snider and Ted Williams 1956 Topps Buttons (Pins) on the order form.

Even his alternate choices in the 1957 set for the most part showcased his search for the stars: Ted Williams, Aaron, Ford, F. Robinson, Spahn, Snider, Koufax, Campanella, Yankees Power Hitters card, while his Dodgers slant accounts for Jim Gilliam, Dodgers Sluggers and Dodgers Team Card selection. The Giles/Harridge card selection is just plain weird and my brother is no longer invited to future family gatherings because of it.

His was probably a typical kid order...trying to get the big names at the flat rate listed for each year. I can definitely see that it was just this type of order that would have, like David laid out in his posting, lead to dealers implementing more extensive tiered pricing for the star players in a set.

Alas, he never mailed this order off, so the Card Collectors Company never got his hard earned dollar, but at least you all get to see my brother's relatively neat handwriting.

Brian (my brother's name has been intentionally obscured to protect the guilty. A bonus is that the order should come quicker now due to the advent of Priority Mail).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardcollectorsco370.jpg (80.0 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg cardcollectorsco371.jpg (79.2 KB, 375 views)
File Type: jpg cardcollectorsco372 (543x800).jpg (72.6 KB, 371 views)
Old 09-12-2021, 09:40 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Did anyone on here ever order the 1952 Topps set for $ 79 or less ?
No, but I did order thirty Mantles for fifty cents each! I still own them all today!
Old 09-13-2021, 12:07 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Wonderful contribution. Nice to see Bill H. before he became the Monster.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:22 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoaustin View Post
I bought the 1958s in wax packs of 6 cards with bubble gum in the Chicago neighborhoods, at ma and pa grocery stores or local Walgreen’s. Those 4 cards, Harrell, Ward, Geiger and Hardy were simply not included in those wax packs—they were the only unmarked cards on my topps series checklist. My friends who collected had the same problem with those four. Later in the year I went to downtown Chicago, to some event with my parents; we went into a downtown Walgreen’s, and they were selling cello packs of 10 cards, fifth series, no bubble gum, where you could see the top and bottom card. I instantly saw all four rare cards on the tops and bottoms of several of these packs, so I bought three packs—enough to insure I got one of each, I got two of each except Ward. So I would conclude, whatever the actual volume of those four cards was in relation to others in the same series, the distribution of those four cards was not consistent in wax packs, where all cards in a series can ordinarily be expected to be found in roughly equal numbers.

The first four series of topps 1958 were actually issued in groups of 110, so the first four "series" covered 1-440. The fifth series was exactly half that, 55 cards, from 441 to 495. You’d think Topps could have used the ordinary 110 card sheet to print the fifth series in duplicate, without creating any short prints, so the reason for those four short prints is still a mystery to me.
Just plain old Topps shenanigans:

http://www.thetoppsarchives.com/2010...-your-fun.html

http://www.thetoppsarchives.com/2010...ing-slots.html
Old 09-14-2021, 05:59 AM
Albert Bee

Default collecting

great research...very entertaining
Old 09-14-2021, 12:52 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
No, but I did order thirty Mantles for fifty cents each! I still own them all today!
That is absolutely insane!
Old 09-14-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
That is absolutely insane!
I believe he was yanking our collective (collector) chains.

Brian
Old 09-14-2021, 02:04 PM
�tis J�hns�n

"You’d think Topps could have used the ordinary 110 card sheet to print the fifth series in duplicate, without creating any short prints, so the reason for those four short prints is still a mystery to me."

My understanding is the short prints exist because of the four team cards that have alphabetical checklists.